How did it start? - Love of liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby barnesrush » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:12 pm

Im doing a bit of research at the moment and it would be really helpful if you guys could give me a bit of info about what made you fans of the club.

For me its quite random but when i was about 7 (in the late 80's) i was given a plain, red football top and saw the reds on telly so the love just grew and grew.

please help a fellow fan by giving me your stories no matter how random or obvious they seem to you.

(i would have put this in general chat but who knows what direction the thread could have taken)

cheers to anyone who replies  :)

YNWA
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:18 pm

I started following Liverpool in the mid 70's, but got firmly behind them when they were beaten in the 77 cup final - even though I was only 7 at the time, seem to remember something about the commentators even back then!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:25 pm

what was the reason you started supporting tho jimbo?
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:38 pm

I can't remember - probably similar to yours in that initially there was no reason other that having a red top and that cup final.

But in that cup final, I can remember the commentators seeming to want the Mancs to win (possibly selective memory), and it just grew from that.

I remember something else as well, Jimmy Case had same first name as me, and same initials, so that just sealed it up for me!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:42 pm

one night strange creatures with grey faces and black eyes seemed to be in my bedroom, i dont remember much but one was wearing this red t-shirt with "CROWN-PAINTS" on the front, and booting my dog around the room shouting "Ian Rush has done it again."   it was quite vague but the memory stuck, and then when i seen this "Ian Rush" bloke on the telly i thought "i'm not avin that, that cant be coincidence."

and i've been interested ever since
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:53 pm

I had aways been a fan of Michael Owen when i was little so i was looking at his club and immediatly love grew for the club not becuase of MO, just generally for the club. This was about in 2002
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:00 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:one night strange creatures with grey faces and black eyes seemed to be in my bedroom, i dont remember much but one was wearing this red t-shirt with "CROWN-PAINTS" on the front, and booting my dog around the room shouting "Ian Rush has done it again."   it was quite vague but the memory stuck, and then when i seen this "Ian Rush" bloke on the telly i thought "i'm not avin that, that cant be coincidence."

and people say internet sources arent reliable!!!  :D
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:08 pm

i was about 4, folks hated football, first game i saw on telly. followed avidly for the next 24 years, and always will
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:27 pm

ahh you remind me of me dawson :D
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:28 pm

barnesrush wrote:
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:one night strange creatures with grey faces and black eyes seemed to be in my bedroom, i dont remember much but one was wearing this red t-shirt with "CROWN-PAINTS" on the front, and booting my dog around the room shouting "Ian Rush has done it again."   it was quite vague but the memory stuck, and then when i seen this "Ian Rush" bloke on the telly i thought "i'm not avin that, that cant be coincidence."

and people say internet sources arent reliable!!!  :D

totally untrue!!!!!
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:28 pm

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:I had aways been a fan of Michael Owen when i was little so i was looking at his club and immediatly love grew for the club not becuase of MO, just generally for the club. This was about in 2002

same as me but ive been a fan since 1997
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:40 pm

My big brother and my parents are 'pool through and through, so had no choice in the matter really. Just came naturally I suppose and I've supported them ever since I can remember. Also got family in Liverpool and Liverpool is the city I always used to get dragged to shopping with me mum when I was  nipper. As I got a little bit older I was allowed to leave the shopping to me mum and go to the game with my dad & bro.
We used to end up in the main stand or annie road usually, but first stood on the Kop when I was about 13. Happy days :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:57 pm

i suported liverpool when kenny scored that great goal against bruges in the 78, european cup.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:13 pm

My dad was watching match of the day late 1974. I was less than one year old and as a Liverpool goal was banged in i said Libberbbuuullllll  (And i was not even drunk)!!
I perked up or smiled every time i saw the red shirt after that and have followed them ever since.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:15 pm

The only english football on Irish t.v. when I was younger was the cup finals and match of the day.  I remember watching the 1981 league cup final replay and Kenny Dalglish scored a cracking volley from a Terry McDermott pass.  Dalglish is my hero and i've been a Liverpool fan ever since.  I'm travelling over for the Newcastle game next month so I hope theres a ticket left for me.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion