It's incredible really, - The lack of reaction on here.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:14 am

bigmick wrote:It's unfortunate but it seems to be inevitable that discussions visa-vis the mananger turn into people throwing insults at each other. Part of me has a hankering for a time when people could voice an opinion without being ridiculed, lambasted and abused, but another part of me accepts this is unlikely in the short term.

I think some of the treatment dished out to the people who think that Rafa should be given another year as manager (I use the long winded description as some people on here don't like labels, "In Rafa we trusters" and the like) is unfair. It reminds me of some of the comments I endured earlier in the decade when I bemoaned the lack of logic in the rotation system, or earlier this season when I said we were out of the title race (a tad prematurely at the time as it turned out). There's no need for it and on a personal level (as that's all you are ever in control of at the end of the day) I'm not going to get involved in it myself. I may take the p!ss sometimes, but thats as far as it goes.

At the end of the day, thinking the manager should stay or go, or thinking he's done a good or a bad job under the circumstances is only ever an opinion. Similarly, whether or not you think rotation has worked for us or not is an opinion, as is whether or not it will work in the future. People can base their opinion and selectively pick out historical facts in whichever way best suits their point. If I was one of those people who thinks that Rafa should be allowed to see out his contract, and ultimately should be allowed the utmost longevity to continue to build upon the start he has made at rebuilding the club, in whichever manner he sees fit and in keeping with the long held traditions of Liverpool Football Club and in mind of all its illustrious history (a Rafa supporter for short) then I would point to the managers record in Spain. I would point out that often in football great things are achieved after a period of adversity, and that to cut our losses now will mean we've had the pain without waitng for the gain. I would point out that great football teams are made by the glueing together of great players, and it takes time. The Gerrards, the Torres's, the Masherano's etc etc and World Class players when put together attract other World Class players. I would ask for one more season to see which World Class players are attracted to the light like flies to a flame, the light which burns benath the smoke of our extended blip. I'd argue that the light was there but it was just that we couldn't see it right at the moment.

I might be wrong of course in saying that (it's always woth considering the eventuality  :) ) but then again I might be right. Nobody can say for certain that another season of Rafa style won't work. I'm pretty sure it won't, and I have said why many times, but there is the possibility that multiple rotations may suddenly click. This is why Lando, Sabre, Leon, Redtrader and the rest of the people who thing that on balance, perhaps we should resist the temptation to pull the trigger on rafa if indeed the temptation exists, and probably in view of the great nights the manager has given us in his four year tenure he should be given more time (Rafa supporters for short) are totally entitled to their view. That's why although I do take the p!ss sometimes as I say, I don't begrudge them their opinion.

Being labelled Pro Rafa grates with some of us only because our support of him is NOT based on what we believe is best for him, but what would be best for the Club. His CV before coming to our Club and his successes since have given a fair few of us confidence in his ability to continue achieving. Having A bad season is not enough IMO to dismiss him and start all over again. I suppose the point of contention being that OVERALL i think each season Rafa has been incharge, prior to this one, has had success in it, conversely many are ready to point only to the League deficiencies, as though that is the only prize we play for. Although the LEague stats are not impressive, IMO Rafas first three years have been about getting us into a position to challenge, and the frustration and anger towards him this season has been because WE all thought we'd be there or there abouts. I think that includes the players aswell, and may also be another reason why they are serving us dross right now, I get the feeling they want to press reset and start the season all over again. 

I would like him to have another season only because i don't want to start another rebuilding phase, while our opposition get further ahead, I want us to remain a Club that takes a longer term view, that understands there will be ups and down but that we don't react to press speculation and a run of bad results. Personally Rafa has earnt the right to have a season without upheaval and with the players he has assembled, again many believe that the off field activities shouldn't affect the manager and players performances, I fail to see how it cannot. If the full backing and continual support of the board and owners is seen as a vital ingredient to success (for example Wenger and Fergie) why then would the opposite not also be true? He is vilified for not having taken on an assistant, but how can he hire one when he doesn't know if he will be here past the Summer? and he needs one.

The main failings for me have been that Rafa hasn't sorted out the strikers, stats wise Kuyt and Morientes should have worked but scouting should have identified why they wouldn't work in the EPL. Crouch and Voronin didn't even have the stats to help them, they are also not top Class, we sometimes turn to Crouch but only because he is marginally better than the rest, but is still mediocre. Can't he pick class? well given the moola he got us Torres, even if our Spanish correspondant thought he would fail  :D  Also i would like him to stop playing players out of position, not done an awful lot, but whenever he does, it is a glaringly obvious weakness.

As long as we qualify for CL football, get that excellent strike partner for Torres and the owners leave him to it, then i have every confidence we will see that challenge we want in the League. It is only fair on Rafa and US that we get to see the best he can offer.

BTW good post Mick.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 am

oops double post
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby DAV » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 am

we  might be feared in europe
But not in Barnsley,Wigan,Reading,Havant, Worksop or anywhere else in the UK
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:21 am

DAV wrote:we  might be feared in europe

There's a big game on tonight and yet you fail to post anything positive on the matter. Instead you post subjective negative bollox.

Get a grip.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 am

this isnt the thread for tonights game hense i havent talked about about it on here
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:22 pm

I've just gotten the chance to watch this game on MOTD for the first time and I can't get to grips with how we didn't win this one by a goal or 6.

From the highlights in general the team didn't look too bad, despite the odd questionable moment in defence which seems to have become the way of the world with our back 4. That keeper blokey did Grobelaar proud in a couple of wild moments as well.

For the rest it was clear we were a league above them, but we couldn't finish. I have watched it back and am still deciding whether the Barnsley keeper had a good game, or whether we made him look good....taking the Crouch header as an example, admittedly the defender made it difficult, but it was a p1ss poor attempt and a southern European style save.

Feck I really don't know anymore. If we could kill a game off, we'd be a lot better off for sure. We definitely aren't consistent enough and I just hope we get our act together soon.

Interesting that some fans stayed behind at the end of the game. Was anyone from this board there?
Homebooby

Postby Judge » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

There's a big game on tonight and yet you fail to post anything positive on the matter. Instead you post subjective negative bollox.

Get a grip.

lets not hope its his bollox he grips  :suspect:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:47 pm

Just look at the reactions after inter game now  :D

LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL!! LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOOL!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

ITS A FICKLE GAME MATE FOR SURE !!!!!!!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:31 pm

I haven't got onto reading it all yet, but can we assume that as Saturday was nothing to do with the manager, all down to the players, injuries, the owners etc that tonights win will be nothing to do with the manager as well? The players seemed really motivated tonight, whereas they didn't on Saturday. As their lack of motivation on Saturday was absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the manager, the high tempo and effort shown tonight wasn't something he contributed to in any way shape or form either?      ??? :D :laugh:

Seriously, the manager did very well tonight as he often does in this competition. Well done to him for producing under the greatest of presure and the closest of scrutiny. Hats off to him and the team.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:35 pm

bigmick wrote:I haven't got onto reading it all yet, but can we assume that as Saturday was nothing to do with the manager, all down to the players, injuries, the owners etc that tonights win will be nothing to do with the manager as well? The players seemed really motivated tonight, whereas they didn't on Saturday. As their lack of motivation on Saturday was absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the manager, the high tempo and effort shown tonight wasn't something he contributed to in any way shape or form either?      ??? :D :laugh:

Seriously, the manager did very well tonight as he often does in this competition. Well done to him for producing under the greatest of presure and the closest of scrutiny. Hats off to him and the team.

The team had a lack of motivation against Barnsley?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Doesn't it just show though Mick, that his priority is Europe?

I'm not trying to slag him off here, I'm over the moon with tonight's result and performance, but for him to get the best out of the players tonight and not on Saturday does that show AS A CLUB (not just Benitez) AS A CLUB (fans included) that they can only get up for the European nights. I mean I was there on the Kop for both games and tonight the noise was unbearable whereas against Barnsley you could hear a pin drop, even when we were winning. Last 16 of both competitions, yet there seems to be something surrounding the club that Europe must come first.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby whatahitson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 pm

just wish that rafa could do it in other competitions... it frustrates the hell outa me.  one more year and if we are not challenging for number 19 in the last month of the season then he HAS to go... simple
whatahitson

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:42 pm

whatahitson wrote:just wish that rafa could do it in other competitions... it frustrates the hell outa me.  one more year and if we are not challenging for number 19 in the last month of the season then he HAS to go... simple

Hang on mate we don't want to be competeing for a relegation spot  :D

Number 19, I ask you  :p
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:53 pm

Judge wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

Get a grip.

lets not hope its his bollox he grips  :suspect:

Are you watching the game Judge?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion