If houllier had stayed - Where would we be now?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:53 pm

ACE
Point taken and your proberly right m8,

But I am being honest when I think the overall standard he expected us to be happy and grateful for even was pretty low
compared to any previous manager
we did have high points and Im grateful for them
but to be honest Ace I would have sooner he never came at all as I feel we lost so much ground in the prem under him

I expect to be entertained in the liverpool way ,walking out the ground looking forward to the next game

sadly this was never the case for most of houliers time for me
teamleader1

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:11 pm

JBG wrote:
zarababe wrote:May be the question is .. should we have allowed Dalglish to leave for?  is the decline of the club not associated with him..

It wasn't a matter of letting Daglish go. He left on his own accord and Liverpool couldn't persuade him to stay.

His 1990/91 team had problems but there's a fair chance that Daglish would have successfully rebuilt it had he stayed, and the 1990s might have been completely different.  :upside:

.. yes of course he chose to leave, but is not the case that he allowed the team to 'age' and the decline had set-in ?

There are lots of ifs and buts associated with this thread ... that was my point.

The fact is that Houllier was dismissed and Benitez appointed. Time will tell if Benitez is the right man, but winning the league is not gonna happen over night and as with any experiment.. the potion occasionally fails to deliver the expected outcome.

I do belive he is the right man, but he does not have the right team YET.. as with any jigsaw puzzle, once all the peices fit, the picture is complete.

I'm not advocating patience, everyone is enititled to there opinion of the Manager the team and so on.. football is a game of opinions and emotions.

Over the past few weeks people have expressed a variety of view points; their frustrations, their faith in the Boss, fears, their anger.. all of which is valid...

.... but Gawd can this place sometimes read like a 'winge bags grotto'  :D  :laugh:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:28 pm

i read this tripe and almost laughed but the bile is rising remembering houllier's reign of terror

of course we had zidane - woops ol bruno -- i actually remeber him having a good game -- al haji dufus (10 mill remember)  -- come on -- after fowler was forced out the team went to hell in a handbag

face it owen was gone in any event, gerrard was going -- guess what we would have had bruno as our star

i will give houllier his due though -- until his surgury he was improving the team -- it was a bit of a wreck BUT i figure we would have been were everton is this year last year and with no hope

only way i could like rafa more is if he brought back robbie fowler -- even for only a game -- robbie deserves to retire a red   :buttrock
vlady16.1

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:22 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:only way i could like rafa more is if he brought back robbie fowler -- even for only a game -- robbie deserves to retire a red 

Nice dream

I personally think that robbie in jan for the rest of the season would be a good move- even 20-30 mins as sub would yield a good goals return
The mans class and liverpool through n through and as you say he deserves to finish a red after the discraceful treatment he got from Houlier
teamleader1

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:40 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:only way i could like rafa more is if he brought back robbie fowler -- even for only a game -- robbie deserves to retire a red   :buttrock

:D that's got to be the funniest line I've read on here  :laugh:  :upside:  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:50 pm

Ace near everything you've said is spot on.

Very good manager. Had his chance, done well but not well enough.

Thanks for the good times Gerard, winning the cups, beating the blueshite and the mancs regularly means something to the true fans. As did seeing you come back against Roma at anfield. Some of the best nights of my life.

1 bad season isnt' enough to sack a manager. The board sacked him at the right time and have brought the right man in to replace him aswell.

Time to move on and look forward.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:17 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Ace near everything you've said is spot on.

Very good manager. Had his chance, done well but not well enough.

Thanks for the good times Gerard, winning the cups, beating the blueshite and the mancs regularly means something to the true fans. As did seeing you come back against Roma at anfield. Some of the best nights of my life.

1 bad season isnt' enough to sack a manager. The board sacked him at the right time and have brought the right man in to replace him aswell.

Time to move on and look forward.

And alls true what u said as well Stu.
But Houllier peaked too early in his carrer by winnig the treble and put huge expectancy on his own shoulders.
I mean all he could have done to improve after that was win C/L or the prem.
Also a huge factor in his downfall was his heart attack i reckon.P/T took over and i think if i remember right played 13 games in charge and never lost 1.
This begged the question in a lot of fans eyes as to who was actually running the show or who should have been.
We had been going below par in the lague then Tommo comes in and sorts it out,maybe a coincednce i dunno..
But what Houllier cant and never will be excused for is blowing
so much cash on a bunch of players that never in a million yeas were fit to pull on a Liverpool shirt.
Now its Raffas time i hope winning the champs league so early in his career at LFC does not put such a weight on his shoulders and he is given time.
Good luck at Lyon Gerrerd Houllier until we meet ya that is :nod
66-1120597113

Postby bring_back_biscan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:22 pm

Houllier did a good job, reestablished some sound principles at the club, but due to some bad buys gave us a desperate lack of creativity and width particularly at home, he got sacked (should ahve been sooner). I think things wouldn't have changed if he were still in charge, with the injuries we had last season we would have struggled a lot.
bring_back_biscan

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:37 am

he got sacked (should ahve been sooner). I think things wouldn't have changed if he were still in charge, with the injuries we had last season we would have struggled a lot.

Its view points like this that wind me up so much.

We are not Tottenham or Aston Villa. We aren't a stupid knee jerk reaction club with no past or tradition. Sacking a Manger after one bad season is a disgrace. A completely disgraceful attitude and not one i'd expect of a fan of this club.

Also in his last season the injury situation was easily as bad as last season.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:58 am

stu_the_red wrote:
he got sacked (should ahve been sooner). I think things wouldn't have changed if he were still in charge, with the injuries we had last season we would have struggled a lot.

We are not Tottenham or Aston Villa. We aren't a stupid knee jerk reaction club with no past or tradition. Sacking a Manger after one bad season is a disgrace. A completely disgraceful attitude and not one i'd expect of a fan of this club.

Also in his last season the injury situation was easily as bad as last season.

MEOW :rasp
66-1120597113

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:22 am

stu_the_red wrote:Also in his last season the injury situation was easily as bad as last season.

Can you prove that? (I'm not being funny, I just don't agree).

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:47 am

Neither do I. We had a starting 11 of injured players and then some.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby teamleader1 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:58 am

stu_the_red wrote:

Stu

As you rightly said we are not a knee jerk club that sacks managers for one bad season and thats the reason Houlier got longer than one poor season

And the good nights like roma were few and far between,
IMO Rafa has given us more entertainment and success in twelve months than houlier gave full stop

Right now I expect us to match and beat the top euro teams
can you honestly say that about houliers era?
your forgetting all the tacticaly inept games getting out thought by the novice managers of the day

Getting results against united is great but not the yardstick to base a good season on- Evertons season is based on derby results not ours we are bigger and better than that.

Barry makes the point that tommo as cartaker manager had more than a little to do with the successful period, an opinion that many agree with

Houlier may have sorted the spice boys image out but that was the easy part
He also provided very boring tactics like defending a 0-0 at home - signing a lot of championship standard players for millions and giving them long and very lucrative contracts- not forgetting the booing from the crowd at the end of some games- directed at him not the team!

I agree with your sentiments about wishing him well in the future, but I dont go along with the - He got the boot for one poor season- The board gave into supporter pressure to get shut, and that type of reaction from the vast majority of supporters does not come after one poor season, far from it !

The man earned the sack over a lot more than one poor season riddled with injuries Stu

I respect your point of view- but I also remember the total krap I paid to watch for the majority of the houlier era

IMHO  :D
teamleader1

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion