If we don't qualify for europe next season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dundreamin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 am

I just carnt get a tad excited over the europa league.Its just a UEFA moneymaking scam
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 am

Reg wrote:We need to be in europe to satisfy income inflow, sponsership demands and global tv coverage/exposure as well as the obvious player egos both to keep who we have and attract others to come.

We're a big club who are more than capable of running a domestic and european campign side by side.

As much as I long for the glory days to come back on the field, I miss intelligent posts just as much.

Good post.

We also need to think about the youngsters.  If we're not in Europe we'd have to put more focus on the Carling Cup and FA Cup. As we'd only be playing one PL game a week, the first team and fringe players would all be desperate to play games...were would that leave the youngsters?
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 am

Roger Red Hat wrote:They were saying on 5 live at the weekend that sometimes a club being in the Europa league/uefa cup competition can actually end up costing a club money as apposed to making them money? how can that be?

Yeah I heard something similar. It was regarding Fulham's end of year accounts, they lost money (or cost them) due to hosting more games.

Seems amazing to me, considering the price of London club ticket prices.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Roger Red Hat wrote:They were saying on 5 live at the weekend that sometimes a club being in the Europa league/uefa cup competition can actually end up costing a club money as apposed to making them money? how can that be?

Yeah I heard something similar. It was regarding Fulham's end of year accounts, they lost money (or cost them) due to hosting more games.

Seems amazing to me, considering the price of London club ticket prices.

true. though thinking about it, trips to small eastern-european sides where you dont have much of a gate reciept, but you still need to fly a whole team, plus non playing staff over and hotel rooms for every one -  could cost a fair bit....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Dundalk wrote:In all honesty if we dont play in the CL then Id prefer if we just didn't play in Europe. If we get to the final in Dublin this year in the UEFA Cup then ill be the first one up there but the UEFA Cup is just Image.

If we finish 6th or 7th and dont qualify then I wont be shedding a tear. Next season we can concentrate on the league and getting back into the top 4 and the domestic cups. Add to the that the hunger the club and fans will have to get back into the CL during the season.

UEFA Cup - Image

CL - Image

My thoughts exactly. Unless there is a massive swing of luck in our favour in the league then CL qualification has gone. I just can't get motivated for the Europa and I think it's an unwelcome distraction when we should be focussing on domestic games. I think we will probably end up in a Europa League so we should use this for no more than a competitive pre-season and blooding some of the younger/fringe players.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't think the UEFA cup does bring in all the riches people think.

We are a big club that's why we should be playing CL football not the waffa cup, any prestigue it did have has been lost on the influence of men like Blatter and Platini. Anyway we should be looking to qualify for the CL next season which IMO means not partaking in the European cup's little sister comp next season.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:35 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:CL or nothing for me. I'd actually prefer to win the FA Cup

seconded.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:02 pm

That is just illogical supporter talk.

It is the players that wins trophies for the club first and foremonst and you can bet your **** that if most players would have a choice playing for a team playing in europe or not they would go to a team that plays in Europe.

No, sorry, they will not go on like supporters thinking that since the club being nowhere right now but won things 30 years ago is a better proposition right now.

You need top class players to compete for honours and some here honestly expect that we can attract the very best in the world with just the PL to go for?

That is delusional thinking at best...  :no
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm

ethanr wrote:I am very hopeful tho that next year we will have a reason to be in it.  I'm hoping that we will have invested a decent amount into the squad and gotten some depth.  If we have depth, then these competitions are ok because we get to try players to don't normally start.  Like others have said as well, it'd be good if we gave some of the youth a go, not worrying about qualifying or not, but getting them some games would be great and we could see who's ready for some first team action.

Agree with this 100%.

Statements like "We are Liverpool" doesnt change the fact that we're short of quality squad players that will allow us to compete in the latter stages of Europe whilst also maintaining a push for the top 4. Hopefully it will be addressed in the summer.

I always want us to be in Europe ideally but to think that we have some kind of divine right regardless of the restraints it may put on the progression of the club in the long term is ridiculous.

On the players wanting CL or Europe in general, I largely agree with that although it's not always the case. For example Charlie Adam could have gone to Spurs but wanted to come here because he can see what we're attempting to build. We're still a bigger club than Spurs and we can still attract decent players such as Carroll and Suarez regardless, even if they were considered overpriced.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 pm

stmichael wrote:
ethanr wrote:I am very hopeful tho that next year we will have a reason to be in it.  I'm hoping that we will have invested a decent amount into the squad and gotten some depth.  If we have depth, then these competitions are ok because we get to try players to don't normally start.  Like others have said as well, it'd be good if we gave some of the youth a go, not worrying about qualifying or not, but getting them some games would be great and we could see who's ready for some first team action.

Agree with this 100%.

Statements like "We are Liverpool" doesnt change the fact that we're short of quality squad players that will allow us to compete in the latter stages of Europe whilst also maintaining a push for the top 4. Hopefully it will be addressed in the summer.

I always want us to be in Europe ideally but to think that we have some kind of divine right regardless of the restraints it may put on the progression of the club in the long term is ridiculous.

On the players wanting CL or Europe in general, I largely agree with that although it's not always the case. For example Charlie Adam could have gone to Spurs but wanted to come here because he can see what we're attempting to build. We're still a bigger club than Spurs and we can still attract decent players such as Carroll and Suarez regardless, even if they were considered overpriced.

This is very true.  People know who Liverpool are.  That doesn't mean anybody will come if we aren't qualifying for these types of things.  People know who fecking Leeds are but you don't see many top players jumping at the chance to play for them.

If we qualify for Europa, then players coming in will see an opportunity to play Euro football and it will be great for them.  It doesn't mean we have to play all out top players straight away, or even at all.  The new players will see how important the league is to us.  Besides, I'm very confident that if the squad has a few decent investments, we will be challenging for CL next year, no problem.

The Europa league games at the beginning of the season are good anyway.  Sure people don't get much of a break, but those new players we have purchased get more time to gel together before we play the first game of the season.  That way we can actually play our new and more talented players from the beginning until having to wait for all of them to gel from league games.  If we have to wait, we will end up like city last year, starting so slow and finishing strong, but it was too late and didn't even qualify for CL with a squad full of amazing players.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

ethanr wrote:This is very true.  People know who Liverpool are.  That doesn't mean anybody will come if we aren't qualifying for these types of things.  People know who fecking Leeds are but you don't see many top players jumping at the chance to play for them.

If we qualify for Europa, then players coming in will see an opportunity to play Euro football and it will be great for them. 

What I'm saying is players such as Suarez and Carroll are still young enough and hungry enough (24 and 22) not to let that effect them in the immediate short term. NESV have already come out and said that our recruitment policy in future will be to sign younger talent who can develop so the players coming in will hopefully not be put off by missing a year of Europa League football. They've still got years ahead of them to achieve that. Carroll and Suarez both signed 5 year contracts if I'm not mistaken? Not saying contracts are worth the paper they're written on these days but I'm still confident that these two will lead our line for the next 5 years at least.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Penguins wrote:It is the players that wins trophies for the club first and foremonst and you can bet your **** that if most players would have a choice playing for a team playing in europe or not they would go to a team that plays in Europe.

This I agree with, modern footballers are more ''me'' than caring which club they play for.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I'd hardly think Carroll and Surarez signed for Liverpool and licked their lips at the prospects of playing Europa football.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Reg wrote:We need to be in europe to satisfy income inflow, sponsership demands and global tv coverage/exposure as well as the obvious player egos both to keep who we have and attract others to come.

We're a big club who are more than capable of running a domestic and european campign side by side.

As much as I long for the glory days to come back on the field, I miss intelligent posts just as much.

not so sure reg.
last year fulham netted £12mil for their efforts.a longer preseason tour of asia would net this in the summer rather than have to come back early for qualification.
we lost torres and probably lose reina because we are in the europa league not the champions league and most decent players want cl football.
sponsorship demands granted but i doubt the final is watched globally by half as much people as the cl final.

the thread asks if we dont qualify next season would it be such a bad thing and imo i dont think it would.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby cptrios » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

There is definitely an element of "inability to attract top players without Europe" here...but without Europe, we would not be Leeds. We're still one of the most recognizable names in football, and any player who joins us will know immediately that millions and millions of people around the world will become his fans.

And of course we lost Torres and may lose Reina, and players like them will definitely be less inclined to join us if we're not in Europe. But as was said upthread, the new philosophy appears to be players for the future...and most of them are just going to be hungry for the chance to play for us. And the ones who really care about football will relish the chance to be a part of LFC's renaissance. And I'd rather have a team full of guys like that who improve as the years go by than a team full of Ronaldos and Torreses who might take us to a few pieces of silverware and then follow the money somewhere else after a couple of years.
cptrios

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion