JAMIE CARRAGHER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:51 am

red till i die!! wrote:was better from him today.
one thing you can always be sure of is that he would throw himself and probably his missus and kids in front of a challenge if he could.
shame though he conceded another penalty even if you choose to blame spearing for it.

Nothing to do with "choosing" to blame Spearing, he was to blame. He inexplicably kept a ball in inside his own box whilst a striker was on his back?

Carragher did what any defender would do and made a last ditch tackle.

Carragher was outstanding last night. The diving headed clearance in the second half was him at his best.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
one thing you can always be sure of is that he would throw himself and probably his missus and kids in front of a challenge if he could.
shame though he conceded another penalty even if you choose to blame spearing for it.

Nothing to do with "choosing" to blame Spearing, he was to blame. He inexplicably kept a ball in inside his own box whilst a striker was on his back?

Carragher was outstanding last night. The diving headed clearance in the second half was him at his best.

Giving a Penalty is never a proof of good defending. Yes it was all Spearing mistake in the first place but Carra ,again ,with a wild tackle on a player which was heading back from goal ,gave away a penalty.

Look at the replay to refresh your memory.

Other then that Yes ,Carra had a good game.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 am

The peno was completely Spearings fault.  Don't know what the lad was thinking... 
A clean sheet would of being the biggest positive to take from last night.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 am

how can it be Spearings fault for the peno when it was Carra who flew in and put the striker on his ar$e?

He didn't have to fly it like that.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 am

Roger Red Hat wrote:how can it be Spearings fault for the peno when it was Carra who flew in and put the striker on his ar$e?

You can't write off Spearning mistake leaving the ball in play to a brighton player infront of goal, It's true Carra attempt to control the damage resulted in a wild tackle and penalty.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:25 am

Roger Red Hat wrote:how can it be Spearings fault for the peno when it was Carra who flew in and put the striker on his ar$e?

He didn't have a choice did he? let the player skip past him and look like an idiot? He was forced and attempted to do a last ditch tackle after Spearing lost the ball in our own penalty box! That was a school boy error from Spearing and that forced Carragher to do something about it. All good defenders would have done the same, sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 am

metalhead wrote:

He didn't have a choice did he? let the player skip past him and look like an idiot? He was forced and attempted to do a last ditch tackle after Spearing lost the ball in our own penalty box! That was a school boy error from Spearing and that forced Carragher to do something about it. All good defenders would have done the same, sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't

Again not argueing the Spearing mistake ,it was indeed a school yard error ,but the brighton player was moving backwards and Carra just throw a wild tackle. He had plenty of choices he picked the wrong one.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:58 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

spearing should have hoofed it into the stand rather than falling over it,that was his mistake but carragher is the one who went to ground and conceeded the pen.
whilst you were at the game and im sure you enjoyed it but watching it on the tv we had the advantage of replays and it was a sloppy challenge by carra and always a pen.
other than that though carra was immense but when you look at the stats on penaltys conceeded its carra 2 spearing 0.
if we want to pin it on someone else im sure we can backtrack on that play and find someone who gave the possession away in the first place and pin it on him
:eyebrow
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm

shakey wrote:For everyone who says he is past it etc....... :rasp

What he lacks in pace he makes up for with his footballing brain.
Great lastnite :buttrock

Yeah he was good. But let's not forget he was playing against a Championship side. And against the last 2 league sides he's played he has made at least 1 individual error in each game which has led to goals being conceded.
Last edited by tubby on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 pm

oh please (insert head in hand smiley) - are you really giving him stick for the peno last night.  Its almost a witch hunt now!

supporter [səˈpɔːtə]
n
1. a person who or thing that acts as a support
2. a person who backs a sports team, politician, etc.

Just in case you where not sure of your job :p
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 pm

I believe the pen was completely Spearings fault.  Carra only had a split second to react to what can only be described as a catastrophic error by Jay :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby worcester_red » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 pm

shakey wrote:For everyone who says he is past it etc....... :rasp

What he lacks in pace he makes up for with his footballing brain.
Great lastnite :buttrock

So he was good against a championship side, big fecking whoop, the fact is that he has become a liability in Premiership matches and last time I checked that was still the most important thing. He needs to be phased out and if need be we need to be buying or developing more CB's. I think Agger is much better than him but agree that Skittles if extremely limited as well. I alos have high hopes for Coates so as long as Agger can stay fit we look ok in CB.
worcester_red

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:oh please (insert head in hand smiley) - are you really giving him stick for the peno last night.  Its almost a witch hunt now!

supporter [səˈpɔːtə]
n
1. a person who or thing that acts as a support
2. a person who backs a sports team, politician, etc.

Just in case you where not sure of your job :p

ahh ok i get it now.
see no evil,hear no evil,speak no evil :talktothehand
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:00 pm

only me wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Again not argueing the Spearing mistake ,it was indeed a school yard error ,but the brighton player was moving backwards and Carra just throw a wild tackle. He had plenty of choices he picked the wrong one.

No disrespect but that response sounds like you have never played football. When you are on the byline the only realistic way to move is away from goal - if you want to score.

It's different if your further out, in those (and most) circumstances your chances of scoring become less the further out you go. However, when you're on the byline moving backwards increases you chances of scoring as you are increasing the shooting angle.

I understood, Carragher understood, you need to understand this to explain why the tackle was made.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:36 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
only me wrote:
metalhead wrote:

No disrespect but that response sounds like you have never played football. When you are on the byline the only realistic way to move is away from goal - if you want to score.

It's different if your further out, in those (and most) circumstances your chances of scoring become less the further out you go. However, when you're on the byline moving backwards increases you chances of scoring as you are increasing the shooting angle.

I understood, Carragher understood, you need to understand this to explain why the tackle was made.

Carragher calculated that a penalty would be less dangerous than a clear shot on goal. He was partly right and if theyd have missed he would have been a hero
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion