How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 pm

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:
Torres25 wrote:Last chace...................what 4?

2 take the title from teams that spend double the ammount we do?

some people r unbelievable

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa?

Last season Rafa spent £70million

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa

I think there are plenty of managers who could get us to 4th place without ever challenging for the title, whilst getting us knocked out of the FA CUP by Barnsley.

The only question is could they do as well as Rafa in Europe.

For me doing well in Europe whilst struggling in the league is no longer good enough. Either a title challenge or he should make way for someone who can !

The question is, who can do a better job than rafa right now?

Mourinho? I really doubt it.

I dont........he has done something Rafa has not.........won it
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I don't think it ought to be. People like to dismiss the spending power of our immediate rivals as though a minor inconvenience, when it's obvious to most people that it's much more important than that. It's not like we had a World-beating team when Rafa took over, which means that money is the most important factor.
I know there's many who thrive on beating Benitez with a stick, but you have to be realistic - the scum paid more for a Central Defender 6 years ago than we have ever paid for any player in our entire history. (If we wish to be pedantic, almost 5 times more than OUR record spend on a defender.)

Sh*tski are a different beast, in as much as they buy indiscriminately, and have been known to sign players merely to prevent them joining us. (SWP.)

How can people overlook such an important reason why we haven't landed number 19? I think many of them live in a dreamworld where we are still dominant. The fact is, we have achieved more than we should have under Rafa for the money we have spent. Look at the team which won the Champions' League. Quite peobably the cheapest side to EVER win the big one.

Cut the man some slack.

So that excuses the FACT that we have never even challenged. We may lag behind the mancs and Chelsea when it comes to spending, but I think you will find we leave the rest fkn standing. Yet mighty Wigan , Luton, Barnsley, Birmingham and Reading all got results against us. FFS we spent more last season than they have ever spent put together!

We spent more on ONE PLAYER than the whole Barnsley team.... didn't stop them beating us did it?

No-one is beating Rafa with a stick, but you have to be realistic, how much longer can we go on with the same sad excuses every season, even though its obvious to most that Rafa has also made poor decisions that have cost us points.

If Rafa is not good enough to overcome the differential in transfers, maybe we should be looking for someone who can.

He won the CL with a team mainly made up of Houllier players, does that mean that Houlliers team was better than Rafa's £150million poundsworth of buys?  :D

Its not all about money mate, as we have proven in the cups against those same sides.
account deleted by request

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:44 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
I cannot imagine a moment when Man Utd or Chelsea fans would find that acceptable and you only have too look what happended to Grant to see that second best just will not do these days but at Liverpool its ok lately.

Man Utd fans took it for a lot longer under Ferguson.

if Ferguson had just started out at man u today he would also only get 2 to 3 years to win it, that is what football is like today.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 8:45 pm

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:
Torres25 wrote:Last chace...................what 4?

2 take the title from teams that spend double the ammount we do?

some people r unbelievable

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa?

Last season Rafa spent £70million

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa

I think there are plenty of managers who could get us to 4th place without ever challenging for the title, whilst getting us knocked out of the FA CUP by Barnsley.

The only question is could they do as well as Rafa in Europe.

For me doing well in Europe whilst struggling in the league is no longer good enough. Either a title challenge or he should make way for someone who can !

The question is, who can do a better job than rafa right now?

Mourinho? I really doubt it.

Sabre doubted Torres could be a success in the prem - didn't make it right either did it Metalhead  :D

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:51 pm

lakes10 wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
I cannot imagine a moment when Man Utd or Chelsea fans would find that acceptable and you only have too look what happended to Grant to see that second best just will not do these days but at Liverpool its ok lately.

Man Utd fans took it for a lot longer under Ferguson.

if Ferguson had just started out at man u today he would also only get 2 to 3 years to win it, that is what football is like today.

Precisely, how foolish they'd have been to have sacked him after 2 to 3 years.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Sun May 25, 2008 8:51 pm

lakes, Mourinho inhereted an excellent team, then bought carvalho for 19m, who turned out to be top class and got drogba for 27m. Did rafa buy a defender for 19m? no

s@int, sabre always gets it wrong!!! JUST KIDDING SABRE  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:54 pm

saint was that 70 mill net, he had 2 get half of that back & thats the point utd & chelsea buy 20+ mill on players all the time & they dont have 2 get rid of half there squad 2 do it

Wo Mourinho won the title with Chelsea big deal he walked into a squad that finished 2nd in the league & got 2 the semis in europe & that was when most of the squad were gettin 2 know each other

then came in & spend over 200 mill in 2 years

wooooooooow hes amazing how did he ever do it
Torres25

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 9:00 pm

metalhead wrote:lakes, Mourinho inhereted an excellent team, then bought carvalho for 19m, who turned out to be top class and got drogba for 27m. Did rafa buy a defender for 19m? no

Would you have honestly expected Grant to get to the CL final, lose on penalties and run the mancs to the last game of the season in the league mate?

Maybe there are more good managers out there than you think?

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

s@int wrote:
metalhead wrote:lakes, Mourinho inhereted an excellent team, then bought carvalho for 19m, who turned out to be top class and got drogba for 27m. Did rafa buy a defender for 19m? no

Would you have honestly expected Grant to get to the CL final, lose on penalties and run the mancs to the last game of the season in the league mate?

:laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 pm

This current crop of players is good enough, make no mistakes about it. The squad needs a few quality additions, though to be deep enough. I say deep enough, not through the amount of players, but the quality of ones that can come in and do a job. People also forget that there were a few new additions to the team last year, and new additions need time to bed in. Some minor tweaking is all that is required to this team to get it firing us to the title, IMO. If anything thinks Rafa doesn't know what it takes to win us the title, then they are deluded. The spine of our team is better than any team in the league (yes, I said any). As s@int persists in reminding us, it's our wide areas that need fixing. Rafa has addressed that this is our main area that he needs to improve on. If we know it, then he does to. The key is finding at least two quality attacking players to overlap on our flanks. If Rafa amends this in the summer (not easy as it is hard to find these wide men) then there is no reason why we won't challenge, if not actually win it, and that's being as realistic as possible. We are good enough, just a little short.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Torres25 wrote:saint was that 70 mill net, he had 2 get half of that back & thats the point utd & chelsea buy 20+ mill on players all the time & they dont have 2 get rid of half there squad 2 do it

Wo Mourinho won the title with Chelsea big deal he walked into a squad that finished 2nd in the league & got 2 the semis in europe & that was when most of the squad were gettin 2 know each other

then came in & spend over 200 mill in 2 years

wooooooooow hes amazing how did he ever do it

Who did he sell that was any good ? Maybe Sissoko and Garcia would have got the odd game as for the rest they were all surplus to requirements and wouldn't have got a game anyway.

All this talk about net is so much cr@p, I could sell Gerrard and Torres tomorrow spend £100million on new players and could say that I had only spent £10million net! I would also have got rid of two important assets.

He spent £70million on new players and sold the dross. What more do you need to know?

Postby Emerald Red » Sun May 25, 2008 9:11 pm

s@int wrote:

There's no evidence that Grant was a good manager. He just got lucky against us in the CL. In fact I'd go as far as saying that he blew Chelsea's chances by lack of decisions in some situations in the league.

If anything, I just think this is proof that a team full of quality just picks itself and performs on it's own merit. Mourinho inherited a quality side built already. A good base and spine that was already there. He just had to tweak it in some areas, much like Rafa now has to do this summer as he's now got that spine sorted.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Fact is, having to sell before you buy affects your buying strategy.

Not only that, the players we've sold to provide funds for new signings have been of value to the squad.

Sissoko had value as a player, as did Garcia, as did Bellamy, as did Cisse.

These weren't nobodies, they weren't Diao's, Diouf's, Cheyrou's, who simply occupied the wage bill.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
s@int wrote:

There's no evidence that Grant was a good manager. He just got lucky against us in the CL. In fact I'd go as far as saying that he blew Chelsea's chances by lack of decisions in some situations in the league.

If anything, I just think this is proof that a team full of quality just picks itself and performs on it's own merit. Mourinho inherited a quality side built already. A good base and spine that was already there. He just had to tweak it in some areas, much like Rafa now has to do this summer as he's now got that spine sorted.

Using the same arguement Rafa just got lucky when he won the CL and that Rafa blew it in the league by making too many bad decisions?

If anything, I just think this is proof that a team full of quality just picks itself and performs on it's own merit.

So basically what you are saying is rather than waste money on a top manager we should sack Rafa bring in some cheap nobody and spend the money we save on better players ?  :D

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 9:33 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Fact is, having to sell before you buy affects your buying strategy.

Not only that, the players we've sold to provide funds for new signings have been of value to the squad.

Sissoko had value as a player, as did Garcia, as did Bellamy, as did Cisse.

These weren't nobodies, they weren't Diao's, Diouf's, Cheyrou's, who simply occupied the wage bill.

If Cisse was of so much use to us, why did we loan him out for a season before we sold him? Surely we should have been using him?

Bellamy was a liability and a player we should never have bought in the first place. The only real value was to sell him.

Neither would have got a game of any significance if they had stayed.

As far as I was aware Sissoko and Garcia both wanted to go as they couldn't get first team football.

Players leave all the time ...... sometimes even players that have some value to the team.

At the end of the day we spent £70million on new players, replacing in the main players that Rafa had brought to the club that wern't up to the job or didn't want to stay playing little or no part.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion