I met 'digger' today - The legend john barnes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Walking to the train station after work walking through covent garden (London) and to my surprise I see my idol as a kid John Barnes.  Barnsie looks at me and I just said "Digger how are u mate".  He was on his phone so I didnt get to take a picture or talk much but shook his hand and wished me all the best.  Told him what a legend he was and went on my way.
puroresu

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:16 pm

The night we played Barcelona at Anfield last season, I spoke to him on Victoria Street in Liverpool.

Still got a peculiar dress sense. :O
jonnymac1979

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm

Watched his show on LFCTV the other week, legend as a player, shite as a presenter. Did the producers not see him on CH5?

JOHN BARNES  :bowdown  :bowdown
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:The night we played Barcelona at Anfield last season, I spoke to him on Victoria Street in Liverpool.

Peculiar as in...

Anyhow, no matter how he dresses, what a player.

:)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 pm

Manhattan: "Hi John, how are you?"

Digger: "I don't feel like dancin, dancin, even if I find nothing better to do"

Manhattan: "Erm....OK then"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:06 am

I had Mike Brolly as my teacher at school ! (WHO THE F@&^ IS HE ? cries the entire forum)

Well he was one of our greats and found an article of which this bit is more appropriate for all of us.

"The League Cup also provided excitement. Scunthorpe United, Huddersfield Town and Notts County were sent packing before Everton came to Blundell Park for a 4th round tie.

Over 22,000 people were present to witness Mike Brolly's finest hour. In a pulsating tie the winger twice found himself, unusually, in scoring positions. Neither was the clearest of chances but both times Brolly kept his nerve to rifle shots past George Wood.

The second half was an incredibly tense affair but the Mariners would eventually hold out for a 2-1 win to write the next days headlines."

Couldnt understand a word he said mind ! No John Barnes but its the best we got round here !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:11 am

puroresu wrote:Walking to the train station after work walking through covent garden (London) and to my surprise I see my idol as a kid John Barnes.  Barnsie looks at me and I just said "Digger how are u mate".  He was on his phone so I didnt get to take a picture or talk much but shook his hand and wished me all the best.  Told him what a legend he was and went on my way.

My mate saw him on Fleet street(London) last year and got his photo with him, said Digger was a real nice guy as well, apparently he was in London on Business  :;):

Top player though and real Hero for many people. Also he is not a ***** presenter, he's actually quite good IMO, he is just awful with the autocue! had that argument so many times with people  :D
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm

He has been brought up on listening to the manager and enacting that.

this is the problem with the presenting.

Watched his show on LFC TV and when he gets into the conversation he is great.

I would pay to have a bevvy with him and some other players, the stories and that are legendary, and sadly NOT something todays generation of footballer will be able to tell people about.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:14 pm

I bumped into Paul Chuckle while waiting for the plane back from my honeymoon in Canada back in September.

Nothing to do with LFC, but it made me absolutely crease with laugher at the time.
ivor_the_injun

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Well if your talking about name dropping when Dalglish first came to Liverpool he was staying at the Holiday INN until they could find him and his family somewhere to live, He was with his missus Marina and Kelly  and Paul who was only a baby. I was working there at the time and being a match going fan i thought all my christmases had come at once, I used to chat to them most days particularly Kenny about football even though i couldnt understand what he was saying:) . Any way to cut a long story short whenever they where going to a function the hotel used to provide a baby sitter . I was always the one who would volenteer well wouldnt you :D .

We had a lot of the old players stay there when they first came to play for Liverpool, Hansen, Souness , and Alan Kennerdy . Hanson was always in the betting shop he got dragged out of there one day by Ronnie Moran .So my meeting a famous red was babysitting for Kenny
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 am

While Aldo is my favourite LFC player - Barnsie was the most exciting and probably best (Kenny getting on a bit when I first started watching footie).

Got a bit messed up with injuries and never liked him as a fat centre midfielder with Redknapp (who I couldn't stand).

IN my opinion, we still haven't replaced Barnsie or Beardsley. Legends :buttrock
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:30 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:The night we played Barcelona at Anfield last season, I spoke to him on Victoria Street in Liverpool.

spoke to him at the very same game jonnymac i thought his whistle was cool  :cool:

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Well if your talking about name dropping when Dalglish first came to Liverpool he was staying at the Holiday INN until they could find him and his family somewhere to live, He was with his missus Marina and Kelly  and Paul who was only a baby. I was working there at the time and being a match going fan i thought all my christmases had come at once, I used to chat to them most days particularly Kenny about football even though i couldnt understand what he was saying:) . Any way to cut a long story short whenever they where going to a function the hotel used to provide a baby sitter . I was always the one who would volenteer well wouldnt you :D .

We had a lot of the old players stay there when they first came to play for Liverpool, Hansen, Souness , and Alan Kennerdy . Hanson was always in the betting shop he got dragged out of there one day by Ronnie Moran .So my meeting a famous red was babysitting for Kenny

Hey, that's a nice story!!

I know little about how were those players outside the stadium. They were famous, but their images only came to Spain when they were under the red shirt.

In that days around here, it was more normal players having a drink. Aldo for one, did like to have some drink when he lived in San Sebastian!

So the question Nanny, were they always go to "functions" or also sometimes to the pub? :) as in, were they very disciplined sportmen?

Discipline and quality not always came together -- look Romario, but I know little about this players' way of life.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 pm

Sabre wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Well if your talking about name dropping when Dalglish first came to Liverpool he was staying at the Holiday INN until they could find him and his family somewhere to live, He was with his missus Marina and Kelly  and Paul who was only a baby. I was working there at the time and being a match going fan i thought all my christmases had come at once, I used to chat to them most days particularly Kenny about football even though i couldnt understand what he was saying:) . Any way to cut a long story short whenever they where going to a function the hotel used to provide a baby sitter . I was always the one who would volenteer well wouldnt you :D .

Hey, that's a nice story!!

I know little about how were those players outside the stadium. They were famous, but their images only came to Spain when they were under the red shirt.

In that days around here, it was more normal players having a drink. Aldo for one, did like to have some drink when he lived in San Sebastian!

So the question Nanny, were they always go to "functions" or also sometimes to the pub? :) as in, were they very disciplined sportmen?

Discipline and quality not always came together -- look Romario, but I know little about this players' way of life.

Sabre in them days discipline went out the window we were so outstanding on the pitch no one cared what they done when they were off it (im talking about the fans) what went on behind closed doors at Anfield stayed there.

It used to be a ritual when ever we played at home on a Tuesday night most the players  used to go to a club in town called Uglys on Duke St. The worst culprits used to be Tommo,Terry Mac and Souness. Smithy was also a good boozer. in them days though Sabre the players were approachable most of them didnt have there head up there :censored:. I remember one night i stood for about an hour having a chat with Ian Callaghan even bought me a drink and no he wasnt on a chat up  :D just stood talking about footy and Shanks.Sounesses nickname used to be champagne charlie so you can use your own conclusions on that one. Them were the days though and most prob some of the older ones on here will remember that club and the greasy chinese next door.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:13 am

Tosh was always my football idol but for some reason i always wanted to meet Johny Barnes, wrote to Jim'll fix it a few times but got nothing back, didnt think it was askin much.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion