How did it start? - Love of liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby L-type » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:24 pm

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:I had aways been a fan of Michael Owen when i was little so i was looking at his club and immediatly love grew for the club not becuase of MO, just generally for the club. This was about in 2002

= my story
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:58 pm

My folks have a photo of me in the early to mid eighties with a crown paints home top on, red shorts and socks, and a stupid orange football under my arm - proud as punch.

Dunno why I picked Liverpool, it wasn't a family thing, you just seemed to pick a team and stick with them. My first real team memories were with the likes of Barnes, Rush, Beardsley, Hansen, Molby, McMahon, Grobbelaar, Lee, Nicol etc. - mid to late eighties I guess.

I collected those football stickers - Panini - and had the Liverpool team 3 times over. Thats about it.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:04 pm

Ahhhhhh, Crown Paints.....brings a tear to my eye.

Anyone remember the old Crown Paint ads on tv in the 1980s where two guys are painting a house? They had a poster of the 1985 squad pinned to the inside wall of their garden shed.

Yes, Liverpool FC, the giants of 1980s football, had football marketing down to a tee back then!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:05 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Ahhhhhh, Crown Paints.....brings a tear to my eye.

Anyone remember the old Crown Paint ads on tv in the 1980s where two guys are painting a house? They had a poster of the 1985 squad pinned to the inside wall of their garden shed.

Yes, Liverpool FC, the giants of 1980s football, had football marketing down to a tee back then!  :D

Crown paints Rule i was gutted when we changed to feckin Candy , a bloody washin machine company !  :angry:   :D
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:14 pm

who the hell is diarra wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Ahhhhhh, Crown Paints.....brings a tear to my eye.

Crown paints Rule i was gutted when we changed to feckin Candy , a bloody washin machine company !  :angry:   :D

My first Liverpool strip ( I had to wait until I was a teenager) was the 1988/89 away strip, a flashy silver grey with a bright red Candy logo on the front!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

Actually, I think it must have been the 1989/90 strip I'm thinking about.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

who the hell is diarra wrote:Yes, Liverpool FC, the giants of 1980s football, had football marketing down to a tee back then!  :D

Crown paints Rule i was gutted when we changed to feckin Candy , a bloody washin machine company !  :angry:   :D[/quote]
Lol. Aye Carlsberg were a big improvement on Candy. Never liked the silver away strip either.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:17 pm

Ooops sorry JBG, didn't see your post. Meant to say I 'loved' the silver/gray away strip, I'm just jealous because I never had one. :;):
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:18 pm

I got my 1 st as a hand me down from me cousin i was ouly about 9 was a Yellow Crown Paints  one , didn't really understand the significance of what he was getting me into :D he along with a friend about 7 years older than me rescued me from a Blue Father n Younger  Brother :D

who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:20 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Actually, I think it must have been the 1989/90 strip I'm thinking about.

Blood*y hell JBG thats some good figurin :D i get strips mixed up we wore 4 years ago :D

who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 pm

fivecups wrote:Ooops sorry JBG, didn't see your post. Meant to say I 'loved' the silver/gray away strip, I'm just jealous because I never had one. :;):

At the time the 1989/90 home and away strip were seen as being "revolutionary" and were a major departue from previous strips. I think we were the first major club to go to a "fashionable" kit, and I remember, after seeing Glenn Hysen in one, I simply had to have one. My parents got it for me for Christmas, and when I went back to school after the Christmas holidays. The only thing was, I was so proud of it that I was terrified of getting it dirty and for the first game or two I played in it, I refused to do any sliding tackles!

Looking back on it it was naff (although it really fitted into the Harry Enfield "Scousers" in shell suits at the time) but at the time, it was the coolest thing going.

Sure beat the short shorts they wore in 1985/86!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:25 pm

Think of the silver kit and you think of good old Glenn, happy memories....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:28 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:At the time the 1989/90 home and away strip were seen as being "revolutionary"

Coinciding with a time where not too long after Souness (should that be Sourness now ) Revolutionised Liverpool into a big bag o' sh*te  :D

who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:35 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Think of the silver kit and you think of good old Glenn, happy memories....

Do you remember Glenn Hysen's famous and trademark diving header clearnaces?

A long ball would come down the Liverpool end, the opposition forward would chase after it, only for Hysen to sprint and DIVE at the ball, clearing his lines in a situation he had no god given right to do.

I loved Hysen, even though he was only here a while, and it was a pity he fell out with Souness.

He was no Hansen (but Hansen was no Hysen) but hard as nails, Hysen was. Whats more, Ferguson tried to break the bank to get Hysen to Old Trafford, but he came to us as he claimed we were the bigger club. Happy days.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:43 pm

He scored when we beat Palace 9-0. Nine freakin nil. We were just scoring for fun.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion