I was there son - Which game can you say this about?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:35 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
s@int wrote:Thanks Leonmc0708 I dont go on the advanced forum so I would never have seen that . Great read you should do one more often ( but maybe thats up to Rafa :D ) Which one is you, and are there any other forum members in the pics?

I am the big ugly fu.cker in the red top and Murf (Murphy0151)is the one toungeing the manequin ....

Great story Leon
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:41 pm

Northern Ireland 1 : England 0     7th September 2005

That's the one I'll tell the kids about, when they come. Sitting in the Windsor Kop after Healy scored that goal, it felt like we'd won the World cup.

With Liverpool, I've been a bit unlucky. I dont get over that often but I've watched them play United, Everton, Celtic, Newcastle and they didn't win any of them.

I watched them beat Portsmouth 3-0 when Hamaan scored the goal of the season in 2003-2004. Owen got 2 and  man of the match, and I shook his hand in the Carlsberg suite after the match. It was Paddy's day and we got full drunk afterwards. The scousers get into the spirit of it more than the Irish!

Another highlight was beating Coventry 4-1 in the treble season. I know it was Coventry but Gary Mac and Heskey's second were top quality. Stevie scored as well. There was a great atmosphere of optimism in Anfield that day. You could feel it from everyone.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't know if someone "up there" likes me but I feel blessed to have been at so many games and this thread is NOT easy for someone like myself such are the memories of watching our great team......

The one I've gone for is the UEFA Cup Final in 2001. Its rarely shown on TV as recent European events have somewhat overshadowed it but it truly was a great experience in Dortmund......

Can I have another please ? :D  Thanks ........... European Cup Semi Final at Anfield versus Chelsea......Like a lot of people I go to Anfield fortnight in, fortnight out and you can become a tad blaze about the whole experience but that night the KOP was simply beyond explanation in terms of colour, passion, belief and noise and it will live long in my memory and one I'll be delighted to share with my son when he gets a bit older :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Can I just say that 2520years or whatever you're called I totally agree with Leon (for once) that what you wrote is not only offensive to scousers, its offensive to fans of this great club events like that can't be compared to anything this club has acheived. The national team can never come close to representing what this club means to us. Liverpool FC is our national team, :censored: England.

There has been loads. Probably the two that stand out were the Owen cup final, feeling so low, standing there and knowing the game was lost and we were a poor side with no way back into the game, then all of a sudden within 7 minutes we've won the FA cup. Absoloutely unbelievable.

The other was obviously the final. No matter how hard you look, all the finals in the world, all the semi's and great nights at anfield with wonderful roaring atmospheres nothing will ever ever top that.

hugging people ya don't know, again the (almost) fact you've been twated by a far better side then actually lifting the trophie at the end... unreal!
Good Bob

Postby Macca » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:23 pm

Last season at Old Trafford against Chelsea was a great day as was the FA Cup Final in Cardiff that would probly be the 2 games I could look back on in years to come and be happy that I was there

Not really a great game but i'll always remember going to watch the AK Graz game at Anfield when they beat us 1-0 who would think that Liverpool team would end up being Champions League Winners that same season! and also Olympiakos when I must have had the worst seat in the stadium very last row of the Lower Anny Road couldnt hardly see a thing but I was there I suppose a lot of people probly would have sat there to witness the atmpsophere
Macca

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:19 am

1977 Rome best chidhood memory i ever had.First time abroad,first time on  plane.The atmosphere was wonderful before the game my uncle jimmy had a skinful although i was in his care :D and the game and result far exceeded anything i could have hoped for.My uncle Jimmy fell out with this german guy at the airport and i was getting quite concerned i was 9 after all that he was heading for a night in the cells,but when they realised i was with him let him go.We just made the plane back all and all though.........great great trip.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:48 am

A long time back (70's I think) I saw Liverpool play live for the first time v Derby.. nothing special in the result or the match but just awesome being at anfield and hearing that "roar" for the first time has stayed with me ever since... I was there! :buttrock  :bowdown
PhiLFC

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:49 am

The only final ive ever been to was the UEFA cup final against Alaves.  That was a great experience, not comparable im sure to Istanbul but in its own right a great night.

Gerrards goal was the best of the lot for me.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:58 am

I have only been to two games,  and the one I can happily say I was there for was Fowler's return against Brum. If only he hadn't been offside, it would have made it an incredible night.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:36 am

Good Bob wrote:Can I just say that 2520years or whatever you're called I totally agree with Leon (for once) that what you wrote is not only offensive to scousers, its offensive to fans of this great club events like that can't be compared to anything this club has acheived. The national team can never come close to representing what this club means to us. Liverpool FC is our national team, :censored: England.

There has been loads. Probably the two that stand out were the Owen cup final, feeling so low, standing there and knowing the game was lost and we were a poor side with no way back into the game, then all of a sudden within 7 minutes we've won the FA cup. Absoloutely unbelievable.

The other was obviously the final. No matter how hard you look, all the finals in the world, all the semi's and great nights at anfield with wonderful roaring atmospheres nothing will ever ever top that.

hugging people ya don't know, again the (almost) fact you've been twated by a far better side then actually lifting the trophie at the end... unreal!

Bob

I watched the Michael Owen Cup Final on TV - it was my favourite match in the Treble Season and I jumped as high as anyone when he scored - but I can't say I was there because I wasn't.

You seem to be saying I have to mention a Liverpool match as my "I was there" experience.  The thread didn't specify that at the start.  My favourite live LFC experiences were seeing Liverpool beat ManUre and Robbie Fowler's first goal on his return to the mighty reds.  If I ever have a son to tell my experiences to, he'll be, say, 10 years old before he can appreciate that.  By then I'll hope we'll be beating ManUre regularly and Robbie Fowler won't mean so much to him as he'll never have seen him play (kids are more interested in the present than the past).  However, just as people still look back fondly to the 1966 World Cup, I expect some will look back to Euro 96, maybe when we stage the 2014/2018 World Cup.  I'm not saying that England's achievements are better than Liverpool's - that would be stupid!  I'm merely relating MY PERSONAL LIVEEXPERIENCES.

If some scousers are offended that I can compare England events I've been to, to Liverpool events I've been to, it's tough.  Those are my experiences and my opinions.  Maybe those scousers should be more broad-minded.  I was interested to read Leon on another thread saying he never says other people's opinions aren't valid...maybe you could follow his lead?

Andy
:lookaround
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:53 am

Good Bob wrote:Can I just say that 2520years or whatever you're called I totally agree with Leon (for once) that what you wrote is not only offensive to scousers, its offensive to fans of this great club events like that can't be compared to anything this club has acheived. The national team can never come close to representing what this club means to us. Liverpool FC is our national team, :censored: England.

Bit OTT, I was trying to point out that an LFC fans best memories of the match should be LFC related.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:54 am

Ok my fave was recent, mainly because my memory sucks, also because I don't go to as many games. The FA cup final. A train carriage full of west ham fans threatening to kill any liverpool fans, my local after the game, and a beer at taffs scary local.

Oh, and one of the best FA cup finals in history
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:58 am

i was there son, sat infront of me t.v watching liverpool win the champions league and he f.a cup in the most dramatic way possible  :sniffle
Kopite-Jud

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:12 pm

at THE Liverpool 4-3 victory over newcastle....remember the place going mad when Stan Collymore got the winner.  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Bob & Leon...some of us haven't had the same (politically correct) experiences that you guys have but I hardly think that is the proper basis on which to denigrate someone else's 'personal' experience (2520years).

Live and let live and maybe lighten up a bit lads!!!   :)

I wouldn't dare mention that I haven't had the privilege of attending an LFC match yet and that my 'personal' highlight would evolve around watching my 15 year old son playing at National titles a few years back or that I attended {with the aforementioned son} Australia's 2nd match against Uruguay in Sydney to make it to the current World Cup. This was the first world cup Australia had been to since 1974 when I just happened to attend Australia's last qualifying match, in Sydney...with my father!!!)

No, I wouldn't dare mention that. It just wouldn't be proper   

To each, his own lads!!  :D
Last edited by Lionheart on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion