How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:02 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
lakes10 wrote:bloody hell, i saw the Topic and i said to myself " i have not started a thread today".

How did i know youd be the first one to respond. As soon as you see a Raffa out sign your like a fly round s.hit.

7 games dont be soft. Some of are bosmans will still be settling in. :laugh:

I choked on my drink when i read your bosmans bit.

:D  :D
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun May 25, 2008 7:05 pm

ive been having similar thoughts myself saint since the season ended, if after five years in charge we dont put up a challenge right to the end or even win it then questions need to be asked of the manager and whether he is upto the job, on saying that he needs to be backed in the summer just like im sure the other big clubs will be, if he isnt then its not his head that should roll.

i honestly feel we are so close to getting it right, my fear is the owners will be more interested in profit than glory
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Reg wrote:We need Ferguson.

u neeed shootin!!Im calling the sopranos! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun May 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Reg wrote:We need Ferguson.

u neeed shootin!!Im calling the sopranos! :nod

Yeh dont need to call them ill do it :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun May 25, 2008 7:19 pm

In some way I think Benitez has enjoyed a charmed life as Liverpool manager.

What is surprsing to me these days is how much Liverpool fans can endure and their loyalty to the manager. Its as though we just dont expect to be best anymore and for me its dissapointing.

There is a feeling of inveitabilty that we will finish 4th and we are almost happy now to cement that spot. I cannot imagine a moment when Man Utd or Chelsea fans would find that acceptable and you only have too look what happended to Grant to see that second best just will not do these days but at Liverpool its ok lately.

I understand we have big gap in budget to those top two teams but we must never stop trying to hit that top spot and the more we accept mediocraty the more of it we will be served. Benitez needs to know that finishing 4th is not good enough and if he does not win the thing he will face the consequence. These people are paid huge salaries and must deliver. Failure to win is not and option at Chelsea and it shouldnt be at Liverpool.

I for one am still not convinced that Rafa can do it but as big a task as it is he must make it work and sort our league form out next season. Frankly I a sick and tired of playing second fiddle to our fiercest rivals and if Benitez cannot halt their domination then we must find another alternative and try someone new to achieve our goal.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 pm

I cannot imagine a moment when Man Utd or Chelsea fans would find that acceptable and you only have too look what happended to Grant to see that second best just will not do these days but at Liverpool its ok lately.

Man Utd fans took it for a lot longer under Ferguson.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 pm

While most would agree the behind the scenes problems must have had some effect, even if not actually costing us points, certainly occupying some of the managers time and thoughts, I think the problems Grant coped with at Chelsea were equally bad. Players wanting to leave, being undermined by the owner etc etc. Yet Grant reached  2 finals and also challenged strongly for the title with a team that in no way outplayed us in 5 attempts.

As for transfer funds, I think we have sufficient surplus squad players to enable us to acquire the necessary funds to obtain the quality first team players we need. While that still leaves the big problem of Parry actually doing his job, I think with his future in question and his actions highlighted even Rick Parry may have to get his finger out.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:30 pm

I saw a quote from him on tele-text, where he said it would be his biggest achievement in football thus far, Obviously he's found the hustle and bustle of the prem a tough nut to crack.
66-1112520797

Postby Torres25 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Last chace...................what 4?

2 take the title from teams that spend double the ammount we do?

some people r unbelievable

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa?
Torres25

Postby metalhead » Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm

He has the potential to win it, no doubt about it, he has the qualities as a tactician and as a coach, but he needs to learn from his mistakes, and there I think I'll be patient about it.

Plus, with the board room troubles thats happening, I think we really need to be patient, because the likes of mancs and chelsea are spending 16 or 20m on top quality players, while we are trying to raise funds by selling players to at least buy one player worth 10m, so I guess we need to be patient.

Let this ownership troubles get solved, then we can concentrate on Benitez himself.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 25, 2008 8:18 pm

I don't think it ought to be. People like to dismiss the spending power of our immediate rivals as though a minor inconvenience, when it's obvious to most people that it's much more important than that. It's not like we had a World-beating team when Rafa took over, which means that money is the most important factor.
I know there's many who thrive on beating Benitez with a stick, but you have to be realistic - the scum paid more for a Central Defender 6 years ago than we have ever paid for any player in our entire history. (If we wish to be pedantic, almost 5 times more than OUR record spend on a defender.)

Sh*tski are a different beast, in as much as they buy indiscriminately, and have been known to sign players merely to prevent them joining us. (SWP.)

How can people overlook such an important reason why we haven't landed number 19? I think many of them live in a dreamworld where we are still dominant. The fact is, we have achieved more than we should have under Rafa for the money we have spent. Look at the team which won the Champions' League. Quite peobably the cheapest side to EVER win the big one.

Cut the man some slack.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun May 25, 2008 8:18 pm

At the end of the day rafa's hands are tied.....its our board and certain members of it (parry and the 2 cowboys) who shouldn't be given another chance, at the moment rafa reminds me of a certain "oliver twist character"....begging with his bowl for more!!.....if things dont change for the better and more funds are not realised, then we will be no better off than last season....i say fukk the new stadium and give rafa the funds so we can build a team worthy to grace a new ground. :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Torres25 wrote:Last chace...................what 4?

Last season Rafa spent £70million

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa

I think there are plenty of managers who could get us to 4th place without ever challenging for the title, whilst getting us knocked out of the FA CUP by Barnsley.

The only question is could they do as well as Rafa in Europe.

For me doing well in Europe whilst struggling in the league is no longer good enough. Either a title challenge or he should make way for someone who can !
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Sun May 25, 2008 8:22 pm

s@int wrote:
Torres25 wrote:Last chace...................what 4?

Last season Rafa spent £70million

whos gonna do a better job them Rafa

I think there are plenty of managers who could get us to 4th place without ever challenging for the title, whilst getting us knocked out of the FA CUP by Barnsley.

The only question is could they do as well as Rafa in Europe.

For me doing well in Europe whilst struggling in the league is no longer good enough. Either a title challenge or he should make way for someone who can !

The question is, who can do a better job than rafa right now?

Mourinho? I really doubt it.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 pm

These days in football it dosen't matter if you are a top manager or an average one?.......it all comes down to how much transfer money you get in order to buy the top class players that are needed to help win you those trophies. you can be a great manager with very little funds...or an average one with plenty to spend....which one of those do you think would win you trohies and bring success?. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion