How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:14 pm

It doesnt do anyone any good to sack a manager midway through the season. Plus there isnt anyone good at the moment. The only option would have been Mourinho but he will surley be at Inter for at least 2 years.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:16 pm

So do you think he should be sacked stu ? Serious question.

This is the only way we're going to win the league i think. We can't hang around for the next 5 years and keep saying he will turn it around etc. etc.

The board are and will be reluctant however as he has and will, although not the big one, win us cups.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:16 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Sack him tomorrow.

Get Alladyce in.

Rafa's the gaffa and can do no wrong. Completely faultless, the man, we should all back him when he's replacing attackers with defenders and midfielders when we're losing.

We should all back him playing players out of position EVERY :censored: WEEK!

His signings are world class! Yay Rafa!

Im not speaking for Stu but I think he would say yes.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:18 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Gerrard30391 wrote:I give Rafa until Christmas and if we aren't CHALLENGING then, if i was the chairman, i'd tell him too find the door. I stand to be corrected if i'm wrong, but the most wanted event by all Liverpool fans this year is CHALLENGING for the league?

Of course we are technically challenging right now aren't we? :D

:nod Yes we are and long may it continue. :;):
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 pm

bavlondon wrote:It doesnt do anyone any good to sack a manager midway through the season. Plus there isnt anyone good at the moment. The only option would have been Mourinho but he will surley be at Inter for at least 2 years.

So were gonna be stuck in fourth spot for the next 2 years?
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:20 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:

Get Alladyce in.

Rafa's the gaffa and can do no wrong. Completely faultless, the man, we should all back him when he's replacing attackers with defenders and midfielders when we're losing.

What right now ,after 3 league games.?
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Gerrard30391 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:It doesnt do anyone any good to sack a manager midway through the season. Plus there isnt anyone good at the moment. The only option would have been Mourinho but he will surley be at Inter for at least 2 years.

So were gonna be stuck in fourth spot for the next 2 years?

Maybe not that bad - there could be a 3rd in there sometime  :D

But we'll have some good Champs League runs.

I'm afraid that's all we'll get off Rafa.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 pm

Well we're currently joint top, which isn't too bad surely?  If somebody had said to you before the season started that we'd get seven points out of nine, from two away games and one home game and be joint top, then I think most would have thought that was pretty good. If theyd've also stuck in the provisio that we were going to play absolutely sh!t in all three matches but still be joint top, as well as playing absolutely sh!t in the Cahmpions League qualifier but still go through without conceding a goal, you'd surely be rubbing your hands together.

If they told you Keane wouldn't have settled in anyway shape or form after five matches, you'd know there was plenty of improvement to come because we absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a very good player (regardless of anybodies feelings visa vis his valuation). Similaly, if they told you that in those five matches, Torres would score only once you'd definately expect him to improve on that. What about Gerrard tho? Well, they'd tell you that in those five matches Gerrard had reached nowhere near his potential, Masherano had only played one game and Agger was still not really ready, all would be good with the World.

As anybody who has read my posts will know, I'm no happy-clappier or "in Rafa I trust"er but all things considered, it's a pretty fantastic start when you look at it. It would have been nice to have won today, but we didn't. So far, Man Utd had a worse result than todays at Home against Newcastle, while Arsenal had a worse result than todays Away at Fulham. Chelsea's Home draw with Tottenham was about equal to todays I would say.

My only concern is a little bit of "tinkerism" and styling just creeping around the edges both with selection and substitutions, (although of course it's nowhere near the ridiculousness of the previous four seasons), and what appears to have been a lack of ambition today. Games such as today are there for the winning, and I hope we aren't going to mirror last season when some were still championing the fact we were unbeaten long after the league leaders had disappeared over the horizon. If you go all out for the win in games such as today and are only successful 50% of the time, even losing the other 50% you are still better off than if you draw all of them and don't lose any. Lets not die wondering this season, if we're gonna go down let's go down swinging.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:36 pm

As anybody who has read my posts will know, I'm no happy-clappier or "in Rafa I trust"er but all things considered, it's a pretty fantastic start when you look at it. It would have been nice to have won today, but we didn't. So far, Man Utd had a worse result than todays at Home against Newcastle, while Arsenal had a worse result than todays Away at Fulham. Chelsea's Home draw with Tottenham was about equal to todays I would say.

Totally agree, it certainly could be worse.

Regarding the term "Happy Clapper", isnt that an infected Gigolo ??
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:36 pm

bigmick wrote:My only concern is a little bit of "tinkerism" and styling just creeping around the edges both with selection and substitutions, (although of course it's nowhere near the ridiculousness of the previous four seasons), and what appears to have been a lack of ambition today. Games such as today are there for the winning, and I hope we aren't going to mirror last season when some were still championing the fact we were unbeaten long after the league leaders had disappeared over the horizon. If you go all out for the win in games such as today and are only successful 50% of the time, even losing the other 50% you are still better off than if you draw all of them and don't lose any. Lets not die wondering this season, if we're gonna go down let's go down swinging.

Mick, I agree.

But you could be posting this every season under Rafa.

He will not change

I'm not angry about today's result, just dissapointed about formation/team, substitutions
and the "attitude" of manger/players.
Last edited by Effes on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:

Get Alladyce in.

But he wouldn't be sacked on these three games would he. He'd be sacked on performance and previous.
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 pm

He will not change

Effes that is the main four words of the whole argument over Rafa's future
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:

Get Alladyce in.

Its not three league games though is Andy.

Its :censored: years of :censored: signings, bad decisions, bad players.

This teams going backwards mate, not forward.

A few seasons ago we were genuinely two players away, we had a very strong side with tremendous ability, we just lacked the "options" the :censored: nugget goes on about and a bit of depth.

We've now got Arbeloa who's a completely average full back. Skertyl who's blatently got a mistake in him every match and is an accident waiting to happen, Agger who's so overated by our own fans its a joke. A past it Sami Hyypia. We've got an injury prone left back and another who is worse defensively than Vladimir Smicer.

We've then got Kuyt, a fairly decent at very best forward trying to play right wing every week where he looks painfully out of his depth. We've got Lucas, who's quite simply a joke of a player and Bennayoun who doesn't know a wide position if it bit him on the :censored:... Then theres Babel, don't get me started on that pile of :censored:.

Voronin... yeah, great.

We're STILL getting carried by two players lad as proved AGAIN today.

Its not good enough lad. Simple as that.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Gerrard30391 wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:

Get Alladyce in.

But he wouldn't be sacked on these three games would he. He'd be sacked on performance and previous.

What one champions league win , two champions league finals,one FA cup win ,one league cup final , Semi's of the champions league last year. Qualification for the chapmions league every year he's been here . Do you mean that previous? Bit ott ,to sack him now don't you think?
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:07 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:

Get Alladyce in.

Its not three league games though is Andy.

Its :censored: years of :censored: signings, bad decisions, bad players.

This teams going backwards mate, not forward.

A few seasons ago we were genuinely two players away, we had a very strong side with tremendous ability, we just lacked the "options" the :censored: nugget goes on about and a bit of depth.

We've now got Arbeloa who's a completely average full back. Skertyl who's blatently got a mistake in him every match and is an accident waiting to happen, Agger who's so overated by our own fans its a joke. A past it Sami Hyypia. We've got an injury prone left back and another who is worse defensively than Vladimir Smicer.

We've then got Kuyt, a fairly decent at very best forward trying to play right wing every week where he looks painfully out of his depth. We've got Lucas, who's quite simply a joke of a player and Bennayoun who doesn't know a wide position if it bit him on the :censored:... Then theres Babel, don't get me started on that pile of :censored:.

Voronin... yeah, great.

We're STILL getting carried by two players lad as proved AGAIN today.

Its not good enough lad. Simple as that.

Yes mate , but would you sack him now?
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion