If you had to buy british - Who would you go for?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Banana, on the question of Ledley King, there are persistant rumours that Wenger has tapped him up and will open the bidding at around 10 million, probably at the end of the season. I would certainly be surprised if you got him for any less than 12. I may be wrong but thats what I think. Wenger may be wrong too, and Sven. We may all be wrong and he's actually useless.
In the case of Gallas, I think you would get him for a lot less. The transfer fee these days is not necessarily an indication of the quality of a player, lots of other factors come into play. We should know, we only got 8 mill cash for Owen. That said I think King would be a better player for us. Once again I may be wrong but that's what I think.
Its a funny thing this forum. Lots of people who come on are unwilling to voice an opinion, preferring to "give him time", "wait and see" etc. Others, without really entering into the spirit of the post, rubbish other peoples thoughts without giving any inkling into their reasoning. I mean, does it really make someone "stupid" if they think that Ledley King would cost more on the transfer market than William Gallas? I ask you, is it not even a remote possibility that this could be the case? Is the forum merely a back slappers club where everyone must toe the line and agree with each other?
To answer your somewhat dismissive point about youngsters coming through the acadamy, clearly in an ideal world this would be lovely. If we had top quality kids coming through, kicking down the door into the first team then great. It doesn't appear that we have though, although I may be a "stupid" for thinking that. If however I am right, then maybe one day we would buy a British player. Now you and I are not daft enough to think that our opinion matters at all on this or any other subject ( I doubt that Rafa logs on, he's busy! ) but it's a bit of fun to voice them anyhow. Just out of interest, an opinion. Know what I mean fella?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:59 pm

bigmick wrote:I know Rafa probably won't, but if you had to buy British who would you pick. I've split it up into 4 categories. Bear in mind you're only buying the one player, obviously the most expensive is at the top of your wish-list.
                  Money no Object, 10 million plus.
                  Decent wedge, over 5 less than 10.
                  value buy, over 2 less than 5.
                  Shoestring superstar, less than 2.

Here goes;    12 million-Ledley king.
                     6 million-Scott Parker.
                     4 million-William Gallas.
                     1.5 million-Damion Francis.
Obviously a wide man and/or a striker would be a priority also. I quite like Routledge at Palace, and I know you're gonna laugh out loud but I think that Earnshaw, now of West Brom will score goals in a half decent side. They would both be candidates in the bargain basement as like Francis, they also play for teams which will go down at the end of the season.

william gallas  :D   :D   :D  :laugh:
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:59 pm

bigmick wrote:Banana, on the question of Ledley King, there are persistant rumours that Wenger has tapped him up and will open the bidding at around 10 million, probably at the end of the season.

if that happens they'd be bloodshed on the streets of london, especially after the sol campbell affair :(

as for gallas, he can't have long left on his contract surely? he also must be annoyed that he can't get a game at centre half. he's played right back and left back this season. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:31 pm

stmichael wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:As I've said time and time again, Fowler would be a cracking signing at this stage. He'll be incredibly cheap, and is still more than capable of changing a game given the right surroundings. And LFC has always been the right surroundings for him.

sorry ivor, fowler's finished. his heart's not in the game anymore. i wouldn't be surprised if he retired in the next two years to be honest. :(

This is a player that two years ago went to the World Cup. Since then, he's had the odd injury or two, but more than that he's been sidelined in a team that are lucky not to be in the bottom 3 this season. For a player like Macken to be ahead of him tells me more about what Man City have done to Fowler more than what Fowler has done for Man City.

They're basically killing his career. So much for Keegan the motivator - the only way I can see him getting his game back is to play in front of fans that want to see him. Give Fowler 5 subs appearances in front of LFC fans and his tail will be wagging like never before, I promise you.

And let's not mess around here - I'd play Fowler at 75% of his best ahead of both Cisse and Pongolle. We need another striker, and for the peanuts that it'd take to bring him in, what's the harm?
ivor_the_injun

Postby greenred » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:22 pm

You make an appealing argument,it would be lovely to see  Robbie Fowler back in a red shirt.Unfortunately Fowlers reputation with the fans will mean nothing to Mr Benitez.So it`s not gonna happen.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:28 pm

bigmick wrote:Banana, on the question of Ledley King, there are persistant rumours that Wenger has tapped him up and will open the bidding at around 10 million, probably at the end of the season. I would certainly be surprised if you got him for any less than 12. I may be wrong but thats what I think. Wenger may be wrong too, and Sven. We may all be wrong and he's actually useless.
In the case of Gallas, I think you would get him for a lot less. The transfer fee these days is not necessarily an indication of the quality of a player, lots of other factors come into play. We should know, we only got 8 mill cash for Owen. That said I think King would be a better player for us. Once again I may be wrong but that's what I think.
Its a funny thing this forum. Lots of people who come on are unwilling to voice an opinion, preferring to "give him time", "wait and see" etc. Others, without really entering into the spirit of the post, rubbish other peoples thoughts without giving any inkling into their reasoning. I mean, does it really make someone "stupid" if they think that Ledley King would cost more on the transfer market than William Gallas? I ask you, is it not even a remote possibility that this could be the case? Is the forum merely a back slappers club where everyone must toe the line and agree with each other?
To answer your somewhat dismissive point about youngsters coming through the acadamy, clearly in an ideal world this would be lovely. If we had top quality kids coming through, kicking down the door into the first team then great. It doesn't appear that we have though, although I may be a "stupid" for thinking that. If however I am right, then maybe one day we would buy a British player. Now you and I are not daft enough to think that our opinion matters at all on this or any other subject ( I doubt that Rafa logs on, he's busy! ) but it's a bit of fun to voice them anyhow. Just out of interest, an opinion. Know what I mean fella?

Dont take it too personally Big Mick.Ive been called things on here that no one has ever said to my face,ever.You become immune to all the ejits eventually.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:56 pm

Yeh you're right mate. No doubt he's a nice bloke and all that. Just frustrates me sometimes that people can be so dismissive.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:36 am

bigmick wrote:Banana, on the question of Ledley King, there are persistant rumours that Wenger has tapped him up and will open the bidding at around 10 million, probably at the end of the season. I would certainly be surprised if you got him for any less than 12. I may be wrong but thats what I think. Wenger may be wrong too, and Sven. We may all be wrong and he's actually useless.

Sorry if I offended you Bigmick. I would like to apologize to you. I think you are an asset to this forum, and I did not mean to disrespect you. It could be that you are partly right in your valuations. But if you are right, then this is a prime example of overvalued british players. Simply put; King is not worth three times as much as Gallas. British players are overvalued and overrated, and because of this many clubs buy foreign instead. This will be a problem for the national team in the long run. I also agree with you that we do not have a lot of promising youngsters. From what I have seen of the likes of Mellor and Welsh they will never make it in the premiership. Then I see a Gael Clichy and a Farc Fabregas in Arsenal and I get frustrated. If Arsenal continue to bring through players like that, we will never catch up with them.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:17 am

Accepted and forgotten. Cheers mate :;):
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:38 am

Guess thats why I'll always be a bargain basement manager. Damien Francis? Who is that bloke, never heard of him mate.
Earnshaw? you're having a laugh. It's all very well scoring goals in the nationwide, but the premiership? for Liverpool? do me a favour. He's only got four in the last three games, not that great is it? doesn't get involved in the build up play at all does he? looks a bit funny as well, and that celebration? do me a favour, not the sort of player we should entertain at all. Whoever posted that they rated him must be an idiot, a joke. Only scores goals against rubbish teams at home anyhow. Well apart from the two he got at Southampton, oh and the equaliser at Highbury. Useless. Couldn't have used him in our team yesterday. Last thing we need at the moment is good old fashioned energy, workrate, pride and passion. What we need is some bloke I saw in the Copa del Youtho, Equadorian 17 year-old goes by the name of Potentialo, wears gloves all the time.

Sorry and all but if people go a bit over the top with disparagement, I'm not going to let it go.     :laugh:  Remember, I said he'd get ten premiership goals from OPEN play, not including the two he got against Southampton. Two down, eight to go.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:42 am

BTW, quite a few tipped up Downing way back then and since. Good pick he looks like a great player. What price 50 caps for England. Only thing is, if he wants that left-midfield slot he's got to get past erm, errrrrrrrrr, ummmmm. OK make it 100.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:47 am

Bowditch, Bent, King, Nolan, Wright-Phillips, me.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:47 am

And a nice bit of Rump with shrooms and peppercorn sause.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:50 am

Actually MNIR, I hadn't considered you for my bargain basement X1. Need to lose that belly though mate, lay off the old Nelson's and we'll think about it. BTW, I'm just gonna trawl through the last six months posts to see if you were one of those who slagged me over Earnshaw, if you were I'll be back! :D
(Jeez if he ever stops scoring I'll never be able to post on here again!)
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:54 am

Anybody looking at this thread and thinking WTF? Check the bottom of page 4. Some idiot wallowing in self-praise. Sickening.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion