How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 am

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Better get him out of here sharpish then.

No rush, you need to be more patient,  lets give him his last chance first, you never know DIC may come to his and our rescue yet.

It's an interesting one this DIC thing though Saint. I don't suppose for one second that having a huge wadge of cash makes it anything other than much easier to build a top class team, but it might not be the be all and end all.

For example, a couple of people have said that Rafa would win the Premiership if he was the manager of either Chelsea or Manchester United, and I guess he probably would go very close. Say for instance though that DIC took over tomorrow and saud Abrhamovich style, "go and buy who you wantski" would he then deliver the title? Obviously nobody knows the answer, we're all merely guessing but it would be an interesting one.

My feeling is that it is absolutely impossible for us to win the Premiership next season, regardless of who is the manager. That's not because we are outgunned financially, there have been  dodgy emails in Texas or any of that nonsense, it's simply because we are coming from too far back. I've long said that winning the title is like climbing Everest, first you've got to set up camp below the summit and go from there. This was the travesty of last season, our abject failure to ever get into position means we wasted an opportunity to set ourselves up for next term. The best we can hope for in my opinion is to launch a significant challenge, before finishing within five or six points of the eventual winners (which will almost certainly be Man Utd again).

Anyway, back tothe question about funds. If you gave Rafa unlimited funds, how long would it take for him to get a credible challenge off the ground, and would it happen at all? My guess is it would, but you'd be looking at probably two or three seasons from now for a realistic push forthe title, what with bedding players in and the like.

Thats a very depressing post Mick, all the more so because its likely to be true  :(

I have just posted an article in the rumour mill that Chelsea are going to offer £50million for Torres. While I know(hope to god) we would turn the offer down if there is actually any substance behind it, but what if Abromavich says £75million ? Would that give Rafa the base to mount a title challenge? Bring in 3 top quality players at the expense of one World class player? 

All supposing that the £75million didn't finish up in Hick's back pocket!
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Mon May 26, 2008 3:02 am

Yes leaving aside all discussions about "options" and "possibilities" for a second, even a 75 million injection and KEEPING Torres wouldn't see us win the title in my view, but obviously we would have a much better chance of finding the right players and funding their transfers. If on the other hand we were to lose Torres that would be a disaster as we don't currently have a striker worthy of the name aside from him. I suppose we could go back to Crouch and say "sorry Pete" but I wouldn't hold my breath. Needless to say if we were to lose Torres and then subsequently not reinvest the proceeds, we would be totally fecked.

All that said, I don't think for a minute we will lose Torres. I do think Alonso will leave, and I do think we'll seign Gareth Barry. We'll very likely buy a couple of option/possibility players for the flanks and we'll rotate considerably less. We'll secure more points than this season, but unfortunately so will the Mancs (it isn't often they fall out of the traps like they did this season). I see us finishing a dozen or so points off the pace, still in fourth. I also think we'll reach at least the quarters of the Champions League, having said that so will Arsenal, Chelsea and the Mancs.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 26, 2008 3:05 am

Jeez guys the footie seasons only finished 2 weeks ago and cabin fever is raging already...... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm

bigmick wrote:Say for instance though that DIC took over tomorrow and saud Abrhamovich style, "go and buy who you wantski" would he then deliver the title?

no. he would rotate the team, find his best eleven after december, keep the players fresh for next season's pre-season, and then repeat the same procedure.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Penguins » Mon May 26, 2008 2:10 pm

With the way things are at the club right now these kinds of threads amaze me.

Still some think it's our good given right to win or challenge for the league no matter what happens.

Say Degen, and a few more bosmans will arrive and still
people will call for Rafa's head if we fail to win. Pathetic I say.

Every damn soul knows we are in deep **** and there is not even close to the money that our rivals can spend.
AND YES, MONEY DECIDE THINGS IN MODERN FOOTBALL!
So unless Rafa can't perform miracles, which noone else has done lately, we should sack him and look for another magician who can conjure up a title with little resources.
It's time to stop dreaming that money isn't the deciding factor and major investment isn't necessary to win titles.
And I am not talking about outspending Chelski or Manure, but if they spend 16 million on a fullback as an example, getting ours on bosman says it all.

Wake up and smell the coffee!
Until the ownership=investment is sorted out expect second fiddle in the league or be majorly dissappointed.

And the excuses that if only not for the draws we would had done so much better is just that, poor excuses.
Then Manure could go on about if only they didn't loose vs City twice, dropped points vs Reading at home etc.
In the end we ended 4th and that is where deserved to be when all things are said and done with the squad we have.

I will bide my time and hope the ownership situation gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

To even start talking about sacking the manager, ignoring what has happened that past year and a half, recks of ignorance. Who could do a better job right now??
Please let me know cause I don't think I know a magician.

And for now isn't it time to realize it isn't a forgone conclusion
DIC will spend 4 times as much on the club as they could have done just about a year ago? ???
Unless the pile of dirt decides to lower their demands DIC will not save us. Not because they hate us or don't want us, but beacuse their heads are screwed on the right way.

DIC aren't swine because they fail to pay a billion for the club and not care of what kind of effect that will have on their other businesses.
All blame goes to the previous owners who have/had no clue about the world around them!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 26, 2008 2:38 pm

RICK PARRY today threw down the gauntlet to everyone at Anfield by insisting Liverpool must challenge for the Premier League title next season.

Describing the league as “a priority”, the Reds chief executive underlined the desire of everyone at the club to be crowned the best in the land for the first time since 1990.

With north west rivals Manchester United now just one league title behind, Liverpool know they have a fight on their hands if they are to maintain their record of being the most successful English club in domestic competition.

And with the momentum with United, who have won the league ten times in the last 15 years, Parry knows Liverpool will have to build on last season – when they reduced the points gap between themselves and Alex Ferguson's side to a more respectable 11 points – if they are to stand any chance of taking the Premier League crown.

He said: "We have to look back, learn and build for next season when the Premier League title will again be a priority target.

"We said back in February that despite the off field issues we needed to focus on a busy and important game schedule.

"The players did this and we qualified for next season's Champions League with games to spare.

"As ever, we now begin to concentrate on further improving the squad for next year. We have to be real contenders.

"The points gap has narrowed but it's still not enough.

"We have the nucleus of a very good team and now we must build on that during the summer break."

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 26, 2008 2:41 pm

full of :censored:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redsince2001 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:48 pm

he needs to be given atleast 3-4 seasons at the helm ......
you can't expect anyone to perform with these two idiots running the club :angry: :angry: :angry:
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Seems ironic that Parry is saying we must challenge for the title while Rafa is playing down our chances. Backroom and Manager in perfect harmony as usual :D

Rafa Benitez plays down talk of Liverpool winning the Premier League
May 26 2008

Rafa Benitez

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has played down his side’s chances of winning the Premier League next season, describing the title as “an option”.

The Reds finished fourth in the season just ended, 11 points behind champions Manchester United.

Their last league title came back in 1990 but Benitez did not sound overly confident of ending that depressing streak in 2008/2009.

“It is an option, for sure,” he told the club’s website, www.liverpoolfc.tv.

“We know our weaknesses and our strengths. We know where we need to improve, so we’ll try to build a new team looking at these things.

“It’s more difficult than in Spain because the top sides spend big, big money. We will try to do our best and the key for me is to not talk about the title.

“The key is to be near the top, to be contenders. If we stay close then I think we are capable of doing it.

“It’s more difficult because after two years of Chelsea winning the league and spending big money, United needed to do the same.

“They started spending big money and Arsenal were also spending big money on young players. We are trying to do the same but because they (Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal) are continuing to spend big money, it makes it more difficult to catch up.

“You also see Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton spending money and having strong teams. It’s not easy to be in the top four and be contenders but because we have a young squad we can try again.”

Postby Sabre » Mon May 26, 2008 3:05 pm

My feeling is that it is absolutely impossible for us to win the Premiership next season, regardless of who is the manager. That's not because we are outgunned financially, there have been  dodgy emails in Texas or any of that nonsense, it's simply because we are coming from too far back

This is not for the sake of discussing, but for the sake of cheering you up.

Last season you asked repeatedly, and this season again the following question "Are we good enough?" and you defended something in the lines we do have a squad to challenge for the title.

I want you to remember aswell the discussions of a couple of years ago, when Chelsea won their second league in a row: I don't remember anyone predicting that Manchester could cut that gap next season. But they did.

IMHO, winning a league is a matter of subtle things. Losing Ronaldo might be a huge difference for them even if they get Robinho, Ramos and 50M in the process. Us getting right the wing signing ups in our team can make that difference too. Arsenal might have a deeper squad next season if their important players don't flee to Spain (Fabregas, Hleb). How those little details are managed and what decissions are taken are what will decide next season. I don't think it's the Everest mountain. For any of the top four teams anyway, what you say could apply to other teams.

Yes, I know I'm too happy clappy, but this time you were too pessimistic Mick!
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 26, 2008 3:35 pm

s@int wrote:RICK PARRY today threw down the gauntlet to everyone at Anfield by insisting Liverpool must challenge for the Premier League title next season.

Describing the league as “a priority”, the Reds chief executive underlined the desire of everyone at the club to be crowned the best in the land for the first time since 1990.

With north west rivals Manchester United now just one league title behind, Liverpool know they have a fight on their hands if they are to maintain their record of being the most successful English club in domestic competition.

And with the momentum with United, who have won the league ten times in the last 15 years, Parry knows Liverpool will have to build on last season – when they reduced the points gap between themselves and Alex Ferguson's side to a more respectable 11 points – if they are to stand any chance of taking the Premier League crown.

He said: "We have to look back, learn and build for next season when the Premier League title will again be a priority target.

"We said back in February that despite the off field issues we needed to focus on a busy and important game schedule.

"The players did this and we qualified for next season's Champions League with games to spare.

"As ever, we now begin to concentrate on further improving the squad for next year. We have to be real contenders.

"The points gap has narrowed but it's still not enough.

"We have the nucleus of a very good team and now we must build on that during the summer break."

Ive just read that in the Echo and i think hes got a :censored: nerve even opening his mouth . Throwing down the gauntlet who the hell does he think he is . His first priority before he hands in his resignation should be getting rid of tweedle dum an dee. He is the one who got us into this mess in the first place. IMO i think hes got a cheek

I knew it wouldnt be long before Gillettes stooge opened his mouth . Concentrate on getting funds from them gobshi.tes and Raffa will take care of the rest

Scumbag
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:45 pm

s@int wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Better get him out of here sharpish then.

No rush, you need to be more patient,  lets give him his last chance first, you never know DIC may come to his and our rescue yet.

Yes, let's.
LFC2007

Postby OneHotRed » Mon May 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Although I love Rafa, even if I sometimes raise my eyebrows at some of the silly decision and tactics he uses, he is NEVER going to challenge for any title what-so-ever if he isnt given the backing he needs and deserves.

A lot of people slag him off for buying second rate players, if he's been backed and was allowed to do the things he wants, WHEN he wants, we could have been challenging a long time ago with him.

Before we even think about challenging for the league we need to get the :censored: out of the backrooms first and foremost, this is what is knacking us up :(
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon May 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Sabre wrote:
My feeling is that it is absolutely impossible for us to win the Premiership next season, regardless of who is the manager. That's not because we are outgunned financially, there have been  dodgy emails in Texas or any of that nonsense, it's simply because we are coming from too far back

This is not for the sake of discussing, but for the sake of cheering you up.

Last season you asked repeatedly, and this season again the following question "Are we good enough?" and you defended something in the lines we do have a squad to challenge for the title.

I want you to remember aswell the discussions of a couple of years ago, when Chelsea won their second league in a row: I don't remember anyone predicting that Manchester could cut that gap next season. But they did.

IMHO, winning a league is a matter of subtle things. Losing Ronaldo might be a huge difference for them even if they get Robinho, Ramos and 50M in the process. Us getting right the wing signing ups in our team can make that difference too. Arsenal might have a deeper squad next season if their important players don't flee to Spain (Fabregas, Hleb). How those little details are managed and what decissions are taken are what will decide next season. I don't think it's the Everest mountain. For any of the top four teams anyway, what you say could apply to other teams.

Yes, I know I'm too happy clappy, but this time you were too pessimistic Mick!

Good post there, Sabre. Was going to write a similar one, but you already said what I was pretty much going to.

Edit - just noticed OneHotRed's gif of JT there. Is it really necessary to have that on a Liverpool board of all places. As much as I think JT is a w@nker, I hate the sight of seeing him missing that pen as it means one inch to the left and the W@nks lose. I'd have much preferred Chelsea to have won. First time I'd seen that pen by the way. It's horrific to watch.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Mon May 26, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:02 pm

yeah change the gif i hate it too........ !
sorry .
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion