I can't believe some fans - Calm down

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:59 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:It could be a hard winter but overall I think we'll see a decent improvement over last year.

too possible, JBG
I said it previously that with those extra class players (not to mention the new manager) in Xabi, Garcia, Josemi (and hopefully Nunez), also Cisse (at least he's far better than Heskey), things IMO are IMPOSSIBLE to get worse.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:08 pm

JBG again kinda nails it.

Finnan is a defender and it shows but Nunez and Smicer are injured who would have been better

This is in no way a Houllier dig but it did look like to me that we are a team of two philosiphies at times with the old guard reverting to Houllier tactics when things go wrong. When they are right e.g. Norwich the team flows and at the start of the game there was some good possession keeping that you would not have seen last season but after conceding older players did revert to type

Understandable really as we are a team who have had the confidence knocked out of them and the important word is TIME.  Benitez refreshingly honest on Liverpool.Tv and he admits theres a lot of work to do so let him get on with it
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:09 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:Sometimes we all just need an outlet to excrete the filth out of our rational side -which is valid as long as not being abusive.
Nobody would say we played decently yet it's unfair to demand the team to speed up beyond their speed limit. We do need time, even realistically, may be a bit more while than expected with those lack of resources. It would have not happened if our finance are backed-up by the typhoon abrakadabramovich.

what the hell is that all about? ???  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:14 pm

stmichael wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:Sometimes we all just need an outlet to excrete the filth out of our rational side -which is valid as long as not being abusive.
Nobody would say we played decently yet it's unfair to demand the team to speed up beyond their speed limit. We do need time, even realistically, may be a bit more while than expected with those lack of resources. It would have not happened if our finance are backed-up by the typhoon abrakadabramovich.

what the hell is that all about? ???  :D

football
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:29 pm

The only positive that came out of last night is that there was only one goal in it.

If zonal aint working why pursue it in a pressurised match. For me I've never seen Hypia play so awful but then so did some of the others.

Not sure about Kirkland and we need to be careful as I think the days of the great English keepers maybe over and the problems the clubs have in finding keepers is a reflection of this.

I may judge the manager in 4-6 months but I want to talk about him now.

I always thought the forum was the place for fans the air their thoughts and concerns otherwise it may end up souless.
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:34 pm

zonal marking is very much a european style of defending which teams on the continent employ. you never really see any teams over here employing it.

it seems blatantly obvious to me that the defenders themselves don't know what they are supposed to be doing with zonal defence, especially hyypia. rafa really needs to sit down with the defence and see what they are most comfortable with.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:51 pm

Personally, I could not see many positives on the field last night.
Maybe Rafa, can get some satisfaction from seeing some pf the players implemeting his plan's. But equally maybe he pulled a lot of dissatisfaction and frustration from players not capable of fullfilling his tactics.
Maybe it's Rafa's tactics that do not suit the players or the opposition.
But sure as hell we did not look very good last night in any department and I for one can not sit back with 'Red Tinted' glasses on and say don't worry it will soon get better.
Apart from the three new spanish lads', the rest do not give me much of an indication of being able to improve and step up their perfomance to impress at the highest level. :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:14 pm

I think some people may have misinterpreted my post.

I'm prepared to give Benitez as long as it takes, provided of course there is improvement.

Improvement doesn't necessarily mean winning the league, but a gradual but definite closing of the gap between us and the champions.

I criticised Finnan but accept that Benitez has little other option but to pick him given the unexpected injury to Nunez.

Riise is an ok player but ultimately he lacks that certain "something". In the long term Benitez may have to turn his attention to left back, but he can't really afford to at the moment.

This zonal defence thing is worrying as I honestly think it'll back fire against the likes of Southampton, Charlton, Newcastle etc and we'll give away soft goals from set pieces. I don't think our existing players understand it.

All the same, our home form has been excellent and that's a huge stride forward given our problems at Anfield under Houllier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:16 pm

jbg. do you think we would have lost last night with houllier in charge? i personally don't?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:23 pm

stmichael wrote:jbg. do you think we would have lost last night with houllier in charge? i personally don't?

I am not sure about that St Mick, but I am sure if GH was in charge we would be putting up with no end of p1ss poor excuses, blaming the ref and also saying "I could not have asked for more from my players".
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:26 pm

i just don't think we would have defended as p#ss poorly with houllier in charge. that was his main priority. this zonal marking lark needs to be ditched now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:27 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
stmichael wrote:jbg. do you think we would have lost last night with houllier in charge? i personally don't?

I am not sure about that St Mick, but I am sure if GH was in charge we would be putting up with no end of p1ss poor excuses, blaming the ref and also saying "I could not have asked for more from my players".

While i dont want to get into GH thread again
I will ask would would we have won against Monaco with GH as manager
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:30 pm

laza wrote:While i dont want to get into GH thread again
I will ask would would we have won against Monaco with GH as manager

that's not really the point laza. the point is that when houllier was here at least we were well organised in defence, especially from set pieces. now we just look like a complete shambles. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:33 pm

We might have lost if Gerrard Houllier was in charge but I don't think we would have lost to a header.

The zonal marking has to go as Carragher and Hyppia can't handle it. Its against their nature. Maybe if Rafa buys in a few continental centre halves who understand it then ok, but we are going to lose a few matches because of it.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm

The Greek national team done a similar job in Euro 2004 they stifled the play broke up any movement by falling on the turf more times than the rain .
Olympiakos frustrated the life out of Deportivo in their last game by suffocating the midfield and stopping the supply line from their more inventive players ie Valeron .

The same scenario was what Liverpool were confronted with last night they are a very difficult team to break down but with better distribution from the wings Liverpool might have shaded the match in the second half.

I can envisage a lot of teams leaving Greece empty handed and that also includes Panikanithos as well as Olympiakos in that equation .Greek football is on the rise and their fired up by their national teams success .
Albeit I was shocked at Colinas ineptitude last night for a top referee the standard was poor, Olympiakos stumbled and collapsed to the floor with every contact however slight and that stopped the game developing a fluency .

Liverpools deficiencies were clearly highlighted last night but Benitez will sort it out ,
but what Aggravates me the most is posters on this forum screaming for players heads .(this is it till January so get behind the team ) or heres a novel idea  actually go to see them play at Anfield under Benitez's new regime and you might be enlightened .
I genuinely look forward to our home games and that for the time being is enough for this forum member 
:D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion