It was warnock - Not pele

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:37 pm

Just aiming for a bit of balance. 

Reading a lot about Pelle, but it was young Warnock who was at fault for the second goal.  He left his position, aiming for a glory hunting interception that just wasn't there, leaving a dirty great big hole for Soton to cross from.  Wasn't the first time he did it in the game either.  Now youthful enthusiasm isn't bad, but if a ****** old guy who can actually read a game and is more interested in getting to the end of the game without a hernia instead of trying to be a flash harry had been in LB (like me or maybe Pelle :D ) you would never have seen that goal.

Hope he watches that goal a few times.  Hard lesson to learn but he had better learn it quick.  The game was lost with that goal because of a split second of recklessness.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:04 pm

Ok, I'm not really suggesting we try Pelle at LB.

But I'd be keen for a run :;):
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:05 pm

nah i wudnt b keen puttin pele left bk
he havnt got enuff pace an he is a bit rusty(not much match fitness)
he wud b feckin poo left bk m8 i duni wa ya tryin to say
???
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby Raoul » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:19 am

simply trying to point out that it wasn't Pelle at fault for both goals - which I've read, and that Warnock's inexperienced showed - a mistake Pelle wouldn't have made.  I was NOT saying play him at LB - agreed that would be awful.

I'd read a lot of posters talking about how awful Pelle was, and I think only one negative aside about Warnock's role in the second goal.  Seemed a bit one sided as 1-0 down wasn't the end of the world, but the second goal was the proverbial nail in the coffin.  That doesn't make Warnock's mistake for the second worse than Pelle's for the first, but in the context of the game it was to my mind Warnock's mistake was the turning point - so it was more significant.

Sorry, I tend to write a bit vaguely - my dry sense of humour or something - my comments don't always come across all that clearly I know...

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:23 am

Everybody might make a mistake, I think it's more of how your team members can cover your mistake. That really shows the team work.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:34 am

dry sense of humour... must be very dry.... i didnt even notice there was a joke ???
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Paul C » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:32 am

Yeah you should be able to cover players when they go forward, look at Roberto Carlo cos he's always out of position but it's covered by other players :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:13 am

Are you sure? Real Madrid Covering in defence? ???
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:50 am

Pele was also at fault for the second goal. They showed it in slow motion or RTE and it was clear the pele did not cover the southampton player running down the wing which he should have.

He was also lucky not be at fault for a third goal as he was standing on the wrong side of his man (isn't that something thats drilled into you when you are 10) for a cross which was headed over.

He was terrible. Also seems really slow, slower than hypia. Why did we get a 33 year old argie to play in Carraghers postiion when Jamie was playing really well at centre back.

Hopefully Rafa will learn from his mistake and bring Carrgaher back to the middle.

Serious questions.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:51 am

Big Niall wrote:Pele was also at fault for the second goal. They showed it in slow motion or RTE and it was clear the pele did not cover the southampton player running down the wing which he should have.

He was also lucky not be at fault for a third goal as he was standing on the wrong side of his man (isn't that something thats drilled into you when you are 10) for a cross which was headed over.

He was terrible. Also seems really slow, slower than hypia. Why did we get a 33 year old argie to play in Carraghers postiion when Jamie was playing really well at centre back.

Hopefully Rafa will learn from his mistake and bring Carrgaher back to the middle.

Serious questions.

Agreed :Oo:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:04 pm

The original poster has a point in that Pellegrino was by no means the only one at fault for either goal. Unfortunately for him, as he was involved in both he instantly became scapegoat by association, the only surprise is that he hasn't sofar been blamed for the Everton defeat aswell, and while we are at it he could probably have done better with the goal in Monaco.
My read was for the first goal he needed to put his foot through it first time, curiously what many on here criticised him for on his debut. That said, it was a good lay-off by Crouch and I think we are all entitled to expect Dudek to do a whole lot better. He really is an absolute liability right now in my view.
For the second goal Warnock went missing and Pelligrino (I think) tried to play offside. Many have said he should've covered the run of Prutton but he wouldn't have had the pace to get there anyway. 'Course when the cross comes in, Crouch buries it and its all big bad Pelligrino. Sami's no mug, the best place to be when the centre-forward is getting a free header in front of goal is nowhere to be seen. that way, none of the numpty analysts on SKY pick up on it.
Must be Pelligrino's fault. Useless. 33? past it mate. Sign that Southgate bloke from Middlesboro, he's a much better bet. Loads of pace he has too.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:10 pm

As a follow-up to the previous rant I'd just like to add a couple of things. Firstly, you attack and defend as a team. Aside from goalkeeperial (I know theres no such word) blunders, goals are rarely one players fault (Traore's Bambi/Zidane turn the obvious exception). Our pressing of the ball Saturday was almost non-existent, allowing the likes of Jamie Redknapp to look like a world-beater. Watching Arsenal-Newcastle yesterday was like watching a different Sport in terms of determination and tempo.
Secondly, given that Pelligrino has an obvious lack of pace, the mistake is probably more in pairing him with Sami than in his original signing. Just a thought as he wouldn't be the first centre-half in my memory to be slow but good.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:18 pm

Pellegrino never had pace at Valencia either, but that didn't stop him from being one of the best defenders in Europe.

I've analysed the game again and again, and no matter what way you look at it, Pellegrino was at fault for the first goal. He should have hoofed it clear, or at least if he was going to control and play it, know that Prutton was approaching and used his frame to shield the ball.

The second goal was Pellegrino's fault as well, in my opinion. Warnock made the run to the player in possession, leaving a gap behind him. Really Pellegrino should immediately have tracked back to cover the runner (Prutton). Instead Pellegrino didn't seem to realise that Warnock had advanced to the ball holder and Pelle stepped forward by a few yards, before realising what had happened.

I think both goals can be put down to lack of match fitness (particularly the first: its the kind of mistake any of us here can [and have] made in a Sunday morning game after a few beers the night before) as Pellegrino's touch was sluggish and he wasn't tuned in to what was going on behind him for the first goal and the second was due to being sluggish and not used to his new team mates.

I think Pellegrino will come good, but I suspect he was brought here as an "emergency" signing and he won't be here in 18 months time.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:21 pm

pellegrino was a stop gap measure. everyone should realise that. however i really can't understand why we broke up our centre half partnership again. surely we would be better with sami and carra in the middle with raven at right back for the watford game. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:26 pm

how about we stop pointing fingers and naming names. Its a new week and new oppertunites, so lets think of it that way,and not dwindle on the past.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion