Injury crisis doesn't subside

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Liverpool lose Fabio Aurelio for up to three weeks

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news....cc=4716

Liverpool's defensive injury problems show no sign of subsiding following the news that Rafael Benitez expects Fabio Aurelio to be absent for up to three weeks.

GettyImages

Fabio Aurelio joined Liverpool from Valencia

• Skrtel out until May

Aurelio lasted only 39 minutes of Sunday's victory over Blackburn as he was substituted having strained the quadriceps in his right leg, bringing a swift end to his first Premier League start since January 16. The Brazilian has suffered from a number of fitness problems this season and missed the start of the campaign due to an injury picked up on holiday with his children.

Benitez will now be without Aurelio for three weeks, meaning Emiliano Insua's planned rest will be cancelled, and the injury to the left back is the latest to befall his defence with Martin Skrtel currently sidelined until May with a broken foot and Glen Johnson absent due to a knee problem.

"It's not good news and we think he is going to be out for maybe another two or three weeks - Fabio has had really bad luck," Benitez said. "It all began at the start of the season, when he suffered the injury during the summer with his family, and it's like there has been something every month since then.

"It is a shame because he is a top footballer and a really nice person but him being out leaves us with a problem because we wanted to play him, so we could give Insua a rest. Emiliano is a good young player and has benefited from being involved in so many games but he has been playing a lot recently.

"We needed Fabio so he could help the team and also help Insua. His injury is bad news for both of them."

Daniel Agger also sustained a knee injury in the win over Blackburn at Anfield but Benitez is not unduly concerned about the Denmark international's condition.

"We will continue to watch Daniel," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo. "We are glad that it is nothing serious but whether he is available for Wigan (on Monday) depends on his progression in the next few days."

Anyone who downplays injuries being the cause for our season going the way it's going and our team playing the way they're playing is more than deluded...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Oops messed up the thread title while pasting the source web address. If a mod could remedy it, it should just state "Injury Crisis doesn't subside"... :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

I would genuinely like to say I'm shocked or indeed surprised ,but Aurelio is up there with some illustrious (sick notes ) names  such  as Vegard  Heggem ,or Harry Kewell :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Aurelio not a 1st team player IMO. I am more concerned about the fitness of Agger!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Waldo wrote:Aurelio not a 1st team player IMO. I am more concerned about the fitness of Agger!

Same.

When Agger is on form he is a brilliant cb. Bright future for him I think.
Fauxy

Postby DrPepe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Waldo wrote:Aurelio not a 1st team player IMO. I am more concerned about the fitness of Agger!

i wonder though - i think he's under-rated

he was our regular LB last season, him and riera are players that are 2 players in our squad who are v comfortable on the ball

when those kind of players are available to take the ball and release it from a CM who is under pressure (quick 1-2s etc) then it makes the CM look + operate better and in turn greases the wheels for the entire team

i think the technical ability of those 2 helped xabi operate as effectively as he did last term
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

DrPepe wrote:

he was our regular LB last season, him and riera are players that are 2 players in our squad who are v comfortable on the ball

when those kind of players are available to take the ball and release it from a CM who is under pressure (quick 1-2s etc) then it makes the CM look + operate better and in turn greases the wheels for the entire team

i think the technical ability of those 2 helped xabi operate as effectively as he did last term

Aye. His run of fitness definitely played its part in our good form last season. Couple of good goals too.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28 am

If he is fit, he IS a first team player...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

This "injury crisis", would that be where players this season have played about the same and some even more league games than they did this time last season? The longest absentee is Johnson, Gerrard has played only one less league game and Torres has played more than this stage of last season. Aurelio has almost always been an injury concern since the day he signed, and he's not ahead of Insua in the pecking order so this injury crisis may be a convenient excuse but it has more holes in it than our defence
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Owzat wrote:This "injury crisis", would that be where players this season have played about the same and some even more league games than they did this time last season? The longest absentee is Johnson, Gerrard has played only one less league game and Torres has played more than this stage of last season. Aurelio has almost always been an injury concern since the day he signed, and he's not ahead of Insua in the pecking order so this injury crisis may be a convenient excuse but it has more holes in it than our defence

The point is we lack strength in depth so a few injuries is all it took to expose us this season. You can drop the anti rant... it's boring.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 pm

maguskwt wrote:Anyone who downplays injuries being the cause for our season going the way it's going and our team playing the way they're playing is more than deluded...

Sorry but I disagree entirely with that, and i am happy to completely downplay our injury record. Our 'Big Four' rivals have had more than their fair share. Arsenal have been without Van Persie for most of the season, Eduardo has struggled and Arshavin was their only available frontman for a few weeks, they have also missed Rosicky and Almunia for phases and Fabregas has had some knocks. Chelsea can point to the African Nations Cup and long term injuries to Ashley Cole, Essien and Joe Cole. The mancs had two centre-mids playing centre-half in a Champions League match not long back, Vidic, Ferdinand and Hargreaves have all missed large chunks of the season between them plus they have had knocks to the likes of owen, Scholes and Van Der Sar.

The idea that our injury record this season has been particularly unusual and is the main reason for our failings is complete rubbish when you compare it to the other sides STILL in the Championship race.
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Are Agger and Aurelio both on "pay as you play" deals? If not they should be. It's just unrealistic for either to have a sustained run of games. Good job the Greek is back from a ban this week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Owzat wrote:This "injury crisis", would that be where players this season have played about the same and some even more league games than they did this time last season? The longest absentee is Johnson, Gerrard has played only one less league game and Torres has played more than this stage of last season. Aurelio has almost always been an injury concern since the day he signed, and he's not ahead of Insua in the pecking order so this injury crisis may be a convenient excuse but it has more holes in it than our defence

The point is we lack strength in depth so a few injuries is all it took to expose us this season. You can drop the anti rant... it's boring.

It's not an anti-rant from me though mate, just a big spoonful of realism (that doesn't taste too good). Lets not pin our lack of depth solely at the doors of the owners, I know that's what a lot of posters like to do. Rafa has to take the majority of responsibility for the state of the squad for me. all of the replacement players who have been required to step up this season were bought (and trusted to do a job) by the manager.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

DrPepe wrote:

I agree, I think he's one of our more gifted players. Unfortunately since joining us he seems to have spent more time in the treatment room than he has on the pitch (probably hasn't but it does seem that way) . The fella's also not getting any younger, 31 this year. Not sure what his contract situation is but I think we should be looking at other options

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:41 pm

DrPepe wrote:

I don't think the members of this forum, broadly speaking, underrate Fabio Aurelio. They're just frustrated that this player hadn't a continuous run of games without being injured.

It's difficult to be useful for a team when you're constantly injured or without fitness because you come from an injury.

This is one of the many things that are frustrating the fans as of late.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion