How do we dig ourselves out of this? - Suggestions...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 pm

If we accept that there are numerous weaknesses in the squad and that we don't have the finances to plug all the gaps this summer.  And let's say that Benitez starts next season as manager, then what realistically would you do this summer in terms of strengthening the team?

Do you bring in a centre half?  Another striker? A winger?  A creative central midfielder?

Do you buy quantity (ie freebies and loan signings) to beef out the squad, or do you blow our budget on one marquee signing?

We've got Jovanovic coming in, a striker unproven at this level.  Can we really just rely on him, Ngog and Kuyt as backup for Torres?  Or do we need someone else?

My opinion is that conceding goals drains confidence and that's where things went wrong early season.  If we stop conceding then confidence builds and things will start happening for us offensively too.  So I'd start plugging the weaknesses at the back first.  If we can get the lad Kjaer or someone of similar ability for 10-12 million then I'd do that.  I don't think Skrtel is good enough, Carra's past his best and Agger can't stay fit.  We need someone to come in as first choice.  Preferably someone who can head a football.

After that we've got Jovanovic coming in.  And to be honest that might have to do us.  I can't see there being a lot of cash available.

The other thing we might have to consider is the Aquilani situation.  I mean if Benitez isn't going to play him, then he has to sell him.  We can't afford a 20 million quid ornament on the bench.  I feel bad writing the lad off, but I've said from the start I didn't want him.  An offensive midfielder who doesn't score goals is exactly what we don't need.  We're never getting the 20 million back we paid for him, but like Dossena he'll still be rated in Italy so you might get close to 15 mil for him if you're very lucky.  Best case scenario is that the lad proves me wrong and starts playing like an Italian International, but Benitez has to show some trust in him or it won't ever happen.  But it's a situation we need to think carefully about if we have to sell to buy in the summer.

We'll see what happens anyway...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

There are numerous decisions to make. Strength in depth is one thing, as has been shown with torres's injury - but what's the point of buying squad players who may not be up to the challenge if they are called upon. Its the big question: quality vs quantity. Man city / chelsea can have both. we cant. we have to make that choice.

In an ideal world, you only strengthen your side - but lets be realistic, we're probably gonna have to sell-to-buy

The Aquilani situation is a difficult one, as we cant really judge him until he starts playing regulary. He hasn't started for the last 5 games, and only come off the bench in 2 of those 5.  A big decision needs to be made here. play him or sell him. simple. I'm not gonna throw the towel in on him yet... but we need to see him play  more games over the next 2 months, then make that decision

one thing we really do need to look at is the midfield pairing of mash and lucas. It doesn't work. It really doesn't. Do we really need both on our books? - I mean with Gerrard, Aquilani (if he stays), Spearing, plus others to come in if needed. [NB Spearing may not be quite good enough, but remember neither was lucas until he got a consistent run in the side, and has since improved through continuous starts.] A sale here would provide some money, as would the sale of babel, to go and buy a striker and / or centreback. THe obvious preference would be to get £6/7 mil for Lucas and then £9/10 Mil for babel, as I really dont want to lose mash

Free transfers also have to be looked at more carefully. We assume now that wages come out of our transfer kitty. but (if we believe the paper reports) Joe Cole could be a free agent, and although he may prefer old trafford as a destination  - we should definately show an interest with a high wage offer.

One thing that could prove difficult is if we dont make europe at all next season (including europa league) - then some of the names we could go after (ie Joe Cole, that promising defender Simon Kjaer etc) may chose to go elsewhere. Pessimistic it maybe ... but it could definitely affect those who want to play in the champions league - which is not guaranteed for the following year either, especially if Man city strengthen again.
Last edited by Redman in wales on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

We change the manager, and pronto.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:We change the manager, and pronto.

(NB I do agree with you Ben, However...)

John's thread is about:

If we accept that there are numerous weaknesses in the squad and that we don't have the finances to plug all the gaps this summer.  And let's say that Benitez starts next season as manager, then what realistically would you do this summer in terms of strengthening the team?

You could almost debate the same senario with a new manager, ie no funds etc, but it would be more drastic, as some of rafas favourites (Kuyt, lucas) could definately leave
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 pm

But Rafa IS the problem so I can't really think what he would do to fix the situation, I feel it is so broken now that nothing short of a major clear out of players could turn things around for Rafa and then we start at square 1 again.
heimdall

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Redman - I agree that quality v quantity is an issue for us.  I prefer quality over quantity, but we have key players in key positions that are injury prone and that has to come into our thinking.  I'm talking about Agger, Torres and Johnson.  When he gets a run of games, Agger is probably our best CB these days, just ahead of Carra perhaps.  We don't have any real RB cover (hence Carra and Masch playing there this season) and we'll all agree that cover for Torres is far from good enough.  These positions need to be looked at before anything else imo.

We can maybe get away with bringing Kelly through the ranks as RB cover next season, we might get away with Jovanovic covering Torres and we might just get away with Gerrard/Masch/Aquilani/Pacheco/Lucas for the 2/3 central midfield spots next season, but I just don't think we can get away with going into next season with our current 4 centre backs.

I'd consider flogging Skrtel, he's the least effective of the four imo.  I'd even consider flogging Agger even though I rate him because of the injuries, but it might be worth holding onto him for now as he could be good bait for this Kjaer lad who knows him from the Danish set up.  So maybe we'd get 5-6 mil for Skrtel?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Ben and Heimdall, I don't disagree with changing the manager, but I've given my reasons elsewhere why I believe he'll still be here next season...  and I can't be @rsed with another 'Rafa bashing' thread, so let's not go there eh? :)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm

john craig wrote:Ben and Heimdall, I don't disagree with changing the manager, but I've given my reasons elsewhere why I believe he'll still be here next season...  and I can't be @rsed with another 'Rafa bashing' thread, so let's not go there eh? :)

ok fair enough. Btw why do you think Rafa will be here next season, I think I missed that?
heimdall

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Skrtel's a good shout

If I was playing champ man (and not cheating!) I'd try and sell Skrtel, lucas OR Aqualani, babel.

Use that money to buy in a really good CB (perhaps this Kjaer), and a creative attacking player either a proper winger, or a striker.

Rafa doesn't like wingers. Reira is the only real winger we have. Babel (striker) Kuyt (striker) Benyoun ("the hole" behind the striker). Maxi I think is a winger, but hasn't shown much (though it is still early days)

Jovanovic is a tricky one for me as I've never seen him play. No idea if he's good enough to back up Torres or not
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I heard an interesting saying the other day regarding suicide. It went like this:

"Suicide permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Makes sense. By now I reckon half of you are swinging from the rafters regarding the solution to the problems at our club.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm

the problem is rafa not aqua cannot believe ulot. rafas the one being so :censored: negative not aqua. will rafa change or is the :censored: thinking i can do what i  ilike and they wont sack me cos of compo? so what ur all saying is finish 6th in the prem but least we save 20 million on not sacking rafa. what a load of :censored:!
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Skrtel's a good shout

If I was playing champ man (and not cheating!) I'd try and sell Skrtel, lucas OR Aqualani, babel.

Use that money to buy in a really good CB (perhaps this Kjaer), and a creative attacking player either a proper winger, or a striker.

Rafa doesn't like wingers. Reira is the only real winger we have. Babel (striker) Kuyt (striker) Benyoun ("the hole" behind the striker). Maxi I think is a winger, but hasn't shown much (though it is still early days)

Jovanovic is a tricky one for me as I've never seen him play. No idea if he's good enough to back up Torres or not

If I was playing champ man I'd go Man City :laugh:

Babel will surely go in the summer.  Next season will be his 4th, probably that's the last year of his contract (I'll need to check that) and he'll not sign a new one I'm sure, so we'll have to get rid before his value drops.

Can't see Benitez selling Lucas.

Riera is one that doesn't seem to be in favour these days.  I like him to be honest, a good player I think, but he's one that could be sold to release funds I reckon.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

personally i still think we need a top class left back. insua has so many flaws and aurelio is made of glass and can't be relied on to play a number of games in a row.

i love carra to bits but we really need to be looking at a long term replacement aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I heard an interesting saying the other day regarding suicide. It went like this:

"Suicide permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Makes sense. By now I reckon half of you are swinging from the rafters regarding the solution to the problems at our club.

Always the voice of reason...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:55 pm

john craig wrote:Ben and Heimdall, I don't disagree with changing the manager, but I've given my reasons elsewhere why I believe he'll still be here next season...  and I can't be @rsed with another 'Rafa bashing' thread, so let's not go there eh? :)

tbh mate i didnt read your whole thread opener so apologies.

I will respond later.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion