I'm sticking with you - Cus your bruno cheyrou

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:15 pm

SKy SPorts reporting:

Marseille are trying to sign Liverpool midfielder Bruno Cheyrou, whose future at Anfield is in doubt following Gerard Houllier's exit.

The left-sided star has struggled to make a great impact on Merseyside, despite showing signs of promise last term, and may be deemed surplus to requirements by the new manager.

The former Lille man is keen to represent France in the next World Cup and is interested in making the move to Stade Velodrome after feeling he has not achieved his goals at Liverpool.

"I know Marseille are interested," Cheyrou told La Provence.

"I must admit the challenge is attractive, but I am not alone in taking the decision.

"I think l'OM have succeeded in bringing in the best reinforcements in France with Benoit Pedretti, Habib Bamogo and Frederic Dehu.

"So why not me?

"I gave myself two years to make a name for myself and I didn't succeed. Now there is a World Cup in two years in Germany.

"If l'OM can help me reach it, I am interested."

Monaco have also been linked with a move for Cheyrou in the French media.

As Jerome Rothen is leaving for Paris Saint Germain, Didier Deschamps is looking for a new left-sided midfielder.

However, Deschamps's priority target is Olivier Kapo even though the Frenchman is not keen to immediately be loaned out by Juventus so soon after arriving from Auxerre.

what say you on the possibility of shipping old Bruno back home?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:20 pm

I quite like Cheyrou. He is a good attacking midfielder. Just when his form improved last season and he started scoring some goals and getting his feet in the premiership, GH dropped him. I say keep him :;):
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Although Cheyrou scored some goals and had a very good game against Newcastle I think people are forgetting that after his brief flurry in January his performances thereafter were very weak. I know that he didn't get as many games as he should have got but I sincerely doubt Cheyrou will ever make it at Anfield, and I would be prepared to sell him back to France while he still has a transfer value.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:08 pm

STRENGHTS: A talented footballer. Skillful, and a good finisher; has two French caps from his time at Anfield (based mostly on his reputation from France). New Spurs' boss Santini tried to pay £2m more than we did for him in 2002 when he was still boss of Lyon.

WEAKNESSES: Perhaps only a lack of character; and in football, at times that can be everything. He isn't even physically "slight" - he's a big strong lad. Just hasn't matched up to the Pires template of a skillful Frenchman adapting to the game over here; it took Pires six months, and we're still waiting for Bruno after two years.

Verdict: My favourite quote about Cheyrou was when he said of himself: "I was told I still needed to toughen up in French football". Suggests he never stood a chance here. If Benitez can work his magic, then he may have a future, but my rule is: one year to settle, and by the second you should be delivering. It hasn't happened, with the exception of a very promising January; although even then he wasn't contributing a lot to the flow of the game, but I'd settle for him standing on the halfway line picking his nose for 89 minutes if he could pop up with a goal every game. It'd be nice to think he could come good, and become consistently dangerous, but I don't think there'll be too many complaints if we cut our losses.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion