How far away are we? - From a title winning squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Wot you talking about stevi is always played were it is best for the team but he does't have to be happy about it he turned down chelski to stay with us the club he loves i think stevi gets way to much stick when he has a bad game usally from the wing from them so called die hard red fans stevan gerrard is probley the best player we have ever had at this club maybe we should start treating him like that.
we never know wot we had untill it was gone That wot we were all saying when we lost Robbie,Owen,Macmanernan, lets not lose stevi as well
grayghost

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:48 pm

grayghost wrote:We need Stevi G back in the middle he played there the start of the season we had a bad spell that loses us the title we move him back in the middle and we start to break records again scoring goals and keeping clean sheets we move up the table maybe a late title challenge Momo comes back and stevi is thrown back on the wing again and we lose any chance of chanlegeing for 1st and 2nd

Thats's a complete load of rubbish mate

No one was complaining when Gerrard banged in 20+ goals from right midfield last season - player of the season and club top scorer playing right mid.

Despite that I think Gerrard can be excellent in the centre too.  I just think he's better on the right where he can roam where he wants and do damage.  Our problem this season with Gerrard is that he has been constantly been shifted position throughout the season - on the right one week, then in the middle, and even on the left for a few games.

No player is going to have their best season if they keep getting moved positions, even if that player is Steven Gerrard.

Blaming our recent run on Sissoko coming back into the fold is fu.cking pathetic.  There are several reasons but that's not one of them.

Why do people try and complicate our current situation?  Why?  We haven't scored enough goals simple as that, not one striker has hit 10 league goals, that's pathetic.  We've lacked wide midfielders yes, but show me one game this season, the game against Villa included, where our strikers didn't miss sitters that would have won us the game.  The service could be better, but it's still not bad.  The finishing is woeful.

So blame Sissoko, blame Pennant, blame Benitez or whoever else some of you want to blame, if you don't take your chances you don't win games and you sure as hell don't win titles.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:49 pm

grayghost wrote:Wot you talking about stevi is always played were it is best for the team but he does't have to be happy about it he turned down chelski to stay with us the club he loves i think stevi gets way to much stick when he has a bad game usally from the wing from them so called die hard red fans stevan gerrard is probley the best player we have ever had at this club maybe we should start treating him like that.
we never know wot we had untill it was gone That wot we were all saying when we lost Robbie,Owen,Macmanernan, lets not lose stevi as well

Ok, just playing devil's advocate here, but I wonder could Rafa be a bit more flexible in his rigid man managements skills, particularly with Gerrard?

He often comes across as a hugely insecure young man, despite his talent and acheivements, and he's made a few references to finding Rafa 'colder' than Houllier.

We all agree Gerrard's untouchable in terms of skill and technical ability, what problems he has come straight from the head.

He just generally looks unhappy most of the time. That's his demeanour. It's got jack sh#t to do with the position he's playing in. He never looked unhappy last season when he was playing out on the right and we were winning 11 league games on the spin.

This whole "Gerrard is unhappy on the right" is a load of tosh which is completely overhyped by the muppets in the press, particularly Sky imo.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Woa there mate am not blaming Momo he is one of are best players. If he is in the right game ushally under the cosh (eg Barcelona away) He has just as much right than anyone to play. but wot i am saying is if stevi thinks he is beeter in the middle (WHICH HE SO CLERLY THINKS SO) then no matter how many goals he scored last season how much the fans think he is beeter on the right ur the manager thinks it will benifit the team. You can't make a player happy when he so clerly is't on the right wing not when it's in his head and we all now how gerrard is afected mentaly (eg Cheski speculation 2 seasons on the trot) He is the one player who is world class get him at his best get him in the middle. but thats just my opinon.
grayghost

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:18 pm

grayghost wrote:ACE VENTURI I think your mistakin. In the world cup Tevez played on the wing through out the tornement. And it's not rearly about posistions it's about class. If a world class player is leaving your club then the fans want a world class replacment it may well be to early to call Tevez world class but the signs are there.

Which wing did Tevez play on, i thought maxi rodriguez played wide right, in ronaldo's position for united.

By the way mate i am not disputing tevez's ability just the fact he could play right wing.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:32 pm

i think they played three up front with Tevez crespo and save. with tevez drifting out wide and comeing in. Ronaldo does play on the wing but is so attacking he practicly plays as a forward. I think tevez would be able to slot in that posision easily.
grayghost

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:37 pm

grayghost wrote:Woa there mate am not blaming Momo he is one of are best players. If he is in the right game ushally under the cosh (eg Barcelona away) He has just as much right than anyone to play. but wot i am saying is if stevi thinks he is beeter in the middle (WHICH HE SO CLERLY THINKS SO) then no matter how many goals he scored last season how much the fans think he is beeter on the right ur the manager thinks it will benifit the team. You can't make a player happy when he so clerly is't on the right wing not when it's in his head and we all now how gerrard is afected mentaly (eg Cheski speculation 2 seasons on the trot) He is the one player who is world class get him at his best get him in the middle. but thats just my opinon.

Tell me this then, when the fu.ck is Gerrard happy?

Whether he plays on the right, the middle, up front or wherever he always looks miserable.  That's just the way he looks.  What evidence do we actually have that he's unhappy playing on the right??
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:46 pm

I see a lot of bickering going on here about things that in the end don't really speak volumes on the true problem and the true facts.

To sum this thread up, and to state a fact, when you look at the amount of goals conceided, we are on a par with the team currently at the top of the table; but when you consider the amount of goals they have scored compared to our tally, it's almost over double (I think). There in lies the only problem. We've controlled games - big games - and not got the rewards due to a lack of goals scored. Sort the strikers out, and we challenge and even win the league. Simple as that. There are NO major problems in out team here, and fingering out players like Aggar, Finnan, Sissoko, and even Alonso is pointless and too extreme. From what I see, if everyone's personal opinion on this thread equated to the overall problems of the team, we'd be bottom of the league and out of Europe by now. Fact is, our strikers are not good enough. Fowler should be shown the door, as should a few of our other so called attacking talent. We need an Henry, a Van Nistelrooy, a Ronaldo, etc etc! Not over the hill, or mediocricy. End of.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:48 pm

grayghost wrote:i think they played three up front with Tevez crespo and save. with tevez drifting out wide and comeing in. Ronaldo does play on the wing but is so attacking he practicly plays as a forward. I think tevez would be able to slot in that posision easily.

Seeing that LFC supporters hate divers, I am surprised you not labelling Tevez a cheat for the injustice at Blackburn over the weekend!!!. Id take Quaresma anyday over him.
club_Levis

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 pm

john craig wrote:Thats's a complete load of rubbish mate

No one was complaining when Gerrard banged in 20+ goals from right midfield last season - player of the season and club top scorer playing right mid.

Despite that I think Gerrard can be excellent in the centre too.  I just think he's better on the right where he can roam where he wants and do damage.  Our problem this season with Gerrard is that he has been constantly been shifted position throughout the season - on the right one week, then in the middle, and even on the left for a few games.

No player is going to have their best season if they keep getting moved positions, even if that player is Steven Gerrard.

Blaming our recent run on Sissoko coming back into the fold is fu.cking pathetic.  There are several reasons but that's not one of them.

Why do people try and complicate our current situation?  Why?  We haven't scored enough goals simple as that, not one striker has hit 10 league goals, that's pathetic.  We've lacked wide midfielders yes, but show me one game this season, the game against Villa included, where our strikers didn't miss sitters that would have won us the game.  The service could be better, but it's still not bad.  The finishing is woeful.

So blame Sissoko, blame Pennant, blame Benitez or whoever else some of you want to blame, if you don't take your chances you don't win games and you sure as hell don't win titles.

I agree with you on your statement john, also, if you can remember, when we had a right winger crisis last year, many fans did propose gerrard to play on the right. He did play on the right and was phenominal, this year our problem is our lack of goals, our lack of composure in front of the net, our strikers need to practice shooting a ball into the net, not out!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:50 pm

When he is running the game from the middle and wining games. And ya he does usally look unhappy but that never botherd the Mancs with Roy Kean gerrard is not the kind of player who whants to be everyones friend and favorite player he is the captain and he takes it serious when we lose he does't just forget like some players he hates to see Liverpool lose and if he thinksLiverpool could have won with him playing in the middle then he is gonna be unhappy just like any fan would and that's wot SG is a true fan lets not forget it.
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 pm

HA cheat he never gave the goal. And for all he new it was in. It happind a bit fast give him a break lets not call him a cheat when he has't shown that to be true
grayghost

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 pm

grayghost wrote:When he is running the game from the middle and wining games. And ya he does usally look unhappy but that never botherd the Mancs with Roy Kean gerrard is not the kind of player who whants to be everyones friend and favorite player he is the captain and he takes it serious when we lose he does't just forget like some players he hates to see Liverpool lose and if he thinksLiverpool could have won with him playing in the middle then he is gonna be unhappy just like any fan would and that's wot SG is a true fan lets not forget it.

bollox, he wasn't unhappy last year when he played on the right and he isn't unhappy either this year, he is and ofcourse all of the team are frustrated that we aren't scoring enough goals
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for the disscsion some good points to make us think even if we don't agree on some of them so lets just agree to disagree............... FOR NOW :D
grayghost

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Well the 'the season so far' thread has disappeared.... completely - (anyone know where it is?)

So the reply i had for that thread is now going in this thread: :p 

------

very good posts st mick and jonnymac. (as well as being worryingly true) edit:well they were - pity we can't read 'em

highlighted and back-up by facts like the game against villa - what was it? - 8 'defensive' -minded players on the team, and 3 attacking?

What Rafa should do (though its highly unlikely he would) is actually sit down with tapes of Utd chelsea and Arsenal and just look at their football. - See how attacking it is and consequently how they finish above us (nearly) every season.
As you've pointed out - See how many attacking players they have in their side - and they still manage to win many many games 3-0 and 4-1 with defences comparable to ours.

Defenders of the caliber of Carra and Hyypia/Agger shoudn't need TWO defensive midfielders infront of them. If Gerrard is our only attack-minded central midfielder then the way I see it is he has to play in the middle every single game (bar the big games when momo, Xabi and stevie would be needed)

Pennant is by all means not the greatest RW in the world, but at least he offers us some attacking threat down the right AT THE SAME TIME as stevie G offering a threat down the middle.

The left hand side is a pickle with kewell and garcia injured, but surely if Riise plays LB then we can alternate between Aurelio and Gonzo down the LW it may give us more balance and a better option down the left. (I dont like riise LW with Aurelio LB, it just doesn't seem to work that way round)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion