I just read this on rawk - Regarding the 96 seats at the new ground

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Red Tom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:35 pm

First of all; this is not my post on RAWK, or anything like that - but I read it and was very touched and I think it's a wonderful idea.  I wanted to bring it to the attention of more people.

"There's been some suggestions in the past that the club should leave 96 seats empty at the new stadium in tribute to those who perished at the Hillsborough Disaster. It's an idea which has been used by Olympiakos to commemorate the 21 fans who died in their Gate 7 Disaster. Today there is an article in the Mirror regarding this (see below).

Personally I am against this. I think we have a wonderfully dignified memorial already which acts as a real focus for remembrance for all fans. Also I feel having such a large block of empty seats would inhibit the atmosphere around the area - something I'd have thought the fans who died would never want.

Instead I'd like to propose an alternative 96 seats idea.

A block of 96 seats should be set aside for all games and given away free to schools in the local area on a rotational basis, allowing young fans their first glimpse of Anfield action. We all know the high cost prevents many kids getting to see the men in Red, and I think this proactive act of remembrance would be a worthier way of remembering those who perished in the act of supporting the Reds.

-----

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news....9665741

"The 96 Liverpool fans killed in the Hillsborough disaster may have seats left empty for ever in their memory at the club's new home.

Kop chiefs are considering the poignant tribute when their £300million Stanley Park stadium opens in 2010.

The plan has been enthusiastically backed by relatives of the 96 killed in English football's worst tragedy. Phil Hammond, who lost son Phillip, 14, said: "It sounds like a good idea. It's really good of the club to be considering this.

"Hopefully the 96 seats will be in the shape of the number 96 so it really stands out from above."

The Premiership giants said it was one of a number of tributes they were mulling over ahead of the move to the 80,000-seater ground.

Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "We're aware of the suggestions being made but nothing has been decided.

"The club is considering the proposal very carefully and will make a decision in due course." A memorial at their current Anfield home listing the victims will be moved to the new site. The 96 were crushed on terraces during an FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The tragedy led to the introduction of all-seater grounds"."

The thread at RAWK is here: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=190518.0
Red Red Tom

Postby Red Red Tom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:38 pm

I think giving the seats to local schools is a fantastic idea - I know I'd want something like that if it was me.  Sadly we can never know what the 96 would have wanted for sure; but I can't think of a more fitting tribute.  The original thread has a lot more discussion of this idea, including other suggestions, like a memorial garden, or 96 beams of light around the ground.  I know a lot of you will already have seen this over on RAWK, but for anybody that missed it, I think it's THE most important thing to get right in the new ground and I would be interested to hear what everybody else thinks.
Red Red Tom

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:05 pm

I think its a great idea.
They could put the names on the seats of the 96 fans who died.
MightyLFC

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:20 pm

I've heard about the idea and I think its a nice gesture. But someone on another forum got me thinking about this. It really wouldnt affect me personally as I'm not a regular match goer, so this question would be better answered by our regular match goers on here.

Would going to the New ground on a regular basis and seeing 96 dedicated empty seats possibly become slightly morbid/depressing in time at a football match. I mean yor cheering your time on Gerrard scores a belter, then you glance over to one side of the stadium to see 96 empty seats, would that take the enjoyment out of the game slightly ?
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:21 pm

MightyLFC wrote:I think its a great idea.

Like this idea, perhaps also colour scheme the seats in the kop in the way we hold up cards so when empty you see "remember the 96" or simply "96" and it forms a permanent memorial to them (as well as something outside/inside the ground)

Perhaps a selection of advertising boards could rotate to "remember the 96" or even have permanent dedicated boards - one on each side of the pitch so you see it on TV/highlights.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm

Owzat wrote:
MightyLFC wrote:I think its a great idea.

Like this idea, perhaps also colour scheme the seats in the kop in the way we hold up cards so when empty you see "remember the 96" or simply "96" and it forms a permanent memorial to them (as well as something outside/inside the ground)

Perhaps a selection of advertising boards could rotate to "remember the 96" or even have permanent dedicated boards - one on each side of the pitch so you see it on TV/highlights.

Thanks for supporting my idea.
I also like yours.
MightyLFC

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:35 pm

I am definitely against empty seats, seems much like an empty gesture and how does that reflect if 96 fans have to sacrifice watching the games as did those who tragically died. If they could voice their opinion I'm sure they'd want those seats filled, they may well selflessly not want tributes but I think much can be done with seats, advertising boards etc in their memory.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:43 pm

I wouldn't be in favour of empty seats, but I really do like the suggestion that the poster on Rawk makes, whereby the 96 seats are given out free to local schools and children who so often cannot get tickets, or cannot afford tickets to go and see Liverpool.  Giving these tickets out to the schools on a rotational basis would be the fairest way to do it.  I would suggest putting all the names on every seat, rather than a name on each seat because I think there is a chance that people might say "Oh I got this person's seat, or that person's seat", which is too casual for my liking; particularly if they are just kids.  Also you might possibly feel like an intruder for the person who's name is on the seat you are at.
Red Red Tom

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 pm

How about raffling the seats each home game? Raise money and give people a chance at a ticket they might otherwise not get? Pay a fair raffle price for ordinary games, maybe double for when rivals visit. They'll get more than a ticket price for each one and give more people a chance of getting tickets to games they might not otherwise
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:50 pm

Great, great idea.

Obviously the first home game at the new stadium will be a bit of a carnival, no doubt wheeling out all the old players, and I think it'd be really nice to temper it slightly with a reminder of what's gone before.

I reckon it'd be a great gesture to leave them empty for the first game, maybe even have King Ken and Rafa leading 94 schoolkids leaving a flower on each seat. After that first occasion, then go with the idea of giving them away to schoolkids. I think all of the 96 would have loved that.
ivor_the_injun

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:57 pm

I heard Phil Hammond (i think it was) interviewed on Radio City before and he gave his backing to the idea but suggested as an alternative maybe naming one of the new stands in the memory of the 96.
He didn't want the name to include the word Hillsborough but thought that if an acceptable name could be found that commemorated all 96 victims it would be a very good memorial to them.

One idea that has occurred to me is that during big tournaments you often see the flags of the countries taking part suspended from the roof on the inside of the stadium. Maybe the new ground could have a flag/banner hanging down for each one of the 96 with their name on and the eternal flame. That way every person that goes to the stadium will see each of the 96 names and remember them.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Terrible idea. We can come up with something better than that. Does anyone really think that any of the 96 would be happy about 96 fellow supporters not being able to see a game because there is an empty seat in their honour? Not to mention all the other potential problems.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tommycockles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:11 pm

I like the idea of giving the seats to kids from schools (and not just local) as it'll help younger people get to see a real team and stadium. I don't feel that leaving seats empty would be the best tribute and colouring the seats could possibly make the people seated in them feel uneasy. I think a 96 tribute would be good in the stadium but not necessarily attached to 96 seats.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:56 pm

against empty seats even though its for a good cause the club loses revenue though its not much

putting the names of the 96 on the seats isnt a bad idea but how would the family members feel? if anything they are the ones who should be consulted to show some respect.

another idea is simply to have a special room. the room shall be dedicated to those who lost their lives in heysel and hillsborough. people can go there to pay respects and leave flowers, read up on the history of the disasters, etc. make it like a ''classroom with a history lesson'' type of context.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Rob Sallnow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:09 pm

I heard this idea on Radio 5 this morning and think whilst it is a good gesture a lot better one can be made.

If the management are prepared to have 96 empty seats and lose the revenue these would bring then they should give these seats to kids from local schools. It might not have the visual memorial impact that a block of 96 empty seats would have but I can see it being an important thing for schools in future years. 96 empty seats each and every match is 48 wasted opportunities to benefit the next generation of fan. And I'm sure 96 seats would be difficult to ensure stay empty during a match.

Perhaps if they feel a visual or prominent memorial is needed then have one stand called The Memorial Stand or something like that...or replace the liver bird at the top of the badge with '96'.
Rob Sallnow

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion