If you were houllier who would you buy - With only 10 million

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laurence_2k2 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:19 pm

With ten million it would have to be cisse!hes a natural goal scorer and i think he would be class with owen(if we can keep him).Houllier should try everything to try and convince van der vaart to sign but i get the feeling that hes way out of our league!

In Jan dont give houllier any money to spend yet just let him sell those waste of space players, then buy from the money made i.e smicer,biscan,traore,diouf,daio etc etc

we need another gary mcallister

"At the end of the storm theres a golden sky"
Just be positive reds we can get this club back to what it used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:30 am

wow... someone positive thank f##k for that.

unfortunately mate positive isn't the right attitude on these boards i'm affraid. unless you want us to be another "Tottenham" then your views aren't worth a carrot basically and people won't see what you are saying.

Cisse will cost in the region of £12m... he should be an excellent signing for us if we get him.

We also need a centre half and a right sided midfielder maybe.

Houllier, i would think will get between £15m-£20 million this summer providing all goes well which i am confident it will.

Hopefully he'll get it right this summer aswell as 2003 (Kewell Finnan, Le Tallec, Sinama), 2001 (Riise, Anelka *jan*), 2000(Babbel, McAllister, Barmby, Arphexad, Diomede, Zeige) and 1999 (Smicer, Hyypia, Henchoz) then it will be 1 bad out of 6. Mind you one bad out of 5 is enough to sack someone these days :)
115-1073096938

Postby Supermarius » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:22 am

scotty parker from charlton -10 million plus smicer or biscan
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:30 am

5 m + El Hadji Diouf = Cisse

2 m + Vladimir Smicer = Dennis Rommedahl

3 m + Salif Alassane Diao / Igor Biscan = Philippe Mexes
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Coley » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:25 am

I'm not sure about Cisse, although i probably haven't seen enough of him.  I'd rather we bought someone proven in the premier league, not necessarilly english, but proven all the same.  Viduka fits the bill.  He'd get us 20 plus goals a season and we'd have a reliable goalscorer in MO's absence.
Coley

Postby Coley » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:27 am

...forgot to say, agree with you stu the red about a right sided midfielder and centre half.  I think (with everyone fit) we would have a cracking squad then.  Just not sure if they would be properley motivated by the boss, but it woudl give us more of a chance.  :)
Coley

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:06 am

£10 million wont buy you much these days, unless we can offload some of the exisitng players.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Steed Malbranque's contract at Fulham hasn't much to run, and they might be forced to sell him in the summer if it isn't sorted. I couldn't swear on that, but there was a tiny bit of a dispute between Malbranque and Fulham over his contract last summer.

I think Malbranque would be a very good signing, as he could slot in on the right, on the left, or behind the front two. He's a very similar player to Smicer, but in my opinion (and I reckon most people will agree with me), Malbranque is a better player. He told the newspapers last year that he'd love to join Liverpool.

I'm going to appease Stu the Red and Dalglish by saying that I would give Bruno Cheyrou a chance after him scoring the winner against Chelsea. Bruno needs to stay fit, but I think that the message has finally hit home to him now that he needs to deliver. While Smicer has had his best season by a mile for Liverpool this year, I think that the Czech is not getting any younger and he is still very much hot and cold. Cheyrou was compared to Zidanne when he played in France and I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do. I would say the same for Diao, and when he comes back from injury he should be given a chance in midfield: its not really fair on him that he is played in defence.

If I was Houllier I would say to Diao, Diouff and Cheyrou: "listen lads, this is getting serious. You need to perform or I'll have to sell you in the summer."

I think everyone will agree that Diouff is slowly improving but he's still miles off the quality we need, and a serious decision will have to be made about him soon, because unlike Diao and Cheyrou, he has been given many chances by Houllier (although in fairness to El Hadj he has been played out of position).

I think people who suggest signing new players by offering some of our own lads in exchange are being unrealistic. Modern football, in the wake of Bosman, just doesn't work that way. For example, those who say that we should offer £5million to Auxerre for Cisse plus sending Diouff in the opposite direction are just being unrealistic. Auxerre are a tiny club punching above its weight even in France (it comes from a town of only 35,000 people or so, not much bigger than the likes of Yeovil), and they pay tiny wages. Diouff would never return to France unless it was to Marseille, PSG, Lyon or Monaco, and even then he would be lucky to get the wages that he gets at Anfield.

However, it might be possible that Fulham could take Smicer from us in part exchange for Malbranque seeing that they are similar players and I have a feeling that Smicer would do an excellent job for a team like Fulham or Bolton.

We might get Mlabranque for anywhere between £3.5million to £6million, depending on the state of his contract, but does anyone here agree with me when I say that sometimes Liverpool pay over the odds for players? I mean, they haggled Leeds down to £5million (including agents fees) for Kewell, but Barmby, Kirkland and Ziege were very expensive, and I sometimes feel we automatically put in a big bid which is accepted straight away. If we were going to go for Malbranque I would be afraid the club could end up paying over the odds for him.

I am very nervous about Cisse joining Liverpool. I know Stu the Red will accuse me of being pessimistic, but our track record for signing guys from France has been very poor, and you don’t see Arsene Wenger going for him. I have a feeling that he is overhyped, over rated and could be another huge flop.

I mean, when was the last time we signed a striker who scored us more than 20 league goals a season? Its probably Ian Rush or John Aldridge!

Chelsea are going to buy another centre half soon and I could see William Gallas being marginalised, as John Terry is Ranieri’s main man in defence. Gallas has a get out clause for £7.5million, and he could be a very good signing, although Arsene Wenger likes him a lot, so we would have to bite the bullet and offer him more money in wages than the Gunners.

By the way Stu, nobody here wants Liverpool to become the new Tottenham. Its just that its beginning to look that way!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:30 am

I agree about Cisse JBG, i'm getting deja vu with the whole Diouf thing here.  He really wants to come here as well (which i think Diouf was probably quoted as saying at the time).  Smacks of 'no other clubs would pay me as much money' syndrome and we're falling in to the trap again.
Coley

Postby Gareth G » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:18 pm

I'll tell you a player who i would love to see play for us, Robbie Keane. I think it would be excellent if we could get him.

Anyone else think he would fit in with us?
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Coley » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:23 pm

who do you see him playing upfront with? If it was owen, i think that would be a bit lightweight, but he is a good player all the same.
Coley

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:28 pm

KOP-1892 wrote:I'll tell you a player who i would love to see play for us, Robbie Keane. I think it would be excellent if we could get him.

Anyone else think he would fit in with us?

Keane is a terrific player but a bit of an injury worry. I'd like to see someone like Kezman or one or two of those brilliant young dutch players who played so well against Scotland in Holland. Not sure we'd get them for £10m but who knows
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:45 pm

cisse
dawson
van der vaart
malbranque
scott parker

all these seem like good deals to me, but what about giving the kids ago. Otsemobor has done quite well when he's played, john welsh is a very good player apparently and our best two players in our team have come through our youth system. There's usually a great player that comes through once every 4 years or so, by my reckoning were due another. Thats what i think should happen anyway a couple of new signings and give the kids ago.
columbia

Postby Chinesegirl » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:20 pm

cisse
van der vaart
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby antz » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:43 pm

I agree that Cisse is a gamble but it looks now he is going to join in the summer according to the Auxerre boss and quote will cause carnage. We all hope so.
antz

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:05 pm

Robbie Keane? Been saying that since he played for wolves mate. Always rated him, love the way he drops deep and plays as a link, can score goals, nippy, skillfull and VERY lively.

Class player.

I also agree that him and Owen would be very light weight tho, this would be a concern. Alot of games the class will show but there will be times when we would need something different.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion