How much have we really spent? - And what does it mean?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:22 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:The risk of missing CL is too great to take - you cannot miss out on CL no matter what - it is essential for the club .

No Its a must for rafa the club would have done well not being in it for 1 season.

A. T&T might have had to sell up faster
B. we could have focused on league purely 1 season
C. 1 season with less games can do wonders for a players motivation.

Sorry but no -

No team cant afford to not be in the CLs -

1. it helps attract the big players - the top ones
2. The money you get from the tournament enables you to pay for the big players
3. Being in the tournament enables you to keep your best players.
4. Not being in the CL good for motivation ? you really think our players would of been motivated by playing less games while other teams and players play on the big stage every week ? They all want to play in the CL and if they didnt get it with us they would look elsewhere .

No team ? villa seem to be doing ok and so are alot of others stupid comment very stupid.

Also since when has it been hard to bring players to liverpool we are massive club also I seen us  not in CL before and no player wanted to leave cos of it.

Villa doing well ? yes they are in the top 4 at the moment but how many world class players have they managed to attract - and i mean world class - players like torres and gerrard .

Liverpool not in the CL is a disaster we cannot afford ever.

Mate its not all about world class players alot of world class player couldn't hack it in the prem its about bring in players who can hack it in the prem and villa have alot of those type of players.

Fact is rafa hasn't really spent poorly he just bought alot of players that are more suited to CL football then prem football and it shows week by week.

MY ar.se is fat and my balls ring like the big ben

er ok what you on GYBS.  :laugh:

FFS, this a football discussion not general chat.  If you want muck around editing people's posts and trading one liners feck off to another thread!   :angry:

Effes has said it recently and he's spot on, this place is fast turning into a chat room at times with the bloody one-liners.  They offer little insight and kill discussion because you have to wade through loads of dross to get to any proper football discussion.  If you're going to post in a footy thread, could you (and by this I mean every one that wants to contribute, not just LB) show people the courtesy of collecting your thoughts into a few lengthier contributions rather than simply using one liners to retort to single points or to trade barbs?  It's about quality not quantity, lads.  :glare:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm

1. Diego Cavalieri backup keeper ok in both
2. Andrea Dossena better in CL poor in prem
4. Sami Hyypia  ok in both soilded defender/lack pace at times
5. Daniel Agger does well in both when fit
8. Steven Gerrard  class on his day best in squad in both
9. Fernando Torres seemed to do better in prem then CL but stil would be first choice in both
11. Albert Riera better CL imo ok in prem
12. Fabio Aurelio  prem better lacks a bit for CL football
14. Xabi Alonso Xavi CL he is at best some times performs well in league
15. Yossi Benayoun CL players better 90% of time
17. Alvaro Arbeloa another CL player imo lacks pressance in prem
18. Dirk Kuyt ok in prem but better in CL imo
19. Ryan Babel has been poor in prem but had some great games in CL
20. Javier Mascherano soild in both but better CL imo
21. Lucas Leiva poor but put in few good performances in CL
22. Emiliano Insua only just started playing but looks good in prem
23. Jamie Carragher both but I still think he is better in prem
24. David Ngog same as Insua
25. Pepe Reina soild keeper CL or prem
27. Philipp Degen wtf who cares get rid
28. Damien Plessis looked good CL and wanting in prem
31. Nabil El Zhar no way prem player not much going for him YET
37. Martin Skrtel Good in prem and CL but not good RB :D

my take on squad
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:The risk of missing CL is too great to take - you cannot miss out on CL no matter what - it is essential for the club .

No Its a must for rafa the club would have done well not being in it for 1 season.

A. T&T might have had to sell up faster
B. we could have focused on league purely 1 season
C. 1 season with less games can do wonders for a players motivation.

Sorry but no -

No team cant afford to not be in the CLs -

1. it helps attract the big players - the top ones
2. The money you get from the tournament enables you to pay for the big players
3. Being in the tournament enables you to keep your best players.
4. Not being in the CL good for motivation ? you really think our players would of been motivated by playing less games while other teams and players play on the big stage every week ? They all want to play in the CL and if they didnt get it with us they would look elsewhere .

No team ? villa seem to be doing ok and so are alot of others stupid comment very stupid.

Also since when has it been hard to bring players to liverpool we are massive club also I seen us  not in CL before and no player wanted to leave cos of it.

Villa doing well ? yes they are in the top 4 at the moment but how many world class players have they managed to attract - and i mean world class - players like torres and gerrard .

Liverpool not in the CL is a disaster we cannot afford ever.

Mate its not all about world class players alot of world class player couldn't hack it in the prem its about bring in players who can hack it in the prem and villa have alot of those type of players.

Fact is rafa hasn't really spent poorly he just bought alot of players that are more suited to CL football then prem football and it shows week by week.

MY ar.se is fat and my balls ring like the big ben

FFS, this a football discussion not general chat.  If you want muck around editing people's posts and trading one liners feck off to another thread!   :angry:

Effes has said it recently and he's spot on, this place is fast turning into a chat room at times with the bloody one-liners.  They offer little insight and kill discussion because you have to wade through loads of dross to get to any proper football discussion.  If you're going to post in a footy thread, could you (and by this I mean every one that wants to contribute, not just LB) show people the courtesy of collecting your thoughts into a few lengthier contributions rather than simply using one liners to retort to single points or to trade barbs?  It's about quality not quantity, lads.  :glare:

I thought it would be in every ones best instrest to kill that little debate ffs stop focusing on me you getting to be like a bad rash.

More so when bav said GYBS -legbarnes round 2 I don't want that idiot getting me baned agian with his constent questions.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm

I'll keep it simple as possible, and repeat what I've been saying over and over for years:

We've been shopping in Tesco's bargain bucket, while the others have been shopping in M&S. We can't spend 20 to 30 million (50 million total) on the two players we really want in the Summer. Once Chelsea or United go after a player that we are also interested in, it's goodnight. How many players in that United team should we have had? I know we could have had Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic. Three quality players. How many in the Chelsea team? How many clubs refused to sell us players because they knew they could get a better price off the big spenders?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 pm

But look at our youngsters in the 90s ? where they up there with the mancs ? some where but overall nowhere near so taggert laid the foundations in those first 7 years in 80s and 90s and then just built on and on them winning while we kept rebuilding then rebuilding again then rebuilding again all the while not reallly get that much closer - then along came chelsea and yes they have two title to prove it but they spent well over a hundred mill in one season by maureen to add to a squad that had already cost 200 mil by raneri .

Has the money rafa spent always been just pure money from the owners the stuff that chelsea (used to get) and mancs get - For them its just going out and spending money on who they want - How much of that money spent has come from player sales and players that needed replacing (wether said players should or shouldnt of gone is another debate) . So its like Rafa wants to get better quality but has to sell players to raise required funds - so off go 3 or 4 players to help raise funds and then rafa spends that money on replacements but he cant just spend it on one player - he needs the squad to cope so cant leave it too thin. Where as the mancs and up until this season chelsea could just go out and buy such and such and not have to worry about having to sell to recoup or buy to fill gaps - they all bought the players they wanted and at any price they could be bought for - Bar Torres and Maybe Masher the rest of our purchases have been around 10 mil and below because we couldnt afford to pay out more for other players - Players like simao and alves etc - players that rafa wanted but couldnt afford .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:33 pm

On the question of Ronaldo its interesting to read in Thommos book that we got offered him and for a fee and Liverpool were thinking it over - the next thing they knew was getting a phone call saying Man Utd had just bought him for 12 odd mill which was more than double what he was offered to liverpool .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I'll keep it simple as possible, and repeat what I've been saying over and over for years:

We've been shopping in Tesco's bargain bucket, while the others have been shopping in M&S. We can't spend 20 to 30 million (50 million total) on the two players we really want in the Summer. Once Chelsea or United go after a player that we are also interested in, it's goodnight. How many players in that United team should we have had? I know we could have had Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic. Three quality players. How many in the Chelsea team? How many clubs refused to sell us players because they knew they could get a better price off the big spenders?

Shankly wanted Jack Charlton and Denis Law. He didn't get them so he bought Stjohn and Yeats instead. That's football mate, you have to make concessions, you have to adapt and you have to have other options incase you don't get your first choice.

What you DON'T do is put all your eggs in one basket as we did with Heinze and Malouda, and finish up WITHOUT any option at all.

The mancs wanted Ronaldinho, they were gazzumped by Barca, so they bought Ronaldo instead. Options mate.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I'll keep it simple as possible, and repeat what I've been saying over and over for years:

Until we bridge that gap we will never be dominant on a domestic level again im afraid.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 pm

It's a combination of lack of proper competative investment; lack of proper advisement regarding players; Rafa's dodgy signings (yes, he has made a few); and (possibly) rotation, and some poor team selections at times. Oh, that and the fact that United just simply replace to strengthen with the right player at a premium price. There are far too many factors at work as to why we haven't won the league in so long to simply just point the finger at any one single manager that takes over us and fails in his first few season. Sure the next manager will come in and require big money to build the squad he wants as well. You're in a losing situation, unless...
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

These owners do not have the money to be able to get us to the same level as Utd on a squad basis. If it was the same 11 week in week out for us we would be ok but as soon we start to swap players out through fatigue or injury thats where the lack of money starts to show.

I mean honestly Philly Degen. WTF.
Last edited by tubby on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 pm

s@int wrote:

Shankly wanted Jack Charlton and Denis Law. He didn't get them so he bought Stjohn and Yeats instead. That's football mate, you have to make concessions, you have to adapt and you have to have other options incase you don't get your first choice.

What you DON'T do is put all your eggs in one basket as we did with Heinze and Malouda, and finish up WITHOUT any option at all.

The mancs wanted Ronaldinho, they were gazzumped by Barca, so they bought Ronaldo instead. Options mate.

I think Rafa's been doing that since he took over, S@int. You'll notice that he has aquired some very good players as second choice targets. Even then, second choice targets don't come cheap these days. I'm afraid to get back on top, we need to buy the very best players. A lot of teams have caught up on us since the days of Shankly. I mean that as far as competing on the pitch.

I really don't care if we have to spend 100 million in one summer to land the quality we're after. So long as we win the title and are competing in Europe. So long as it gets us back on the map domestically. The important thing is that there is continuation. I think if you want continuation, then you need a manager and a group of core players to be there for a sustained amount of time to build a regime.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:MY ar.se is fat and my balls ring like the big ben

I thought it would be in every ones best instrest to kill that little debate ffs stop focusing on me you getting to be like a bad rash.

More so when bav said GYBS -legbarnes round 2 I don't want that idiot getting me baned agian with his constent questions.

You post this sh!t up but I'm getting to be bad rash? ??? Reality check, sunshine--you're heading down a road you don't want to go down with me.  Sort yourself out or you'll be watching from the sidelines.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm

If we could risk blowing 100 million in one season i think it would improve our chances extremely - for that sort of  money we would get in some high quality players and also some high quality replacements. Who those players would be is another matter same with where would the money come from .

Would it be worth the risk of us going further into the red with the banks to blow that sort of money ? Can we only do it with new owners .

With that sort of transfer fund afforded to the other teams i think Rafa could get the real quality he really wants - the top class players he wants at the club to go with the top class we already have - players like kuyt and arbeloa and reira and aurelio would become back ups which itself makes the overall squad stronger and strong enough to challeneg on different fronts.
Last edited by GYBS on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Emerald Red wrote:It's a combination of lack of proper competative investment; lack of proper advisement regarding players; Rafa's dodgy signings (yes, he has made a few); and (possibly) rotation, and some poor team selections at times. Oh, that and the fact that United just simply replace to strengthen with the right player at a premium price. There are far too many factors at work as to why we haven't won the league in so long to simply just point the finger at any one single manager that takes over us and fails in his first few season. Sure the next manager will come in and require big money to build the squad he wants as well. You're in a losing situation, unless...

Good post mate, I don't necessarily agree that a new manager would need huge money, but a good post nevertheless.

What worries me is that  obvious deficiancies in the squad (and first team) never seem to get adequately resolved, while we seem to overstrengthen in the places where we are already strong. We must have about 10(may be a slight exaggeration) goalkeepers, midfield players and CB's either in the first team squad or kicking their heels in the reserves.

While good players get transferred out and are never adequately replaced (Finnan)
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 pm

I think with the players going out and being replaced prob finnan was the main one people cant understand - same with me - Yes he was coming towards the end of his career but he was still by far good enough to compete alongside arbeloa for the right back spot . Other players that have gone and been replaced i guess that will be a long debate but in the main a fair number have been replaced by better .

Sorry bar crouch who wasnt replaced well .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion