How did you end up supporting liverpool?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:47 am

I'm from Ireland but my dad was a liverpool fan and he had brainwashed me by the time I was about 8.

The first game I watched on tv was against arsenal at home in the season we last won the league.  I was hooked after that
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YoungAdam » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:06 am

As a rule my dad's side are Everton and my mum's side are Liverpool...but my Grandad on  me Dad's side is a Red and he basically made me support them when I was about 5 or 6.
YoungAdam

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:17 am

I grew up in North Wales and have family in South Liverpool. My Mum's a huge 'pool fan as is my older brother and my dad's adopted English side is LFC, so it was just the natural thing to do...    only team I've ever supported :)

Went to my first games in the early-mid 80's when I was about 12 or so which just cemented what I knew already that there's only ever gonna be one team for me, Liverpool FC
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieRed » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:21 am

My dad and I are fearce rivals in everything we do to do with sport. So when he told me that he had supported united since 1960s and and a collection of team blazers... I SIMPLY HAD NO CHOICE... it was Liverpool or stay in the family... I am busy writing to you from inside a cardboard box so guess which side of the equation won!!!!!! :D
AussieRed

Postby XSD » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:55 am

Er old thread isn't it?

Born into an LFC supporting family, my mum was from Allerton.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Brought up in Altrincham (Cheshire), used to watch them home and away.  You have to have a favourite team in the top flight too though.

I've supported Liverpool since the early 70's - as soon as I understood that Liverpool = good and Utd = evil.
:cool:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Nando » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:28 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
Nando wrote:i hate to say this but i was a man utd fan to begin with

you wha??   ???

!!!!!!!!!!!!

:oh:  :angry:  :O  :D

i will never live that down and will take my previous sins with me to my grave  :(
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:58 pm

when i was about 7 or 8 years old and first getting into football (my family have nver been interested) i used to talk with my best mate about it a lot and read all those kids magazines. he'd just chosen man utd as his team and i went for liverpool. i was growing up in stoke-on-trent at the time and used to go to their games and cheer them on just cos i loved the atmosphere at matches, but liverpool was always the most important team for me. that was tricky at the time because both teams were in the 1st division at the time - at the stoke v liverpool games i had to nip off into the away supporters end. :D  then when i was 18 i moved to liverpool and lived there for 16 years - that was what REALLY cemented the passion.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:58 pm

Well embarrisingly enough i started supporting Liverpool back at the start ofthe 2003/04 season simply becos their name happened to be on page 17 of Soccer International.  Although I was playing U14 State rep at the time and lovedd playing the game I couldnt give a ****** about the proffesional teams.  One of my best friends tho (he also played rep) started going on and on about Juventus which was the team he supported and I thought 'oh gee he'll think im an idiot if i dont support a team, he had his copy of Soccer International open at the time and I saw an article about some lad called harry kewell joining liverpool football club so I said 'I support Liverpool'

and ive stuck by that ever since :)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:59 pm

I have been supporting England since World Cup 94, and then a couple of years later the lad by the name of Michael Owen came around and I started watching him. Naturally it grew to watching the team, that would be 97. Cheered for both England and Liverpool that was in 98, and thats when i became a David beckham hater.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:21 pm

From Ireland and when i was about 4 or 5 all most of my  friends started supporting Utd. A few of us decided to start supporting LFC.Since then most of the Lads have changed and started supporting Man U but I couldn't. Once i saw John Barnes play on TV that was it for me. Have stayed loyal ever since
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:25 pm

You've  been supporting England since World Cup 94?

If my memory is right England had a great world cup in 94, didn't concede a goal, or even a kick of a ball![/

In Ireland it's either LFC or Manu (even when Manu were rubbish in early 80s). I was a glory hunter and went for LFC. Sometimes I feel like a man who married a beautiful woman but whose best days are behind her. :laugh:
Last edited by Big Niall on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:29 pm

Big Niall wrote:You've  been supporting England since World Cup 94?

If my memory is right England had a great world cup in 94, didn't concede a goal, or even a kick of a ball![/

In Ireland it's either LFC or Manu (even when Manu were rubbish in early 80s). I was a glory hunter and went for LFC. Sometimes I feel like a man who married a beautiful woman but whose best days are behind her. :laugh:

I think a lot depends on where you are in Ireland. Some counties have more Man U fans then Liverpool and some have more LFC fans than Man U. A lot of Arsneal and newcastle fans popping up in the last few years though.
Still remember the year Blackburn won the LFC. Blackburn fans popped up everywhere but vanished a couple of years later.
Last edited by LiverpoolFan00 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:42 pm

A mate and I were playing Subbuteo, or maybe one of those cheap tiddly-wink football games, (this is a little bit before Championship Manager...) when I was a kid - 6 or so I guess.  One team was red, one team was blue.  It was his game, and he was playing red - said he was Liverpool.  I had to be blue - my mate told me I could be Ipswich Town.  Can't remember if I already supported Liverpool or just thought that Ipswich Town sounded like a stupid name, but I remember my disappointment that the game wasn't mine.

Later, we got one game of football on TV each week - Sunday lunchtime - Game of the Week or something.  I guess I was a few years older, and at that time Liverpool featured pretty often - especially remember Barnes and Rush.  Used to always check out the results in the paper too.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:20 pm

I was LFC as soon as I was born. I was born into a family of liverpudlians so i had no choice not that i wud hav chose any other options.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion