Is it time to kill off the community shield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rse » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:46 pm

I know its meant to be the curtain raiser to the new season, but in the current climate in which debate is rife about the number of games the top teams play, has the Community Shield become a bit of a hinderance and a bit irrelevent?

Look at the Mancs.  Theyve got a potential hot and energy sapping game to play on Sunday, a difficult game of immense importance on Wednesday in the Champs League Qualifiers, and then away to Chelsea next weekend.

I know that I would not be happy if Liverpool were involved in this meaningless friendly on Sunday on top of the important Champs League qualifier in midweek. 

I think its time to scrap it.  Its got no place anymore in the football calender.  What do others think?

Last Kop CD Info
rse

Postby barnesrush » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:45 pm

agree completely. the season doesnt need a curtain raiser cos kick off is big enough anyway
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Disagree. I like it. :)
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:07 am

I like it, but I think we should be thankful we aren't in the mancs current position with fixtures.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby barnesrush » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:21 am

we need less games in english football if the national teams ever gonna be as successful as it should be and i know its only one game but it always seems a bit pointless and there is little prestige in winning it
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby adayinthelife » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 am

It has gone downhill in the last few years.

Just wait for the weak starting line ups tomorrow.

Hey stop worrying bout them manc scum.  :angry:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:51 am

Agree with Stu Liverpool have had some great charity shield matches and i have been fortunate enough to attend some classics  :D :D
We havent been involved for a while though :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:55 am

we need less games in english football if the national teams ever gonna be as successful as it should be and i know its only one game but it always seems a bit pointless and there is little prestige in winning it

Disagree.

I think England needs a new manager if its to be successful.

One who gets the players to play a high tempo quick and powerful game, after all thats what this countries footy is known for. Anyways.... ****** the national team.
115-1073096938

Postby barnesrush » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:56 am

well yeah that too but who..... sorry that should be in another forum
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 72-1090627431 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:59 am

rse wrote:I know its meant to be the curtain raiser to the new season, but in the current climate in which debate is rife about the number of games the top teams play, has the Community Shield become a bit of a hinderance and a bit irrelevent?

Look at the Mancs.  Theyve got a potential hot and energy sapping game to play on Sunday, a difficult game of immense importance on Wednesday in the Champs League Qualifiers, and then away to Chelsea next weekend.

I know that I would not be happy if Liverpool were involved in this meaningless friendly on Sunday on top of the important Champs League qualifier in midweek. 

I think its time to scrap it.  Its got no place anymore in the football calender.  What do others think?

<a href="www.kopcd.co.uk" target="_blank">Last Kop CD Info</a>

shut up you bender,
72-1090627431

Postby the great one » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:59 am

i think the champions on england and the champions on scotland should play each other instead
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:03 am

id be more interested in that tgo
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion