If it wasn`t for cheyrou and gerrard.... - ...they saved it for l`pool ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thor Viking » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:44 pm

Saw yesterdays match on norwegian tele ! And the two players mentioned were the main reason(s) why L`pool won , in my opinion. MO and EH had a day off, and HK seemed to be somewhere else alltogether!!
How ever it was a well deserved win - and a nescesarry one too !?
Where is the final played ? At Millennium in Cardiff ?
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:35 pm

The final is at the Milennium mate although I wouldn't think too far ahead just yet. I was at the game and Newcastle were largely on top first half with liverpool coming into it much better int he 2nd due to mainly the introduction of Le Tellac who linked up really well with Finnon (My MOM choice). Liverpool found gaps and created chances whenever they seemed to want to play but all too often gave the ball away too easily. We need to hold possession and learn how to be cool wespecially whilst we are aheador in the closing stages.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:30 pm

I think Houlier should take a leaf out of any junior coaching book and give Liverpool a lesson on possesion football.  Liverpool are trying to force things too quickly and are giving the ball away, they need to slow things down a shade, concentrate on picking gaps and finding their own players even if it means some 1-2s or quick short passing.  if you have the ball the opposition can't score and you can, simple.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby supersub » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:44 pm

That's our biggest problem,we concede possession cheaply and all too often.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:29 pm

Spot on Supersub, For all Danny Murphy's attributes he gives the ball away too cheaply.  Cheyrou and finnan both had a good game against Newcastle but in patches. Carragher was excellent the whole game.  Henchoz dominated the first halve and Gerrard took over on the 55 minute mark he ran the show for the next 20 mins before Newcastle had a spell of possession.  All of the above is therefore accurate as playing a possession game means getting it and maintaining not giving it away so easily.  I don't think there is a good work ethic in the current squad.  I see real hard grafters and people being carried maybe that'sthe difference between us and the best teams IE there work rate is superior both in games and throughout the campaign.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Saturday was evidence of a young man showing how to rally your troops,like a good captain should,when it was necessary.When Steven Gerrard took a stranglehold on the game in the 2nd half,you could see it lift the rest of the team for the final effort.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:41 am

Big al i completely disagree with the work rate comment. Gerrard, Hamann, Murphy, Diouf, Heskey, Owen, Carragher, Finnan, Henchoz, Baros are all superb with there work rate. None of them are even nearly Lazy. Kewell isnt' even a lazy player, he does his bit as was shown against chelsea away... he was poor on the ball but still defended well with the rest of the side.

The comment about giving the ball away cheaply... yes Murphy does that... but he's no worse than Steven Gerrard.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:18 pm

Gerrard gives the ball away a lot as well as Murphy. Gerrard tends to try and hit too many first time passes to his forwards and more often than not they are intercepted.

Riise is also a terrible culprit with his long punts down the left.

I don't think the work ethic is as good at Liverpool as it was back in 2000 and 2001. The team worked hard against Newcastle but I was at the Southampton and Portsmouth games and I was disgusted by the lack of effort.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby sunburntred » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 pm

I agree with JB's Gran, the lack of effort has been so evident for a while, let us not get carried away just yet. We need to really tonk the Bluenoses' on Saturday and then smack the blue half of Shitchester before we start smiling a little wider.
sunburntred

Postby big al » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:22 pm

Stu it doesent matter what I say even the things you agree with me on you disagree with me about.  Don't sweat it mate I'm a big boy I can take your disapproval after all your are a footballing guru.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:25 pm

JBG Gerrard is young, You and I both agree he needs more schooling, Problem is when Mcalister left we lost a player with true class.  If Houllier had any sense he'd offer him a part/time contract to coach these kids.

I would add that I hope Gary's missus gets well soon.
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:02 pm

Gary's missus has been ill a long time.

He took a sabbatical from us in the autumn of 2000 to look after her, didn't he?

A true gent, Macca.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Yeah mate sad all round  and your right a nice fellow.
big al
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion