How many trophies can we win and which? - Realistically

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:20 pm

All the other threads were starting to become a bit dry so I think this is an interesting topic to discuss. We are in for 6 competitions:

Premiership
FA cup
Carling cup
Champions League
Super cup
World club cup

REALISTICALLY how many trophies CAN we win this season and which ones are they? (This is not for which trophies we WANT to win)
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:30 pm

stoney wrote:All the other threads were starting to become a bit dry so I think this is an interesting topic to discuss. We are in for 6 competitions:

Premiership
FA cup
Carling cup
Champions League
Super cup
World club cup

REALISTICALLY how many trophies CAN we win this season and which ones are they? (This is not for which trophies we WANT to win)

Premiership YES
FA cup YES
Carling cup YES
Champions League YES
Super cup YES
World club cup YES

I think yes , what about You ??  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red marauder » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:42 pm

World Cup.....YES
IBF Heavyweight Championship of the World....YES
Synchronised Swimming Gala...YES
Aunty Mabel's Cookie Cook-Off ..YES
       In fact anything Rafa puts his 4kin mind to.
  I honestly believe that we are entering  the next age of succe3ss for L.F.C.
                 IN RAFA WE TRUST[U]
RED MARAUDER
red marauder

Postby red37 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:51 pm

honestly. id be happy with ANY of the cups and top3.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:59 pm

Premiership- not this year
FA cup- Yes
Carling cup- Yes
Champions League- don't think we'll focus on the CL as we did last time
Super cup- Yes
World club cup- depends if we decide to go or not

Looks like a possible treble :blues:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:32 pm

As far as trophies go, obviously, the one off games are our best bet.  That sensibly goes without saying.  They're still trophies and who would bet against us at the moment?  We'll win these two.

As for the usual domestic competitions, I want us to concentrate on the league, fu*k the "Big Three", lets gatecrash that little cosy party.

After last season, I would love to get to the FA Cup final and prove that after all the bad publicity over the last few seasons, it is still the most romantic trophy to win.

The Carling(?) Cup; again, after last season, we do seem to take this trophy seriously, if you look through our history.  We have won it more than any other side.  I think this trophy has only been in existence since 1961 (I think the closest to us are Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest on 5 and 4 respectively, correct me if I'm wrong....) and again, it is a 'romantic' trophy although nowhere near the same gravity as the FA Cup.  I expect we will play the youth sides again.  It will be experience for the fringe players.  You have to believe that we will get to the final again.

Champions League!!!!  (JonnyMac wipes the sweat and tears away AGAIN).  We are the Champions Of Europe.  We are going to be a major fu*king scalp should we fail to defend the trophy.  I am expecting at the very least that we reach the last 16, in relation to where Rafa is up to with his Grand Plan.  Probably, back in January when ‘James’ Traore made that catastrophic error in scoring that Zidane-esque own goal against Burnley, Benitez was the only man in the country who had belief that we would go all the way in the Champions League.  Rafa couldn’t believe the media circus afterwards.  His attitude was “Whoa there, hang on, so you’re moaning about Liverpool just getting knocked out he FA Cup are you?  What are you talking about?  We’re going for the Champions League.  And we’ll win it.”

I’m not asking if you trusted him or not, I’m asking if you shared the optimism and if you believed him?

He has been in the job 13 months and if we are all being honest with ourselves, because I am being honest with myself, I never expected us to triumph last season.  It's not that I have a defeatist attitude, I'm realistic, that's all.

I think it was JBG that said on here a few months back that no matter what happens next season, even if we finish within 10-15 points of Chelsea, the new benchmark (who both unfortunately and admittedly at the same time, I do think will win the League in 2006), I agree next season will be seen as something of an anti-climax, even though next season, we will be a more complete 'squad'. 

Our first team players (at least those who started the Champions League final for us, seven out of the eleven were Houllier signings; the others were Carragher, Gerrard, the two graduates; and Alonso and Garcia) will have had more time to get used to the Benitez-way  Lets face it, the man is currently, as much as it pains me to say it, along with Mourinho, the best proven manager in Europe.  Right this second, as European Champion, it’s Benitez.  Call it bias if you want.  Fu*k bias, it’s the truth.

Due to Chelsea having one of the top three squads in Europe (and the other two I have in mind are Barcelona and AC Milan in that order), Chelsea may be the team to beat next season.  Not only in our Premier league but in Europe.

I know that we have the right manager for us to complete this mission.  For fu*ks sake, if this guy can get our injury riddled, inexperienced squad to the uppermost and elite position in Europe, he can do anything given a whole ten month season to weave his magic.

And it all starts next week, baby!!!!!!!!  :buttrock   :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
jonnymac1979

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:36 pm

and it needs to start with a win away. In order to improve our away record we must begin with a positive result away
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:45 pm

yeh if we win the match against against boro that should set ourselves up for a good away season this year. Im goin for 2-1 LFC. I predicted quite a few of the results in Euro 2004 (Even Englands 1st game against france) which I got right aswell the others so I'll probs be right again :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:48 pm

stoney wrote:yeh if we win the match against against boro that should set ourselves up for a good away season this year. Im goin for 2-1 LFC. I predicted quite a few of the results in Euro 2004 (Even Englands 1st game against france) which I got right aswell the others so I'll probs be right again :D

What?  You were celebrating when we got done 2-1 in the last minute by Zidane?  I couldn't speak when we lost that game.  For about half an hour.  I was so shocked.  Apologies if you're not English of course.

Saying that, France were a pale shadow of thier former selves and we were unlucky that night.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:50 pm

Were gona win everything f*ck it, we are the best and everyone else can f*ck off.  :love:  :buttrock  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:52 pm

No i wernt celebrating when France beat us but like you jmac im a realist and although I didnt want it to happen i knew that France were gonna win. maybe if we didnt have the defensive :censored: sven in charge we'd be winning these games
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:59 pm

Fair enough, wrong forum, and I don't want this to turn into an England discussion, otherwise I'll just delete the posts and put them elsewhere, but Sven won't win England sh!te.  Me, our kid and my cousin are planning on going to Germany next summer.  Either that or Mexico.  But I'd rather go the World Cup.

Don't reply to this regarding England.  I'm going to set up a World Cup board on this forum tomorrow.

Carry on talking about Liverpool please.
jonnymac1979

Postby DrTNT » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:01 am

Premiership- maybe but ????? over our away form
FA cup - yes
Carling cup - yes
Champions League - no because we will be concentrating on the league
Super cup - yes
World club cup- yes if we bring a strong team
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:03 am

all of em
   REINA
FINNAN
CARRA
SAMI
TRAORE
ZENDEN
SG
XABI
????
NANDO
CISSE
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:08 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:I'm going to set up a World Cup board on this forum tomorrow.

Fu*king hell, how pi$$ed am I?  There is aleady a World Cup message board in this forum. 

You learn somthing new every minute.

I should probably post something in there about Svennis and his stupid 'almost going bald' haircut.

Top missus though you will agree.
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion