INTER MILAN vs LIVERPOOL: CL-11/03/08 - 2nd Leg - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:02 am

The last 16 has been decided and as we finished 2nd in our group we have to play one of the teams who finished first in their respective group.

The rules of the draw are as follows.

Clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn against each other.

Group winners cannot be drawn against each other.

Group runners-up cannot be drawn against each other.

All group runners-up will play their first-leg matches at home.

Therefore the only teams we can face are in bold below.

Porto                                        Liverpool
Chelsea                                     Schalke
Real Madrid                             Olympiacos
AC Milan                                  Celtic
Barcelona                                 Lyon
Manchester United                      Roma
Inter Milan                               Fenerbahçe
Sevilla                                      Arsenal

So it off to Spain or Italy with us.

Real Madrid are currently top of La Liga 4 points ahead of Barcelona. Further down the table are Seville in 9th.

In Seria A Inter Milan are top after 15 games are still unbeaten and are 5 points clear. They are also 19 points clear of ity rivals AC Milan who are not having a great season and are in 10th position at the moment.

Last16  to be played 19/20 February and 4/5 March.
Last edited by Dundalk on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 am

It looks worse than it actually is,

Barcalona : Not at all good his season

Real Madrid : Are the ones we dnt want because they are very good ... good defence , improved midfield , excellent strike force

AC Milan : The second worse team to get because their season is out the window so they probably will concentrate on the CL then their own season ( would loike to beat them for revenge but i'm just looking at the facts)

Seville : Wouldn't bother me getting these but they are the UEFA Champs :p which are in form but so are we ...

Inter Milan : Seen these in pre season against arsenal and they were teribble but i havent seen them since dnt know if they improved a whole lot
holylamb2006

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:24 am

Sevilla - just not on the same level talent wise
AC Milan - for revenge AND they are not doing well in Serie A
Real Madrid - Would want Torres to get the chance to knock them out
Inter
Barca
JoeTerp

Postby Dundalk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 am

JoeTerp wrote:Real Madrid - Would want Torres to get the chance to knock them out

Fernando Torres admits he'd relish the chance to face Real Madrid in the last 16 of the Champions League.
The Spaniard is a boyhood fan of Real's arch rivals, Atletico, and would love to put one over Bernd Schuster's side.

Torres said: "I hope that we draw Real Madrid, that would be a great tie. We have a chance to play a team from Spain or Italy, but playing Madrid would be really good.

"It would be better to play a Spanish side than an Italian one, although it would not be bad to meet Milan and gain some revenge for the final last season.

"It can be a Spanish or Italian team. All the teams are strong and to finish second is not the best.

"But it is all the same really, as we know that the level will be very high.

"Sevilla in the Champions League have been strong and Madrid and Barcelona are teams that aspire to winning the whole competition."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:31 am

not bothered really, i know one thing none of them sides will want to face us, so game on
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:56 am

i lvoe how everyones saying

barca - they suck now
ac or inter - easy
real madrid - they arent bad

any team we gonna get is gonna be tough, but id rather geta  big team than a lesser one. this is the business end, men are shown from boys etc etc. cant wait for the draw... hoping for a spanish team personally as i like seeing a few goals, but out of ac and inter, bring me inter every day.

all teams will fear us though, i bet a fair few of them were hoping for porto to finish second lol
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:28 am

Doesn't really matter now....if we are to win this, we have to play a great team sooner or later....

But you have to admit, there are some weak teams in the 2nd pot...

Schalke
Olympiacos
Celtic
Fenerbahçe

And all the other teams in pot 2 will be hoping to get porto...

Anyway...our season has been extended at least until feb. I am just greatful for that.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:39 am

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:48 am

real madrid plz
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:49 am

Inter are not good in europe because they still play like the old school italian sides - slowly. Juventus had the same problem in that they would romp home in Serie A but when they played a team that played with a high tempo, they get found out. Milan do so well in Europe because they dont play like a typical italian side, they have alot more creativity and attacking flair, even if they are all about 50
burjennio

Postby Elchris » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:13 am

Would love to play against real madrid...!!!!  Will be a tough match , but one i would really want to watch..
Elchris

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I'd also like to draw Real Madrid. They always come forward, but at the same time leave their defence vulnerable for counter attacking, in which we are excelling at the moment. I haven't seen too much of them this season though, but obviously they have improved somewhat. Still, I think this would be an interesting and open game between two of the biggest clubs in european football. But bring on whatever may come, I don't think we should be scared of any of them truthfully.
JamCar05

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:35 pm

I'm not fearing anyone in the draw. Two years ago we drew one of the weakest teams and got knocked out. Last year we drew the favourites and progressed to the final.
I'd like us to draw either Real Madrid or Inter Milan. We've took some big European scalps over recent years, but they are two big clubs that have managed to avoid us.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Best thing this. Big team whoever (yes even Sevilla). The lads will be looking forward to it and there will be no doubt about complacency im certain. You have to beat these anyway if you have any notion of becoming European Champions - Any one of them 5 will do over two legs. Strangely the one who i'd be most wary of is Inter.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Im not saying anything new here but,

Whoever gets us will not relish the thought one little bit.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion