How bad/good is our start?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Nando26 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:39 pm

If were comparing correspnding games from last season were only 1 point worse off so its not as bad as some people make out

Ive said on here before i think well lose afew more but i think we wont draw half as many
Nando26

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm

This is not the right thread..............but micheal owen u [email]mudderf@cker...........[/email]  :angry:

f@ck f@ck f@ck
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Because we had such a good season last year in terms of Total losses (2) then the spotlight was always goingh to be on us in the early part of this campaign. Whilst I was disappointed with the 2 defeats I've been encouraged by the lack of draws we have made which was the real reason we failed to claim the title last season. Wins against Stoke and Burnley and hopefully another next week against Hull (2 teams we drew with lat season) should offset the defeats and remember we have only lost as many as last season ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:01 pm

in terms of points of course our start isn't totally shocking, but as mentioned, the trouble is we've struggled every time we come up against decent opposition (and lost our hardest 2 ties)

doesn't bode well for when we meet chels etc  :Oo:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:03 pm

On the contrary we normally lift ourselves for the big matches and look at our record against the top 4 last season. We just need to tighten up at the back a bit.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:14 pm

bavlondon wrote:On the contrary we normally lift ourselves for the big matches and look at our record against the top 4 last season. We just need to tighten up at the back a bit.

the suggestion  that we "normally" lift ourselves aginast big teams is inspired by a few memorable results... but i would look at our record against the top4 in every other season except last season - it's pretty shocking
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Why would you do that? By doing that you are basically ignoring any progress we made last season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:Why would you do that? By doing that you are basically ignoring any progress we made last season.

statistical blip?  :p   

so i wouldn't rely on our progress to produce anywhere near the same number of points as it did last season ... :D
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Well I suppose that's one way of looking at it. :D We play Chelsea in a few weeks so that will be as big a test as any. (PS Drogba went of injured today)

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm

We've had a pretty poor start.  16 goals for, is well and nice, but 9 against is pretty terrible, especially for a top 4 team.  9 goals against really is a high stat, and when you look at the :censored: we've played against it's worrying.

However, I'll take winning the league with 100 goals against so as long as the 3 points are won I'll be happy :D
SupitsJonF

Postby Penguins » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 am

I would say a very poor start considering alot of things.

1. We have faced 2 top 10 teams and lost both and all wins have been vs bottom feeders. None of the losses have been vs top 4 either which means you can't write them off as very tough games.

2. Our defense is terrible and leaking like never before. With the aquistion of Vermealen for Arsenal I would say we have the worst back 4 of the top 4. No CB with authourity at all.

3. I don't see much of stability in the play on the field or in the mood of the players. I really seems there was dissapointment
in the squad by the fact we couldn't strenghten from last season.
Sure, Torres scored a couple last game but overall both him and Gerrard seems a bit off at the start of this season.

And sure I believe Johnson to be a good aqusition but I see problems with his forward runs because Kuyt isn't really helping him covering at right back which leaves us open at the back.
And to be honest right now our central pairing look very average and doesn't fill me with confidence.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:59 am

To me drawing a game is as bad as losing a game, considering dropping 2 points or 3 points.

If we play mediocrity against top 5-6 teams but be able to rally a winning streak against weaker bottom or middle-table teams we can still manage to challenge or dare i say win the league. At the end of the season, it is the number of wins not the record against top teams that matter.

As frankly speaking i have no confidence playing against mancs or chelsh.i.t, i hope we can solve out the problems in the back and the childish defending at set pieces. But knowing Rafa, most probably changes will be implemented very slowly, often too late.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am

Ask me after we have played Chelsea. That's when I'll judge our start. I fully expect us to beat Hull and if we can get the defence sorted out we'll give Chelsea a good game. As good as Chelsea have been they still haven't played anyone yet (Spurs tailed off badly in the second half). There's also a good chance that Drogba will be out after limping off yesterday.

I mean United have hardly set the world on fire either this season and yet but for Owen's goal yesterday we'd have been a point behind them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am

stmichael wrote:I mean United have hardly set the world on fire either this season and yet but for Owen's goal yesterday we'd have been a point behind them.

Couple of points about the Mancs though Mick. We learnt last season that there aren't enough "ifithandnabeenfer"'s in the dictionary to cater for a whole season of them. There'll be plenty more yet, so you may as well just concentrate on the points they've got rather than how they've got them.

The other thing is of course that they've played Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham and they're still ahead of us, who've really only played Tottenham and arguably Villa as teams of real note.

There's no question in my mind that we've had the easiest start along with Chelsea, and both the Mancs and Chelsea winning by hook or by crook in the formers case just shows you how vital it was that we won at West Ham. Is there anybody who would have fancied us had we been 8 behind Chelsea and five behind the Mancs?

I know I wouldn't, and I still think unless Chelsea inexplicably fail to beat Wigan next week, defeat at Stamford Bridge and the resulting 9 point deficit would leave us an absolulute mountain to climb even as it is.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:29 am

Wasnt our problem last season getting wins from games that look like draws or breaking down the smaller teams - we seems to have solved that a little so far getting wins from bolton,burnley west ham and wigan . Where as the big games Rafa mainly seems to get it tactically right against them .

On the games we have lost so far - both games been lost mainly due to stupid individual defensive errors that need to be ironed out . get rid of those and we can continue on a good run .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion