How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 am

Last Chance?

You better believe it.....
ConnO'var

Postby Rush Job » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 am

bigmick wrote:Well we're currently joint top, which isn't too bad surely?  If somebody had said to you before the season started that we'd get seven points out of nine, from two away games and one home game and be joint top, then I think most would have thought that was pretty good. If theyd've also stuck in the provisio that we were going to play absolutely sh!t in all three matches but still be joint top, as well as playing absolutely sh!t in the Cahmpions League qualifier but still go through without conceding a goal, you'd surely be rubbing your hands together.

If they told you Keane wouldn't have settled in anyway shape or form after five matches, you'd know there was plenty of improvement to come because we absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a very good player (regardless of anybodies feelings visa vis his valuation). Similaly, if they told you that in those five matches, Torres would score only once you'd definately expect him to improve on that. What about Gerrard tho? Well, they'd tell you that in those five matches Gerrard had reached nowhere near his potential, Masherano had only played one game and Agger was still not really ready, all would be good with the World.

As anybody who has read my posts will know, I'm no happy-clappier or "in Rafa I trust"er but all things considered, it's a pretty fantastic start when you look at it. It would have been nice to have won today, but we didn't. So far, Man Utd had a worse result than todays at Home against Newcastle, while Arsenal had a worse result than todays Away at Fulham. Chelsea's Home draw with Tottenham was about equal to todays I would say.

My only concern is a little bit of "tinkerism" and styling just creeping around the edges both with selection and substitutions, (although of course it's nowhere near the ridiculousness of the previous four seasons), and what appears to have been a lack of ambition today. Games such as today are there for the winning, and I hope we aren't going to mirror last season when some were still championing the fact we were unbeaten long after the league leaders had disappeared over the horizon. If you go all out for the win in games such as today and are only successful 50% of the time, even losing the other 50% you are still better off than if you draw all of them and don't lose any. Lets not die wondering this season, if we're gonna go down let's go down swinging.

Thank fook for the voice of reason. :D
Your in the club now Mick whether you like it or not, its not all bad mate being happy and clapping alot is actually quite fun. :D
Better than the moaning g!t squad anyway, we have backgammon on Mondays and we pray to our lord Rafa twice daily followed by 20 minutes of clapping.
Your T shirt and mug is in the post.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:05 am

Effes wrote:
Bermenstein wrote:well imo we must beat Man Ure on 16th sept @ anfield.
This will be a serious test for Rafa. If they beat us again at home, well then that endorses the fact that we have not moved on under Rafa's rule.

Rafa MUST NOT LOOSE to the scum. Beat them, then we can move on with confidence.

Saturday, 13 September 2008
Barclays Premier League
Liverpool v Man Utd, 12:45

IF we do beat Man U then it can be deemed a great start (results-wise)

However, under Rafa we have never even scored against them (except for an O'Shea o.g)

Crouch scored against them when we beat them in the cup, so that's not true.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:06 am

FYI, folks...I've merged the original "Rafa's Last Chance" thread with the "How Long Has He Got?" thread that popped up today.  Unfortunately, I got the merge going in the wrong direction such that the new thread's title has replaced the old one.  Apologies to Saint, who started the original thread.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:14 am

Bad Bob wrote:FYI, folks...I've merged the original "Rafa's Last Chance" thread with the "How Long Has He Got?" thread that popped up today.  Unfortunately, I got the merge going in the wrong direction such that the new thread's title has replaced the old one.  Apologies to Saint, who started the original thread.

Ah oh Bob, s@int is going to kick your conkers in.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:15 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:
This will be a serious test for Rafa. If they beat us again at home, well then that endorses the fact that we have not moved on under Rafa's rule.

Rafa MUST NOT LOOSE to the scum. Beat them, then we can move on with confidence.

Barclays Premier League

However, under Rafa we have never even scored against them (except for an O'Shea o.g)

True... but in the league....

If we include that Crouch goal, that'll be 1 LFC player under Rafa to score
against Man U in 9 matches?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:25 am

I missed the match yesterday but saw it on my Sky +, It was so :censored: boring that in the end I watched it at X2 speed and there were very few times that I switched it to normal speed!
Everyone knows my position on Rafa, I don't like him and I haven't for a long time but I was willing to give him a chance but his signings including assistants etc has been a complete joke this transfer season. We now have have Sammy Lee who proved to the world that he has zero football knowledge at Bolton and is a total yes man to Rafa and we have 2 defenders who are :censored:, did Dossena successfully complete any passes?
Also what the hell is the deal with playing strikers as wingers, that kind of cr8p might work on Fifa 2009 but not in the real world.
Why the hell pay £20 million for a striker and put him on the wing, and then when you have to replace Torres you replace him with Ngog instead of bringing on Babel and moving Keane to the striker position, where is the genius in that? again can I have a happy clapper explain it to me because I'm baffled.
My major criticism though is that almost every Liverpool game I see these days is such sh1t quality that it bores me too tears and I am genuinely worried that Manure are going to tear us a new one next weekend and humiliate us again!

I think it is probably too soon to replace Rafa but I expect this is a new season down the drain, and yes I know we are joint top but if we play this way then we won't remain there for long!
heimdall

Postby Rush Job » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 am

heimdall wrote:I missed the match yesterday but saw it on my Sky +, It was so :censored: boring that in the end I watched it at X2 speed and there were very few times that I switched it to normal speed!
Everyone knows my position on Rafa, I don't like him and I haven't for a long time but I was willing to give him a chance but his signings including assistants etc has been a complete joke this transfer season. We now have have Sammy Lee who proved to the world that he has zero football knowledge at Bolton and is a total yes man to Rafa and we have 2 defenders who are :censored:, did Dossena successfully complete any passes?
Also what the hell is the deal with playing strikers as wingers, that kind of cr8p might work on Fifa 2009 but not in the real world.
Why the hell pay £20 million for a striker and put him on the wing, and then when you have to replace Torres you replace him with Ngog instead of bringing on Babel and moving Keane to the striker position, where is the genius in that? again can I have a happy clapper explain it to me because I'm baffled.
My major criticism though is that almost every Liverpool game I see these days is such sh1t quality that it bores me too tears and I am genuinely worried that Manure are going to tear us a new one next weekend and humiliate us again!

I think it is probably too soon to replace Rafa but I expect this is a new season down the drain, and yes I know we are joint top but if we play this way then we won't remain there for long!

Thanks for the contribution.
Whats this place going to be like when we lose.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:33 am

Bad Bob wrote:FYI, folks...I've merged the original "Rafa's Last Chance" thread with the "How Long Has He Got?" thread that popped up today.  Unfortunately, I got the merge going in the wrong direction such that the new thread's title has replaced the old one.  Apologies to Saint, who started the original thread.

No need to apologise mate, it might just reduce the amount of abuse I get...... then again....... probably not  :D

Back on topic, I think Rafa should be given the rest of the season, a strong title challenge combined with a good CL run should be enough to earn him another season. Fourth place with no challenge and no cup and I would be looking for a replacement.

Assessing his use of the transfer market this summer would certainly have added to the doubts, depending on where you place most of the blame.
account deleted by request

Postby heimdall » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:42 am

Rush Job wrote:
heimdall wrote:I missed the match yesterday but saw it on my Sky +, It was so :censored: boring that in the end I watched it at X2 speed and there were very few times that I switched it to normal speed!

To be honest with you I felt like we did loose. My contribution is just as valid as any rose tinted happy clapper, and I could say that same about he way you guys go over the top every time we beat a team of the calibre of Standard Liege  :D
heimdall

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:18 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:

Barclays Premier League

I think as for this match Rafa will name the line-up and tell his team ... "let NOT lose this match" Torres will play up-front alone and everyone play in defends.....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Rush Job » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:32 am

heimdall wrote:
Rush Job wrote:

To be honest with you I felt like we did loose. My contribution is just as valid as any rose tinted happy clapper, and I could say that same about he way you guys go over the top every time we beat a team of the calibre of Standard Liege  :D

If you can find a post where ive gone "over the top" about a avarage performance, or a post where ive stated Rafa is a tactical genius for that matter i`ll dig out hundreds where youve been overly negative.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:42 am

Rafa is one of the best young managers but if he keeping playing like the one vs Aston Villa, he might get "sack".

We have a team that capable to win every match, comfortable win but NOT struggle win. If we are HULL City, Fulham or Sunderland and we manage to beat Middlesbrough (2:1) at home and Draw away at (0:0) Aston Villa, that is good. But we are LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB, we should beat Middlesbrough comfortable maybe 3 goal or more, we should beat Standard Liege ( By right it should be walk in the park for us !! ) in the 1st leg of the match and we should beat Aston Villa at least with 1 goal or more. We are Liverpool , we have "standard to meet" and I must admit that, that "standard" have "drop few miles".

If we going to replace him , there are two managers that I think will make full use of the current team correctly, play the player at the right position (maybe buy 1 or two in the future).

1) Guus Hiddink ( old school )
2) Slaven Bilić ( Young good manager )
LiverpoolMadman

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:48 am

heimdall wrote:
Rush Job wrote:

I can't say I have ever thought of Rush Job being a "happy clapper" Heimdall, I think he is a positive poster but realistic more than happy clapper. Although I suppose from your "doom and gloom" position anyone not ringing a bell and shouting bring out your dead is " happy clapper"
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:56 am

With the chaos the club is in there is no way the Twit & Tw@t are gonna sack Rafa even if the fans want them too!

No new stadium, ownership issues AND sack the manager???   Even Brookie never came up with scripts like that.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion