JAMIE CARRAGHER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:42 pm

worcester_red wrote:
shakey wrote:For everyone who says he is past it etc....... :rasp

What he lacks in pace he makes up for with his footballing brain.
Great lastnite :buttrock

So he was good against a championship side, big fecking whoop, the fact is that he has become a liability in Premiership matches and last time I checked that was still the most important thing. He needs to be phased out and if need be we need to be buying or developing more CB's. I think Agger is much better than him but agree that Skittles if extremely limited as well. I alos have high hopes for Coates so as long as Agger can stay fit we look ok in CB.

agreed. Carragher needs to be phased out. he isn't who he was years ago.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby only me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
only me wrote:
metalhead wrote:
Roger Red Hat wrote:how can it be Spearings fault for the peno when it was Carra who flew in and put the striker on his ar$e?

He didn't have to fly it like that.

He didn't have a choice did he? let the player skip past him and look like an idiot? He was forced and attempted to do a last ditch tackle after Spearing lost the ball in our own penalty box! That was a school boy error from Spearing and that forced Carragher to do something about it. All good defenders would have done the same, sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't

Again not argueing the Spearing mistake ,it was indeed a school yard error ,but the brighton player was moving backwards and Carra just throw a wild tackle. He had plenty of choices he picked the wrong one.

No disrespect but that response sounds like you have never played football. When you are on the byline the only realistic way to move is away from goal - if you want to score.

It's different if your further out, in those (and most) circumstances your chances of scoring become less the further out you go. However, when you're on the byline moving backwards increases you chances of scoring as you are increasing the shooting angle.

I understood, Carragher understood, you need to understand this to explain why the tackle was made.

You got me have no CL football under my belt :)

I understand that the Brighton player was backing inorder to expend his shooting angle at goal but that is why exactly Carra shouldn't have put a wild tackle, Wild tackles in my humble opinion should be used in order to stop an immidiate shot at goal when a player is faced towords the goalkeeper. As this isn't the first tackle i seen Carra miss as of late i doubt he understands and if he does maybe he isn't quick accurate enough to complete a clean tackle.

Tell you the truth i just hate seeing tackles in the penalty box ,it almost never ends well.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Ridiculous that Carra is being blamed for the penalty last night. As soon as he made that tackle I knew he would get stick for it from some which is a real shame because for me he was outstanding. Covered fro both Coates AND Robinson in many occasions and if it wasnt for him it would have been a different result.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Fantastic again today
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Great performance today and continues to prove that hes by far our best defender.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Jamie Carragher 'accepts and understands' why he was on the bench last weekend - but believes he still has a big part to play in Liverpool's quest for glory.

In an in-depth interview with the Daily Telegraph, the 33-year-old reflected on being omitted from the starting XI against Chelsea last Sunday - the first time he has missed an important game when available for 11 seasons.

He said: "I am not the future of Liverpool. Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates are. But I can still be part of the present for a few more years. It's only one game I've not been selected so it's not the end yet.

"Over the last decade if I had missed a match I would have gone straight back into the team when available. This time I didn't and I have to accept it, agree with it and understand it. I was out for a couple of weeks and the lads who came in did really well. I've always said mental strength is important in every player and this is another test of that.

"In the past there were people saying if Steven Gerrard and me weren't playing there was a problem, but now you look at it and say out of the last three games we've won two away from home. That's good for the club. We have to look to the future. I'm sure the manager, Damien Comolli and owners are looking at that while wanting to make sure we're doing everything to win from one week to the next. I think I can speak for Stevie too when I say we're desperate to help the club win trophies as much as we can, whether we play all the games or not.

"That has always been our aim. I still always want to play the next game, but this club has been great to me and I will never be disrespectful to it or to anyone who is selected ahead of me. That was one of the things Gérard Houllier always said to me. You must respect those that are playing, especially those in your position.

"If I've played nearly 700 games for Liverpool, it means someone else has been on the bench showing respect for me, so I have no problem when it is the other way around. I am at one of the biggest teams in the world, a club which is looking for players in every country. We're not some Mickey Mouse club short of top-class players so to have been able to go straight back into the team every time for so long has been a great achievement.

"You want to be involved and you're disappointed when you are not, but I am aware my situation is changing over the next few years. Last weekend may have been one of the first signs of that."

Carragher's leadership on the pitch and the knowledge he displays in interviews and TV appearances have led many to assume he will become a manager one day.

But that is not necessarily the case.

"I have an idea what I would like to do," he said. "You're basically left with two options when you finish: the managerial route or a media job. Whatever's best for my family and me will determine that. I'm not 100 per cent certain to become a manager because I won't take any job just to stay in the game and I have done some media work, which I enjoy.

"In my first year after retiring I will take time out with the family and also try to see how different coaches work. Maybe I will try to see how Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho and some of the top Italian coaches work on the training ground. Arsène Wenger, too. I try and analyse everything - why a manager has made one decision over another. It's not to be critical; it is because I always think about the game after it's been played. Management is getting more difficult because everyone has an opinion now. It used to just be the press, but now it is the public through social networking on Twitter, Facebook and whatever else.

"People need to understand how difficult it is for players to go straight into coaching. Andre Villas-Boas started his coaching badge at 16, so think how far ahead he is of a player just starting that process in his early thirties. It takes a long time to get the qualifications, although you pick up experience and knowledge from playing.

"Stuart Pearce organised it for me to spend time on the FA licence course in Reading last summer and I really enjoyed it and I will definitely do the two-week course needed to pass all my badges."

The FA is keen for Carragher to become one of its elite coaches, according to the Daily Telegraph.

But if one of Liverpool's greatest ever players does go on to have a say in how the game develops in this country, he would want to see English football create its own identity rather than trying to be a third-rate copy of someone else.

"We all want to play the Barcelona way, but we can't," he said. "People are getting too obsessed about copying them. Even when they're in a bit of trouble you see goalkeepers wanting to show what good footballers they are, playing it from the back. What did Sir Alex Ferguson say about David de Gea's mistake against Benfica the other night? That he should have kicked the ball into the stand. He is right, but Barcelona have changed how people think about the game.

"I love watching them play, but they had the same philosophy during the days they were struggling to qualify for the Champions League and we were beating them in the Uefa Cup. They just have players that are a lot better at it now.

"When I started everyone was saying the same about Ajax. They were the blueprint for our academy. Then everyone was talking about Clairefontaine in France. Now it's all about Le Maisa. We always want to do what everyone else has already done. It is right to study them but there is no point copying. What we have to develop is our own identity.

"I read what my friend Xabi Alonso said about tackling being perceived as a quality here, but that's part of our culture. Maybe it mattered more 20 years ago, but you can't just change the culture of a country.

"Every father who watches his son play wants him to be a great footballer, but they are also intent on making sure he is not a coward on the pitch. That's the mentality. Wenger explained it very well when he said the English always go to war.

"It's not just about being able to tackle and nothing else, but you want players with the full package. If you can develop the technique, it's competitiveness that can give us an extra edge over other countries.

"Don't give me all this 'It's the fancy dan foreign coaches' who play all the great football, either. Of all the managers I've had at Liverpool, the ones who wanted to play the most football were a fella from Bootle, Roy Evans, and a fella from Glasgow, Kenny Dalglish. I'm not saying the others wanted long-ball football, but they were more tactical and that meant doing anything to win, even if it meant hitting it early to the big man up front, Emile Heskey, who Gérard Houllier bought, or Peter Crouch, signed by Rafa Benítez.

"We would go to Europe, play 10 men behind the ball and get a result and we were very successful playing that way winning everything but the league title. It's not right to criticise that, either, but it has been like that in this country for a long time. Sven-Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello were the same. It is always about the players you've got. It doesn't matter which way you go, the game of football is there to be won and there are many different ways to do it."

Link

------

I see he is accepting that he won't feature as much as he did before

Great interview by the way
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 pm

metalhead wrote:"Stuart Pearce organised it for me to spend time on the FA licence course in Reading last summer and I really enjoyed it and I will definitely do the two-week course needed to pass all my badges."

The FA is keen for Carragher to become one of its elite coaches, according to the Daily Telegraph.

got to pick up on this point, two years ago he said he had done the course? now he is saying he is going to do the course?

I know this summer he spent working at the club with Kenny seeing how he works and how the club works when theres no football.

going by what danny murphy said during the summer,Carragher was due to do his UEFA Pro Licence?

I am a bit lost!
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 pm

lakes10 wrote:
metalhead wrote:"Stuart Pearce organised it for me to spend time on the FA licence course in Reading last summer and I really enjoyed it and I will definitely do the two-week course needed to pass all my badges."

got to pick up on this point, two years ago he said he had done the course? now he is saying he is going to do the course?

I know this summer he spent working at the club with Kenny seeing how he works and how the club works when theres no football.

going by what danny murphy said during the summer,Carragher was due to do his UEFA Pro Licence?

I am a bit lost!

Not the first time and definatly wont be the last time
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

I am a bit lost!

Not the first time and definatly wont be the last time

Kettle... pot... grimey ar$e
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Grimey @rse ???
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:49 pm

yeah, the saying...    thats like the kettle calling the pot grimey ar$e.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:07 am

Feck me, a 2 week course then he's a fully qualified coach, 'elite' no less.  Probably ready for the England job after Capello.

Still, lets not discourage him after all he's only on 4 million a year.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:29 am

Reg wrote:

Feck me, a 2 week course then he's a fully qualified coach, 'elite' no less.  Probably ready for the England job after Capello.

Still, lets not discourage him after all he's only on 4 million a year.

:laugh:

Its amazing isn't it? To complete my NVQ Level 2 Business Administration course, it took me a year. To cover everything thoroughly, the time had to be dragged out. To be a football manager, it takes 2 weeks !

I bet one of those weeks involve playing Football Manager for an NVQ Level 1 in How to take the p!ss on a professional level !
Last edited by Kharhaz on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 am

I truly believe Carragher has given his all for this club ,he will always be up there with one of the best out and out defenders we have had
here ,but surely  if his love for the club and the fans is as resolute as he professes it to be ,then he should allow young Coates his time at CB .

Since we lost Agger, Jamie's hesitancy in defence has cost us dearly in the Premiership ,and  I'm genuinely trying to make this shout with a
modicum of diplomacy, but we have lost 5 games since Carragher was drafted back in ,and today two glaring misjudgements cost us the game .

Whilst I am fully aware Big Martin conceded the penalty ,it must be said his was a desperate act to rescue the team from Jamies ridiculously
inept header ,and the less said about his lethargy for their winner the better .

In summary this once solid defence we could herald as the one to concede the fewest goals in the league ,has us watching through our fingers
as our defenders confidence slowly but surely dissipates with every game Carragher is involved in .

I hope posters and fans believe me when I say I derive no pleasure in watching a great defenders demise ,because trust me its possibly
the most painful viewing since it dawned on me Torres no longer had the heart to fight for the shirt ,I know they are two very different
extremes ,but both became  excruciating to watch .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 am

finished. i'm sorry, i love the guy but he is now a liability.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion