If we don't qualify for europe next season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Can it ever be good for a club of our stature and size to not be in Europe, all be it for one season?

Let me clarify that this is not my point of view, I'm merely putting it out there. I want us to win the Europa League this season and want us to finish in a European place, even though it looks as though we may have to finish 5th to do so depending on who wins the FA Cup.

If we make it to the Europa final it will mean we've played 19 games in the competition which is half of what we play in the Premiership every year. This year the majority of games we've had have been dire to watch. Not being in it would mean more rest inbetween the games and more games on a Saturday (the number of Sunday/Monday games this season has been a joke). I'm not saying that we're going to challenge for the title but would the lack of midweek games ultimately mean a better tilt at getting back into the top 4?

We have a proud European history but could you do without European football for a season if down the line it led to getting back into the CL? Unless the squad is significantly improved during the summer would it be good enough to cope on all fronts anyway?

Anyway argue away. I know that some people on this forum have dismissed the Europa League as a waste of time so it'll be good to see a good slanging match. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:48 pm

It will hurt us financially, but I'm not worried about that anymore as NESV looks like that they have the finance covered.

The only worry that if we don't qualify for Europe is when it comes to the transfer market. Most players that we will be linked with, quality ones, would prefer a team that plays in Europe. for example, if we are linked with someone and fighting against the likes of Chelsea and Man City, the player himself would prefer Chelsea or Man City because they will be in Europe.

I can't dismiss any competition, the Europa League is our only chance of silverware, and winning it also would end our trophy drought. Furthermore, imagine the confidence that will give to our current players to build on for next season, winning it could be a benchmark.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

In all honesty if we dont play in the CL then Id prefer if we just didn't play in Europe. If we get to the final in Dublin this year in the UEFA Cup then ill be the first one up there but the UEFA Cup is just Image.

If we finish 6th or 7th and dont qualify then I wont be shedding a tear. Next season we can concentrate on the league and getting back into the top 4 and the domestic cups. Add to the that the hunger the club and fans will have to get back into the CL during the season.

UEFA Cup - Image

CL - Image
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cptrios » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, I don't think the Europa League is a waste of time, but it almost is for a club of our stature. For a club like Fulham or Birmingham, it's fantastic, and more power to them. But for LFC...I dunno. Take this season for example - most of our Europa games have been awful to watch. When our stars have played, they've phoned it in, and we've never looked comfortable in the games I've seen. At the moment, all the Europa league is for us is an opportunity to be embarrassed by a lower-quality team who wants it much more than we do. And one of the bigger benefits is nullified by the fact that we've mostly played our second-string no-hopers instead of members of the youth team.

So you can count me in the "If it means we can end the season in the top four and challenge for domestic silverware, then absolutely screw Europe for next season" group.

However, my ideal scenario would be for us to qualify for Europe and then make the group stages with no expectation of progression. The group stage offers six guaranteed matches against solid competition. So, we'd take the opportunity to get the youngsters some first-team action and field a team composed of mostly prospects, rather than just have a few sprinkled in here and there. We're talking Shelvey, Wilson, Spearing, Kelly (though if he can bounce back well and quickly from this injury I'm not even sure I'd call him a "prospect" anymore), Wisdom, Coady, Suso, Pacheco, Sterling, Flanagan...I honestly wouldn't care if we lost every game 0-3.
cptrios

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Dundalk wrote:In all honesty if we dont play in the CL then Id prefer if we just didn't play in Europe. If we get to the final in Dublin this year in the UEFA Cup then ill be the first one up there but the UEFA Cup is just Image.

If we finish 6th or 7th and dont qualify then I wont be shedding a tear. Next season we can concentrate on the league and getting back into the top 4 and the domestic cups. Add to the that the hunger the club and fans will have to get back into the CL during the season.

UEFA Cup - Image

CL - Image

The state of that smiley...it drools and everything!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Have to agree, BTW.  I've been trying all season to get jazzed by this Europa thingmy and it's just not happening.  Same as with the tail end of last season, to be honest, after we crashed out of the CL.  While my head agrees with the "all silverware's worth going after" argument, my heart's just not into this off-brand cup.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:11 pm

I'd rather we have no Europe at all, the CL is where its at and the EL just gives us more games to think about and hinders our league chances

Next season I genuinely think that we need to focus on the domestic side of things, no Europe will only help and give the lads the kick up the @rse they need
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Mmmm bit of a mixed bag really
Not great but ok. Id like to win it but maybe give it a miss next year
Thommo's perm

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 pm

The UEFA cup meant something back when we won it but these days it means fk all. It would be good for us to just concentrate on the league and FA Cup next season. Getting back into the top 4 has to be the target next season. Ar.sed about the europa league.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I thought I cared more about the Europa league, but I've began to realize that I really don't care too much.  Don't get me wrong, I really do want to move on and win the cup, but I have felt that it's gotten in the way of too much this season.  We are yet to play well and still depend on our best players to win those games for us (Gerrard's hattrick)

I am very hopeful tho that next year we will have a reason to be in it.  I'm hoping that we will have invested a decent amount into the squad and gotten some depth.  If we have depth, then these competitions are ok because we get to try players to don't normally start.  Like others have said as well, it'd be good if we gave some of the youth a go, not worrying about qualifying or not, but getting them some games would be great and we could see who's ready for some first team action.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:14 pm

For me it depends how much we improve in the summer. If we only add afew players and still have problem areas, then id rather sacrifice european football to try get back in the CL the following year. But if NESV suprise us and theres a massive overhaul in the summer then id rather be in it.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm

the thing about this trophy is that it was a decent piece of silverware back in the day before they screwed around with the format.its a lot of games before you even make the final and then it always ends up in the hands of a team dropped from the champions league.uefa made a joke of it by doing so and imo it cost the cup its credibility among top clubs who regular compete in the cl and it is a booby prize if you dont make the knockout stages.

if we dont go all the way in it this year then tbh i couldnt give a stuff if we make it or dont next year.
less traveling less games and more of a chance to focus on the league and if we actually challenge for the league next year then we will no doubt return to the cl by finishing in the top 4.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:16 am

We need to be in europe to satisfy income inflow, sponsership demands and global tv coverage/exposure as well as the obvious player egos both to keep who we have and attract others to come.

We're a big club who are more than capable of running a domestic and european campign side by side.

As much as I long for the glory days to come back on the field, I miss intelligent posts just as much.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:06 am

cptrios wrote:However, my ideal scenario would be for us to qualify for Europe and then make the group stages with no expectation of progression. The group stage offers six guaranteed matches against solid competition. So, we'd take the opportunity to get the youngsters some first-team action and field a team composed of mostly prospects, rather than just have a few sprinkled in here and there. We're talking Shelvey, Wilson, Spearing, Kelly (though if he can bounce back well and quickly from this injury I'm not even sure I'd call him a "prospect" anymore), Wisdom, Coady, Suso, Pacheco, Sterling, Flanagan...I honestly wouldn't care if we lost every game 0-3.

This makes a lot of sense, except that I think the youngesters are more likely to develop if they are played in with some experienced players - so playing a team made up of a mix of a good number of youngsters, squad players and Cole being played to get his match fitness up makes sense to me  :D
Last edited by Raoul on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 am

CL or nothing for me. I'd actually prefer to win the FA Cup
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

They were saying on 5 live at the weekend that sometimes a club being in the Europa league/uefa cup competition can actually end up costing a club money as apposed to making them money? how can that be?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion