If we don't qualify for europe next season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Reg wrote:Never ceases to amaze me why you lads bother supporting our club, such negative drivel.

Don't get me wrong Reg, if we end up qualifying for the europa league then we should make an effort to go all the way but I just think if we are seriously to think about pushing for a top 4 place again next season then we really need to put all the focus into the league.

Who knows in the summer we might well buy 6 or 7 players have end up with some real strength in depth. That's the ideal situation, in which case we could make a push on all fronts next season. All depends though on what happens in the summer with transfers.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:09 pm

tubby wrote:
Reg wrote:Never ceases to amaze me why you lads bother supporting our club, such negative drivel.

Don't get me wrong Reg, if we end up qualifying for the europa league then we should make an effort to go all the way but I just think if we are seriously to think about pushing for a top 4 place again next season then we really need to put all the focus into the league.

Who knows in the summer we might well buy 6 or 7 players have end up with some real strength in depth. That's the ideal situation, in which case we could make a push on all fronts next season. All depends though on what happens in the summer with transfers.

:nod

Exactly my thought.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby destro » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 pm

I am not really worried if we do not qualify for Europe next season. Less games to play and hopefully a bit of quality to come in replace the ones who are just not good enough. As for it putting off any kind of quality player joining, if all they are interested in is what harm it will do to their chances of making it into their own international team then in my eyes they are not the type of player we need. Any non mercenary player should relish the chance to join and get us back up where we belong instead of looking for a pay rise and hoping to be a part of it. If they just want more money and to tag along for the ride join City or Chelsea.
destro

Postby shabelle50 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 am

We wouldn't have been in Europe this season had Pompe not gone into administration a year ago as they would have had our Europa place this season being in the cup final. The lesson from all of this is that we have to get it right in the summer whoever is in charge so that we are right up in the top four next season. I'm not too worried about being out of Europe next year and don't think it will affect our spending plans that significantly. In 94 and 99 when were out of Europe we finished 4th each time the following season. I expect something similar next season almost certainly under KK and possibly even a title challenge a year from now.
shabelle50

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 am

Revenue wise i dont think the europa league brings in massive cash does it? We certainly are not gonna get CL next season.

It's where this club belongs though, however uefa have devalued the UEFA cup so much that it is a cup for european minnows now. The giants of europe used to battle for this cup, now its the coca cola cup of euro footy. ( :censored: me and we cant even qualify for it )

An assault on the prem next season would certainly take my mind off missing those special euro nights, a fully fit squad challenging for the title is an exciting prospect.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 pm

although it's unlikely, top 4 is still possible...only just. But it would need a huge drop in form for Spuds, Chelsea/Man city.

It's possible
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm

7_Kewell wrote:although it's unlikely, top 4 is still possible...only just. But it would need a huge drop in form for Spuds, Chelsea/Man city.

It's possible

Was looking at the table after the game and yeah, it is actually possible. Especially with Carroll getting back to full fitness too he could make the difference.

The chance is so small though I almost don't want to mention it in case I somehow jinx it.
:D

We just need to take it 1 game at a time and put ourselves in a position to take advantage should Chelsea and Spurs slip up. In all honesty though I can't see the both of them fking up that bad. Maybe Spurs who will have 1 eye turned with the CL.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

can we catch spurs for 5th? 4 points behind them although they have a game in hand. they have to come to anfield aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 pm

stmichael wrote:can we catch spurs for 5th? 4 points behind them although they have a game in hand. they have to come to anfield aswell.

5th is about the most we could hope for....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby cptrios » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:05 am

I think 5th is totally doable. Not hugely likely, but doable. Spurs don't even have to fail all that badly, considering we've got them at home in May. That'll be a hell of a match if the spread is still 4 points by the time we get there!
cptrios

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm

cptrios wrote:I think 5th is totally doable. Not hugely likely, but doable. Spurs don't even have to fail all that badly, considering we've got them at home in May. That'll be a hell of a match if the spread is still 4 points by the time we get there!

Looks like this is what will happen, although I can't see Spurs winning next weekend at Chelsea.

How do those people who don't want Europa League football next season feel now that it is within touching distance?
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:33 am

I think that we'll definitely be 5th if we win all 4 of our games untill the end of the season. Spurs will screw up with Chelsea and the rest will be up to us.

I was one of those who didnt wish for Europa League football that much, not that I would have hated it if we got it, I just didnt hope for it. However I have to admit I am a bit excited that we might get 5th and qualify for Europa as a result, but that's probably becouse we'll finish in a better position in the home league not becouse we'll be playing in Europa. I just dont like the cup, it's like a loosers cup to me. The only plus I see in it is that I'll see my club play more often, dont think that more games are a plus to the club though.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:45 pm

stmichael wrote:How do those people who don't want Europa League football next season feel now that it is within touching distance?

I genuinely hope we don't qualify for the Europa league next season and for various reasons.

The Europa league is a rubbish competition. Quite a few of Bayern Munichs stars have come out and said it would be a tragedy for them to be demoted to the Europa League next season.
Like Bayern, Liverpool football club should also be involved in the biggest club competition in the world.
Missing out on a Europa league spot for next season allows us to fully concentrate on the league for a change. With Kenny and Steve Clarke leading the way and a few quality signings this summer, which I believe we can expect, we'll give ourselves every chance to make the top 4 and who knows, maybe even a title challenge.

It would also be nice not having so many Sunday games next season. Saturday 3pm in Liverpool is late Saturday night here, which means getting the drinks in with the lads while watching the game.
Sunday games mean late Sunday night by myself on the couch and only 3-4 hours sleep before work on Monday morn..I hope we're never involved in the Europa league again haha.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:11 pm

UEFA should be embarrassed that people are actually discussing the prospect of trying to avoid qualifying for the Europa League. They need to even the money distributed so they can make the competition more appealing. That and maybe offering a place in next seasons CL for the winner ect....

For me the league is the priority and im sure FSG are going to revamp the squad in the summer so hopefully if that all happens then we should have a squad capable of pushing for the Europa League as well.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Can no longer be a'rsed to argue the pro's and cons of being in Europe with those that say it's a waste of time unless it's the Champions League, suffice to say that I'm in agreement with King Kenny when he says "regardless of the competition, Liverpool have to be in Europe " .

:nod

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion