Inane threads and posts - I vote to use the advanced debate forum

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Feeney » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Over the past couple of months I have found myself posting less and less in this forum. The reason for this is due to some seriously stupid threads being started from (some, not all I stress) newer members which, while I know I can ignore, do nothing but get my back up and IMO degrade the good ship Newkit.

I'm bored of trawling through dross one-liners and poor input in the hope of reading a quality post from Bigmick say, and dredging depths of mind numbing idiocy to find a quality retort from Dalglish as another example. I like to have a proper discussion about Liverpool and all things attached and at the moment i feel that I can't fully do that. I'm probably missing some good points by some members because I can't be ar$ed to trawl through cr@p posts.

This sort of topic was raised by a few of the more long term members a few months ago as the site was seen to be heading for skull-crushing lunacy due to spammers and idiotic threads. I ask now, as I asked then (with the support of JBG, if I remember right) if advanced members could use this forum more to avoid us all going insane from silly one line answers and points of discussion that leave us unfulfilled.

Thanks and sorry for the rant.  :)
Last edited by Feeney on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:37 pm

I'm broadly in agreement mate. Characters like this Billy fivebellies bloke do little to raise the attractiveness of the forum, either to read or to post. As a rule I tend to completely avoid any topics started by somebody who is obviously a numpty, save for trawling through to laugh at the odd one-liner from Judgy or Lando.

It's probably most annoying when a good thread gets hijacked and after having posted something which is broadly relavent, you see a sensible and knowledgeable poster largely repeat your points in different language a page later because some idiot has drowned out sensible debate with banal sh!te. Given that the forum has a "general chat" section which always seems to me to be a very lively and entertaining place to tell jokes, discuss nicknames or whatever, I really can't understand the need to swamp the football bit with nonsense. Perhaps some of the more seasoned posters could show a little more restraint though when responding because it does seem to encourage the looney element somewhat.

As for the advanced debate section, it just seems that people are reluctant to use it for some reason. Perhaps if we're all honest we quite enjoy the fact that there are a few village idiots in general discussion as it makes us all seem a bit more knowledgeable. Good luck with the campaign though, I think it's a good idea.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:17 am

Seeing as I just had to stop myself from tearing Billy_5_Times another new one (his 3rd or 4th of the weekend from me)...I guess you could say I'm in! :angry:  I used to frown on the perceived 'elitism' of the Restricted Access area of the forum but after having so many pointless "debates" with some of the numpties kicking about of late, I'd relish so actual intelligent football discussion. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:09 pm

It's not a bad shout Feeny lad. I rarely venture into Advanced Debate (i haven't ventured on General either much the past 6 weeks) but will pop my head in here more often as it is generally a numpty free zone.

Maybe the next time anyone comes up with a decent thread starter try posting it in here and also on General Discussion and see how each thread turns out after a week?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:20 pm

Take your point lads but gaining  access to this area after only 100 posts hardly makes it "advanced" . Half the numpties that join newkit can rack that amount up in under a week . 

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Take your point lads but gaining  access to this area after only 100 posts hardly makes it "advanced" . Half the numpties that join newkit can rack that amount up in under a week . 

:(

Make it a 1,000 posts entry then!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 pm

It’s a good idea Feeney because the small amount of good quality football is being drowned out by newer members who don’t think before they post. But I’m not sure the advanced debate section is the answer, especially since anyone can contribute after posting 100 one liners.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:53 pm

How about qualification is based on time registered with the forum ? Say six months membership required before you can enter the advanced section ? Exceptions could be made at the discretion of the Mods .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:09 pm

How about 2 of the 3 mods have to nominate the user?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feeney » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:46 pm

woof woof ! wrote:How about qualification is based on time registered with the forum ? Say six months membership required before you can enter the advanced section ? Exceptions could be made at the discretion of the Mods .

If that's what it takes Woof - everyone seems to agree that this is a general no-idiot zone, so how about it mods, any chance we can do something to make sure that the restricted Access Forum is a bit more restricted to ensure we only have quality posters here?  ???

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:19 pm

I also agree that entry to the advanced debate section should be based on time and quality of posts..

I have been a member of the forum for some time, yet am not as prolific when it comes to posts as some.

I think the Mods should be looking at quality as opposed to quantity.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:27 pm

I support the idea.

I think that the success of this idea is up to the advanced members. Most of the best threads I've read in this forum have been started precisely by the best posters. If those posters choose to open that discussions in the advanced forum, the success of this section is guaranteed.

"It's not gold everything that shine" we say here, meaning, that not all the premium members post quality always :) , but I do think that if the best discussions are in this section, those posters will make an extra effort to take this section seriously and will put their best here. As for the newbies, they'll be encouraged to give a good input in the good section so that they gain access here.

I don't think premium membership should be a matter of a number of posts. I didn't have to read much of Bad Bob to know he was a good poster (I even thought he was one of you) where as I hardly find anything "footballistically" ( :D ) interesting in some posters that have >3000 posts. Perhaps a poll with a certaint acceptance ratio should be put in the advanced section so that a new premium member is accepted? after all I don't think we're going to quit from reading the general discussion area...

Myself, I'll try to give my best here, when it comes to LFC I come here more to learn than to teach (obviously) but I'll try to give something positive to this section.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Sabre wrote:I don't think premium membership should be a matter of a number of posts. I didn't have to read much of Bad Bob to know he was a good poster

what you mean is, you couldn't be ar$ed reading most of what he wrote. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:49 pm

stmichael wrote:
Sabre wrote:I don't think premium membership should be a matter of a number of posts. I didn't have to read much of Bad Bob to know he was a good poster

what you mean is, you couldn't be ar$ed reading most of what he wrote. :D

:angry:

Quit spamming the Advanced Debate forum, St. Mike, or we'll report you to a Mod!

Cheers Sabre!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm strongly against it, what gives someone the right to call another person's opinion s.hit? You don't have to type 6000 word essay's just to shed your opinion and it's people like Lando and Judge that pull this forum down, by posting non-football related things in the topics which contain football discussions. People like Billy_5_Times whilst I didn't agree with anything he said actually contributed to the discussion, with a different input.
48-1119859832

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion