I take my life in my hands - Should rafa go?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

I take my life in my hands - Should rafa go!

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes : 119

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm

I think NO.  Benitez is a great manager, but that doesnt mean I think he is faultless or even in need of a bit of help.  I feel someone needs to take over the man management side of the job.

Thats my opinion.

If you vote please give your reasons, and matbe if you vote no, who would you prefer??
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby lakes10 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:05 pm

Reds owner backs Benitez policy

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has received the backing of Reds co-owner Tom Hicks following their 2-1 Champions League defeat at Besiktas.
Liverpool are bottom of their group and will probably need to win their last three games to progress any further.

"We back Rafa - he's the right manager," said Hicks.

"Rafa's rotation has been his policy for three years - his ability to coach and manage in the Champions League should be unquestioned."

Benitez guided Liverpool to the Champions League title three years ago and took them back to the final again last year.

But a draw in Porto followed by defeats to Marseille and Besiktas have left the Reds on just one point.

Wins in their last three matches - at home to Besiktas and Porto and away to Marseille - would almost certainly take Liverpool through, although it is possible that two wins and a draw would be enough.

Liverpool are the only team apart from Arsenal who are still unbeaten in the Premier League, but they have fallen six points behind the Gunners after drawing their last two home games.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When they come out and start saying they back the Manager you know something is going on. I bet he has had a clip around the ear today.

Should he go?? do i think he will go if things dont turn around, i know thats not what you are asking but yes to that bit.

i have know idea who would take over the job.
Last edited by lakes10 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:07 pm

I think you should have given more options. Rather than yes or no maybe you should have set targets for this season and what would people find unacceptable. No, i don't think he should go but come the end of the season we will be able to look at it with all the evidence in front of us.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Bit early for this mate! 2 defeats , none in the league and your asking if Rafa should go!!!!

I would have waited till after the Arsenal game myself :D
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 pm

It was the home defeat to Marseille that could cost us, what last night proved is Rafa should have replaced Hyypia and that without Torres we're often as impotent up front as we were last season

Should he go? I'm not going into kneejerk reaction over a defeat and possible exit in a competition we've had two finals in, but comes second in priority to the Premiership. It MIGHT actually aid our title bid while rivals are playing in Europe in the new year
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:12 pm

When they come out and start saying they back the Manager you know something is going on. I bet he has had a clip around the ear today.

:D Well this as strange as it sounds, is true. It's true that traditionally the coaches are backed publicly a couple of times before they're sácked. However, I'm not sure whether the Americans are familiar with this football customs.

I don't think Rafa should go. Why? because I've seen worse blips in clubs that have won CLs aswell (Madrid, Barcelona) and we'll get over it aswell.

I don't like to compare too much Liverpool to other clubs, not Spanish, not English, but those who like to compare a lot with Manchester and Arsenal, probably they have noted that those clubs haven't changed their managers in a tight spot?

Meaning, the so praised Wenger, yesteryear didn't reach the CL final, and was behind us in the premiership, was he sácked? No. Are our knees going to be weaker than them? ??? I'll love this club and it will be my club until I die, but if that happens, then I'd be surprised.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 pm

No.... but Rafa needs to think long and hard about what's going on with us at the mo..... And have the courage and humility to make changes as required.
ConnO'var

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 pm

BUT Rafa had the chance to sign a CB to replace Sami and instead he sold another in Palletta. He focused on bringing in even more strikers who seem as useless as last season's quartet generally were and I'm still thinking our starting wide midfielders aren't good enough. Not every thing or decision should be based on the outcome, you can't decide because you win a game everything's ok and if you lose a game it's the end of the world. Those who make a case based on more than a single result or few results are most credible (IMHO)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm

I did it now because I have never read so many negative posts towards him.  To be honest, as I have said, i don't think he should go becasue he is NOT a bad manager. No-one who has won what he has suddenly becomes a bad manager.

As I said earlier I think he would benefit from a strong No2.  Someone who is strong enough and say "look Gaffer this aint working".

The squad is the strongest it has been since the start of the Premiership, but the last 6 or 7 games we have not looked good.  I know we can say we are still unbeaten in the league, but I think most of us here have agreed we don't curently look anywhere near the standard of Man U and Arsenal.  On top of that Chelsea seem to be coming out of their dodgy patch and look to be start firing.

I want Rafa as our manager, he is the right man for the job, but he needs our support, the support of the board and the players. 

I have said in other posts that I thought he was losing the plot, I said that after games wher the players did not seem to know what to do and then Rafa came out and tells us we played well.  I am hoping that is just for the cameras and he is tackling the problem on the training pitch.

I'm sorry if you think this is too early, but I wanted to see other peoples thoughts as there are a lot of posters saying they have had enough..
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:26 pm

why do people keep referring to this as a blip, three years is a hell of a long blip
112-1077774096

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:27 pm

At this time. We are underfeated in the league however we have drawn to teams like Birmingham Lost to Beskitas and Marseille.

If we lose to Arsenal at home i think the league could be pretty much be sailing away and this is rafas fourth year with us and 4 years i think is long enough to win the title.

However a win against arsenal sees us sit just 3 points behind which is a great.

Im going to risk my life and say if we do not win the league this year then yes Rafa should go!

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 pm

Wenger

Premier League (3): 1998, 2002, 2004
FA Cup (4): 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005
FA Community Shield (4): 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004
Manager of the Year (3): 1998, 2002, 2004
Runner-up
Premier League (5): 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005
FA Cup (1): 2001
League Cup (1): 2007
FA Community Shield (2): 2003, 2005
UEFA Champions League (1): 2006
UEFA Cup (1): 2000

I don't want to get into a Wenger is great argument but I think his record speaks for itself Sabre.

Postby Big Niall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 pm

If we don't seriously challenge  for (not necessarily win) the league this year then he should go in the summer.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 pm

peewee wrote:why do people keep referring to this as a blip, three years is a hell of a long blip

Rafa did have to flush the toilet to get rid of the sheet Houllier left behind. In fact he performed a miracle winning the Champions League where Houllier never even came close.

Talking of Houllier, I need to find out that season we botched bigtime and went out with a 3-3 draw in Basil. Where we finished in the league is my interest.........

And Rafa's managed a better points tally in his second season than Houllier managed overall, we have been better under Rafa but we haven't upgraded to a Ferrari we've simply supercharged the Skoda!
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Owzat wrote:
peewee wrote:why do people keep referring to this as a blip, three years is a hell of a long blip

Rafa did have to flush the toilet to get rid of the sheet Houllier left behind. In fact he performed a miracle winning the Champions League where Houllier never even came close.

Talking of Houllier, I need to find out that season we botched bigtime and went out with a 3-3 draw in Basil. Where we finished in the league is my interest.........

And Rafa's managed a better points tally in his second season than Houllier managed overall, we have been better under Rafa but we haven't upgraded to a Ferrari we've simply supercharged the Skoda!

2002/2003 mate - we finished 5th 19 points behind

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion