How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sun May 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
There's no evidence that Grant was a good manager. He just got lucky against us in the CL.

And equally there is no evidence he is a bad one.

Thats bollo.x, especially bout the lucky thing against us. Well yes Riise Og was lucky, but unlike Mouriniho and Rafa himself, he didnt try toover complecate things and make weird tacical decisisons as Mouriniho did in the past. He kept it simple and beat us, simple.

Get it right: he, or they, didn't beat us. We beat us with our own mistakes (and an extra minute of ET that didn't exist). They were lucky. End of.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
bigmick wrote:Here's a question. If Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea had started with Dirk Kuyt up top in their first twenty odd league games do you think they would have got as many points as they did? No, neither do I.

No. But who else would you have played?

Torres, Crouch or Babel.

presuming your talking abou pre Torres and Babel, even though Kuyt still played many games upfront at the begining of the season.

I would of said play Crouch more than he did, at least he knew where the onion bag was.

Its not just the problem of himbuying Kuyt for 10 million and geting a sh.it return in goals, its the fact he persisted with him for a season and a half upfront with no end product.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Grant did exceed my expectations, but it probably adds more weight to the view that even he could put in a challenge on several fronts with such a level of quality at his disposal.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
There's no evidence that Grant was a good manager. He just got lucky against us in the CL.

Thats bollo.x, especially bout the lucky thing against us. Well yes Riise Og was lucky, but unlike Mouriniho and Rafa himself, he didnt try toover complecate things and make weird tacical decisisons as Mouriniho did in the past. He kept it simple and beat us, simple.

Get it right: he, or they, didn't beat us. We beat us with our own mistakes (and an extra minute of ET that didn't exist). They were lucky. End of.

He and his team beat us 3-2 at the bridge, dress it up ith luck, but thats burying your head in the sand.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Its not just the problem of himbuying Kuyt for 10 million and geting a sh.it return in goals, its the fact he persisted with him for a season and a half upfront with no end product.

If you mean last season, his league goal ratio I believe was near enough equal to Rooney's.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:32 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Cue answer: "Crouch, and with it an ability to challenge for the title".

Cue: Who signed Crouch with 'his ability to win the title', and Kuyt who coulkdnt hit a cows ar.se with a banjo, and Voronin.
66-1112520797

Postby Emerald Red » Sun May 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
bigmick wrote:Here's a question. If Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea had started with Dirk Kuyt up top in their first twenty odd league games do you think they would have got as many points as they did? No, neither do I.

No. But who else would you have played?

Torres, Crouch or Babel.

presuming your talking abou pre Torres and Babel, even though Kuyt still played many games upfront at the begining of the season.

I would of said play Crouch more than he did, at least he knew where the onion bag was.

Its not just the problem of himbuying Kuyt for 10 million and geting a sh.it return in goals, its the fact he persisted with him for a season and a half upfront with no end product.

With the new system? Crouch on the right? Would never work.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Cue answer: "Crouch, and with it an ability to challenge for the title".

Cue: Who signed Crouch with 'his ability to win the title', and Kuyt who coulkdnt hit a cows ar.se with a banjo, and Voronin.

Que sera
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm

You could say we lost a bit of value to the first team in losing Garcia, in fact I'd argue that bit creativity he provided is something we've lacked this season.

Surely thats a mistake by Rafa preferring Benayoun ? If it wasn't down to Garcia wanting to go?

Sissoko was exceptional in his first season (who knows if he'd have regained form? His form at Juve by all accounts is pretty good)

But Rafa wasn't giving him the chance to play regularly was he ? Masch and Gerrard, Masch and Lucas and later Masch and Alonso was his preferred choices. Sissoko left for first team football which didn't appear to be an option with us. The fact that since playing regularly again he has rediscovered his form is perhaps further damnation of Rafa's handling of players?

Bellamy was decent at times, as was Cisse. More potent than Kuyt and Voronin? I'd say so, overall potential effect on season?

So again it was a mistake by Rafa in replacing them with poorer quality....... and Babel?

We had to sell players who were of reasonable playing value in order to sanction deals to sign other players.

We had to sell players who had been replaced by supposedly better players ...... as do ALL CLUBS. If we didn't we would have a very large squad!
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Its not just the problem of himbuying Kuyt for 10 million and geting a sh.it return in goals, its the fact he persisted with him for a season and a half upfront with no end product.

If you mean last season, his league goal ratio I believe was near enough equal to Rooney's.

Yeah s.hit.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Yeah s.hit.

Cracking analysis.
LFC2007

Postby Emerald Red » Sun May 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

He and his team beat us 3-2 at the bridge, dress it up ith luck, but thats burying your head in the sand.

How the f*ck is that burying my head in the sand? Fact is this: we should have won by at least 3 or 4 at Anfield, and likewise at the Bridge. They went through by a overly late OG and a pen (which we should have had also). How the f*ck is that not lucky? The better team lost for a fact.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it, so that's the last I'll write about it.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:43 pm

s@int wrote:
You could say we lost a bit of value to the first team in losing Garcia, in fact I'd argue that bit creativity he provided is something we've lacked this season.

1) Surely thats a mistake by Rafa preferring Benayoun ? If it wasn't down to Garcia wanting to go?

Sissoko was exceptional in his first season (who knows if he'd have regained form? His form at Juve by all accounts is pretty good)

2) But Rafa wasn't giving him the chance to play regularly was he ? Masch and Gerrard, Masch and Lucas and later Masch and Alonso was his preferred choices. Sissoko left for first team football which didn't appear to be an option with us. The fact that since playing regularly again he has rediscovered his form is perhaps further damnation of Rafa's handling of players?

Bellamy was decent at times, as was Cisse. More potent than Kuyt and Voronin? I'd say so, overall potential effect on season?

3) So again it was a mistake by Rafa in replacing them with poorer quality....... and Babel?

We had to sell players who were of reasonable playing value in order to sanction deals to sign other players.

4) We had to sell players who had been replaced by supposedly better players ...... as do ALL CLUBS. If we didn't we would have a very large squad!

1) It was part of the Torres deal, I believe, perhaps that was a necessity in order to sanction the deal?

2) Because Mascherano's form was excellent, and Sissoko's was very poor at that time. His opportunity to play at Juventus isn't being inhibited by the form of top class midfielders.

3) With hindsight, it's very comfy to judge. Kuyt's goal ratio was pretty good in his first season, indeed, esteemed poster Bigmick, and others thought he'd be a 'legend'. Voronin, a poor signing. Every manager has them.

4) We had to sell in order to buy, therefore placing an immediate contraint on our ability to spend in the transfer window. Not every club has that, just ask Chelsea, Man U, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm

The mancs sold Beckham , sold Van Nistelroy . Chelsea sold Gallas, Duff and Robben, all players that would walk into our team at the time they were sold. When have we had to sell a player that would get in one of their teams?

Up to now we have never been a selling club, we don't sell good players. Maybe things will change this season, but up to now we have only sold players when we thought we had better, or they wanted to go. So to use the fact that along with every other club we have to sell players who have been or are going to be replaced as a reason for our current problems is a little misleading.

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 pm

1) It was part of the Torres deal, I believe, perhaps that was a necessity in order to sanction the deal?

Two seperate deals as far as I am aware, Garcia was infact sold before we bought Torres. The point being that Garcia wanted to go.

2) Because Mascherano's form was excellent, and Sissoko's was very poor at that time. His opportunity to play at Juventus isn't being inhibited by the form of top class midfielders.

So infact there would have been no point keeping Sissoko if he couldn't play without being inhibited by the form of our top class midfielders?

3) With hindsight, it's very comfy to judge. Kuyt's goal ratio was pretty good in his first season, indeed, esteemed poster Bigmick, and others thought he'd be a 'legend'. Voronin, a poor signing. Every manager has them.

The only way you can judge a managers success or failure in the transfer market is with hindsight ?

We had to sell in order to buy, therefore placing an immediate contraint on our ability to spend in the transfer window. Not every club has that, just ask Chelsea, Man U, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan.

All clubs have to work within the limits of their budget (even Chelsea will have a budget however loosely structured) Most clubs have to sell good players......  we are one of the few clubs that don't sell our stars. (unless they ask to go)

(Milan) Shevchenko (Madrid) Makelele,(Barca)Figo, (Inter) Zidane, I have already mentioned cHELSEA AND THE MANCS etc etc
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion