Is our football really so negative? - Coming up on a century of goals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 pm

To quote you Bob (in response to Rafa's apparent style of play when manager of Valencia); "I'd love it if we won the league twice playing boring football, love it :nod "

I agree Kev, I mean Bob  :D

I don't think we play boring football, our style is a little bit more mechanical than the Manc's or Arsenal, but I really couldn't care less as long as we win.

The difference between last season and our corresponding position now has been our level of efficiency in terms of making those extra goals count. Last season at home after 30 games we'd only scored 29 goals, and amassed 36 points. At home after the same number of games this season, we've scored 38 goals (9 more), and amassed 3 points less (33) - when you'd expect it to be 5 or 6 points more than the previous season. Those 9 extra goals haven't resulted in extra points, i.e. we've been less efficient. For me, a lot of that is down to focus and concentration (e.g. Aston Villa, Wigan, Spurs - 6 points dropped), but also a lack of quality up front (or overreliance on Torres/Gerrard) that has been more evident away from home (Wigan/Blackburn/Man City/Middlesbrough/West Ham - all away). Winning the home games alone would have put us right back in the mix for the title.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 pm

LFC2007 wrote:To quote you Bob (in response to Rafa's apparent style of play when manager of Valencia); "I'd love it if we won the league twice playing boring football, love it :nod "

I don't think we play boring football, our style is a little bit more mechanical than the Manc's or Arsenal, but I really couldn't care less as long as we win.

The difference between last season and our corresponding position now has been our level of efficiency in terms of making those extra goals count. Last season at home after 30 games we'd only scored 29 goals, and amassed 36 points. At home after the same number of games this season, we've scored 38 goals (9 more), and amassed 3 points less (33) - when you'd expect it to be 5 or 6 points more than the previous season. Those 9 extra goals haven't resulted in extra points, i.e. we've been less efficient. For me, a lot of that is down to focus and concentration (Aston Villa, Wigan, Spurs - 6 points dropped), but also a lack of quality up front. Winning those games alone would have put us right back in the mix for the title.

Agreed.  Instead of scoring 8 against Besiktas or 6 against Derby, I'd rather we had scored a few more to turn the draws into wins.  That said, I think the fact that we've managed to score 3 or more goals 16 times this season suggests that we can now play a more expansive style of attacking football than we've seen in the past.  It won't win us the title this season but it is a quality that we can hopefully put to greater effect next campaign.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:23 am

we have scored 99 goals is it after the reading game , our football is not attractive enough but we get the goals , we don't play the best football but we have our moments . Rafa has done a good job and we have been more attacking minded this season
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 am

Bad Bob wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:To quote you Bob (in response to Rafa's apparent style of play when manager of Valencia); "I'd love it if we won the league twice playing boring football, love it :nod "

The difference between last season and our corresponding position now has been our level of efficiency in terms of making those extra goals count. Last season at home after 30 games we'd only scored 29 goals, and amassed 36 points. At home after the same number of games this season, we've scored 38 goals (9 more), and amassed 3 points less (33) - when you'd expect it to be 5 or 6 points more than the previous season. Those 9 extra goals haven't resulted in extra points, i.e. we've been less efficient. For me, a lot of that is down to focus and concentration (Aston Villa, Wigan, Spurs - 6 points dropped), but also a lack of quality up front. Winning those games alone would have put us right back in the mix for the title.

Agreed.  Instead of scoring 8 against Besiktas or 6 against Derby, I'd rather we had scored a few more to turn the draws into wins.  That said, I think the fact that we've managed to score 3 or more goals 16 times this season suggests that we can now play a more expansive style of attacking football than we've seen in the past.  It won't win us the title this season but it is a quality that we can hopefully put to greater effect next campaign.

So not only do you read my posts you pinch my observations
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:46 am

Our football has certainly improved this year especially at the beginning of the season and it's great to watch us play when we're on form but against top sides we go back to playing boring football.  I just wish that Benitez would have more confidence in our team and tell them to attack when we play teams like Man U and Arsenal.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Owzat wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I'm sorry, did you have a trademark on common sense?  Surely you don't think you're the only person that could work out that drawing too many games has cost us in the title race or wondered how we've struggled for goals in some matches whilst knocking them in for fun in others? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:55 pm

It's a good rate of goals, but we really need to spread them out more, especially against the big teams. Anyway, how many League goals have we scored compared to the rest?

This Rafa is negative concept is a complete myth. If you want boring, go and watch Chelsea after spending the best part of £300m.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:09 pm

i think press really know fook all about football i think alot of them talk out of there as.ses more so sky there sunday program i'll watch just it laught at the lame people they have on they really dont know there a.ss from there elbows.

I think at times this season we have made alot of chances and not scored this it seems meens we play negative i dont buy it i think we like all top 4 chase games look for goals and i think this is why the top 4 are the top 4 we have players who can chase games.

Now a real reflection of a negative team are a team like bolton or a wigin and reading these are teams that will defend on each of there box and try to counter attack and tha is negative in my books i wouldnt worrie about them they wont give us any credit ever not as long as sky are the top broadcasters.  :angry:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I'm sorry, did you have a trademark on common sense?  Surely you don't think you're the only person that could work out that drawing too many games has cost us in the title race or wondered how we've struggled for goals in some matches whilst knocking them in for fun in others? ???

:D
66-1112520797

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:14 pm

scoring when it matters wins you points instead of accolades
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Oh so now stats = 'common sense' - especially when Owzat has been banding those stats about. I bet most people wake up in the morning thinking how obvious such stats are and they fill the air in over-breakfast conversation :p

very 'caught with hand in cookie jar' defensive response by the way, maybe ignoring the tongue in cheek comment would have made you appear a little less guilty
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Nice as scoring 100 goals will be, and I must admit I had noticed that we were on the brink after the Reading game, it could end up counting for zilch. We've played 47 games so about 2 a game is hardly prolific, besides we could end up fourth or worse in the league and winning no cups. So here's some stats that Bad Bob can recycle later if he likes :D

2004/5 :

Scored : 82 goals
Premiership : 5th
Trophies : Champions League
Runners-Up : Carling Cup

2005/6 :

Scored : 104 goals
Premiership : 3rd
Trophies : FA Cup, UEFA Super Cup
Runners-Up : World Club Championship

2006/7 :

Scored : 90 goals
Trophies : Community Shield
Runners-Up : Champions League

So pick the season of your choice and decide whether you give two sh1ts about whether or not we scored 100 goals. I'm guessing most would go for 2004/5 when we scored least goals, lost most games and had our lowest league finish under Rafa to date.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Owzat wrote:Oh so now stats = 'common sense' - especially when Owzat has been banding those stats about. I bet most people wake up in the morning thinking how obvious such stats are and they fill the air in over-breakfast conversation :p

very 'caught with hand in cookie jar' defensive response by the way, maybe ignoring the tongue in cheek comment would have made you appear a little less guilty

:laugh:

You seem to have some sort of complex, lad.  Are you the only one who can post up stats?  Is anyone else who throws up some numbers encroaching on your turf?  In case you missed it, I've posted up tons of numbers in the first rotation thread.  Did I steal those off you as well?  :D

As for these particular stats, they are common sense.  No need for a regression analysis, correlation coefficient or line of best fit here--just a few basic steps:

1) Look at the list of our results to date
2) Note the number of draws
3) Note the number of wins where we've scored 3 or more goals
4) Point out that, while the data in #3 are gratifying, a few less data in #2 would have probably served our title challenge better

Not exactly rocket science, hmmm?  So, no, I didn't "pinch your ideas" oh amazing anorak--I worked this complex set of circumstances out all on my own.  :laugh:

Kinell--next you'll be telling us that you were the one that proved that Kewell's been injured lots and that Voronin's actually a bit sh!t.  :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Owzat wrote:Nice as scoring 100 goals will be, and I must admit I had noticed that we were on the brink after the Reading game, it could end up counting for zilch. We've played 47 games so about 2 a game is hardly prolific, besides we could end up fourth or worse in the league and winning no cups. So here's some stats that Bad Bob can recycle later if he likes :D

2004/5 :

Scored : 82 goals
Premiership : 5th
Trophies : Champions League
Runners-Up : Carling Cup

2005/6 :

Scored : 104 goals
Trophies : FA Cup, UEFA Super Cup
Runners-Up : World Club Championship

2006/7 :

Scored : 90 goals
Trophies : Community Shield
Runners-Up : Champions League

So pick the season of your choice and decide whether you give two sh1ts about whether or not we scored 100 goals. I'm guessing most would go for 2004/5 when we scored least goals, lost most games and had our lowest league finish under Rafa to date.

Well, in your rush to defend your turf I see you've completely missed the point of the thread.  Scoring 100 goals is not an achievement in and of itself and I never suggested as much.  The question is whether we are playing a more expansive attacking game this season or not.  Some people, including you by all accounts, like to look at some numbers in assessing these kinds of questions, hence the article about approaching the century mark and hence the numbers about games where we've scored 3+ goals.  Since we managed to do that 12 times last season and have already done it 16 times this season (with at least 10 more games to play), some might suggest we have.  I'm not so certain myself but I thought it might be something people would like to discuss.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:just a few basic steps:

1) Look at the list of our results to date
2) Note the number of draws
3) Note the number of wins where we've scored 3 or more goals
4) Point out that, while the data in #3 are gratifying, a few less data in #2 would have probably served our title challenge better

Not exactly rocket science, hmmm?

Next time you make a comment to acknowledge the input of another poster and in fact, appreciate it, think twice before doing that or you'll be accused of pinching comments!

Meanwhile you were pinching comments, I've done a thorough research of my own. Too complicated to explain the complicated maths here, but eventually reached the conclussion, that should Derby County had won 9 or more games at home, they could have avoided relegation. Brilliant, I know, don't you dare to pinch my results and post them somewhere else, eh?

SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion