How much have we really spent? - And what does it mean?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 pm

peewee wrote:just wondering, if rafa gets to spend the same as jose did at chelsea, and we go on to win the league, will people say we bought the title and it had nothing to do with good management, just wondering

Well you certainly would!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:29 pm

kazza wrote:
peewee wrote:just wondering, if rafa gets to spend the same as jose did at chelsea, and we go on to win the league, will people say we bought the title and it had nothing to do with good management, just wondering

well if you actually read my posts you would know I wouldn't say that, I don't buy into that whole buying the league thing, its won by good management and not amount spent
112-1077774096

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:53 pm

peewee wrote:well if you actually read my posts you would know I wouldn't say that, I don't buy into that whole buying the league thing, its won by good management and not amount spent

Yeah! Everyone starts on an equal footing and it's only sheer brilliant managing that puts the highest spenders at the top of the league every year for the last 10 or so years ....

Put Fergie or Jose at Stoke for a season and they would be Champs by May..........money has simply no bearing on the matter :cool:  :oh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:55 pm

I see what your saying supersub, money obviously makes a massive difference but it still has to be spent properly.
You only have to look at Spurs to see money isnt the be all and end all.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:00 pm

supersub wrote:
peewee wrote:well if you actually read my posts you would know I wouldn't say that, I don't buy into that whole buying the league thing, its won by good management and not amount spent

Yeah! Everyone starts on an equal footing and it's only sheer brilliant managing that puts the highest spenders at the top of the league every year for the last 10 or so years ....

Put Fergie or Jose at Stoke for a season and they would be Champs by May..........money has simply no bearing on the matter :cool:  :oh:

and by the same token if you put tony pullis at chelsea or the mancs they wouldn't win the league
112-1077774096

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:25 pm

If you put fergie and jose at Anfield for the past 5 years they wouldn't have won the league for Liverpool

If you put Rafa at chelsea or the mancs he would have had a very healthy championship trophy haul
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:31 pm

supersub wrote:If you put fergie and jose at Anfield for the past 5 years they wouldn't have won the league for Liverpool

If you put Rafa at chelsea or the mancs he would have had a very healthy championship trophy haul

that i doubt
112-1077774096

Postby Rockthekop » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:03 pm

As far as I'm concerned Rafa has spent enough money to try take us that bit closer to winning the title.  We are closer but far from close enough.

He has improved the squad of course to a degree, but for the funds spent we should at least have one quality RW, two quality strikers minimum and a second RB.  We should have a much better squad than we do and will need to have to win the title. 

I don't buy it that our position is a purely down to a lack of funds.  Obviously it has some bearing, but the squad isn't as much the problem as Rafa's management skills IMO.
Rockthekop

Postby LegBarnes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:02 pm

supersub wrote:If you put fergie and jose at Anfield for the past 5 years they wouldn't have won the league for Liverpool

You have good point SS but I think alot of managers have had loads of money over years and not been able to do much with it look at Real , inter , PSG , spurs , suderland just to name a few all spent alot but where are they in terms of being great teams.

But your point is soild just I think you need a half decent manager in there to build a team or you end up like man city.

Thats no pop at mark hughes who I think is great manager but is he really picking the transfers ? or is it the owners I can see that club going only 1 way turning into a real madrid.  :no
Last edited by LegBarnes on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm

peewee wrote:
kazza wrote:

well if you actually read my posts you would know I wouldn't say that, I don't buy into that whole buying the league thing, its won by good management and not amount spent

Yes good managment is required but the money does have a big help after all you are able to build a strong squad with many quality players to fill all positions.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:06 pm

bavlondon wrote:
peewee wrote:
kazza wrote:

Yes good managment is required but the money does have a big help after all you are able to build a strong squad with many quality players to fill all positions.

Yep every one is right here really its common sense you need a good combo of good management and nice transfer budget to make a top team if you have less of one or other you will fail.

But I do think you can make a very good team with ok players and top manager but you can make a very good team from top players and bad manager.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:53 pm

IF they had bought the same players Rafa has, you may be right, the fact that they might possibly have bought better leaves it still open to question. We have spent £200million maybe they could have bought fewer and better players perhaps?
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 pm

s@int wrote:

IF they had bought the same players Rafa has, you may be right, the fact that they might possibly have bought better leaves it still open to question. We have spent £200million maybe they could have bought fewer and better players perhaps?

Maybe maybe not. For Fergie I dont think so. It's easier to lure players to Utd even if it is on the cheap as they are a side who have dominated domestically for some time now.

Jose- I have to disagree with you there. He went on one of the biggest spending sprees in history and when he did buy for less than 10Mil they were fecking shyte. Most of his big players who helped win the league for him were big money players. Drogba, 20m+, Carvalho, Essien.

Saint you cannot automatically assume they would buy better for the same money Rafa had as the dynamics of the clubs they were/are at are different to us. Chelsea are big spenders and from West London which is a popular area. Utd can argue to be the best club in the world. Not much more needs to be said than that.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:06 pm

bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:

Maybe maybe not. For Fergie I dont think so. It's easier to lure players to Utd even if it is on the cheap as they are a side who have dominated domestically for some time now.

Jose- I have to disagree with you there. He went on one of the biggest spending sprees in history and when he did buy for less than 10Mil they were fecking shyte. Most of his big players who helped win the league for him were big money players. Drogba, 20m+, Carvalho, Essien.

Saint you cannot automatically assume they would buy better for the same money Rafa had as the dynamics of the clubs they were/are at are different to us. Chelsea are big spenders and from West London which is a popular area. Utd can argue to be the best club in the world. Not much more needs to be said than that.

Just for a moment IMAGINE Mourinho had taken over Liverpool back in 2004. 

1st season
He comes in and looks at the squad and instead of buying Josemi, Xabi and Garcia (£20million) manages to persuade Owen to stay (not impossible for a manager of his charisma ? ) He buys Cech and Robben (£19million)they were also his first purchases for Chelsea.

He doesnt buy Morientes or  Carson (£8.5million)

Similar spend with no money received for Owen, but no purchase of Morientes and Carson.

Immediately he has solved two of our biggest problems, we have a top quality wide player and a top goalkeeper.

Team year one

Cech

Finnan     Carra        Hyypia        Riise

Robben     Gerrard     Hamann    Kewell

Owen  Cisse/Baros

Not a bad side and no huge names (at the time) that we would have had great difficulty persuading to come.

Similar improvements in the second SEASON. Instead of buying FIFTEEN PLAYERS for £27million, he buys Drogba for £24million (obviously this would be a more contentious signing as he may have wanted the bright lights of London (if anyone from London had wanted him ?)

He sells Baros (same as Rafa did)

Team year two

Cech

Robben     Gerrard     Hamann    Kewell

Owen   Drogba/Cisse

Third year, instead of spending £30million on TWELVE PLAYERS Mourinho spends his money on a Left winger to replace Kewell and a Midfield player to replace Hamman. So perhaps Essien and Simao for £34million (remember he didn't lose £4million selling Morientes and he spent £3million less last season )

Team year 3

Cech

Robben     Gerrard     Essien    Simao

Owen   Drogba/Cisse

Etc etc

While its all pie in the sky rubbish tbh, I think it does emphasise my point that our money has been spread too thinly with too much quantity and not enough quality.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:11 pm

It's easy to look at things from the armchair in hindsight. Robben is a good player but his character stinks and Essien has a dark streak about him I would not want either at this club. Whats to say both those players only went to chelsea becasue they saw they had loads of money so it was a given they would be surrounded by likewise talent.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion