Houses of straw . . . . . - . . . .how disappointment becomes blame

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Its quite a big asumption, that being (I presume) that Garrard and Torres starting against Birmingham and Portsmouth would have definitely equalled 6 points and 2 wins from those games.

Well I wouldnt assume that, but I would assume it that playing Gerrard and Torres both from the start in both games would of given us a much better chance of getting 6 poinrs.

So had they played and we had still drawn the two games, would rotation have been the problem ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:36 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Its quite a big asumption, that being (I presume) that Garrard and Torres starting against Birmingham and Portsmouth would have definitely equalled 6 points and 2 wins from those games.

Well I wouldnt assume that, but I would assume it that playing Gerrard and Torres both from the start in both games would of given us a much better chance of getting 6 poinrs.

So had they played and we had still drawn the two games, would rotation have been the problem ?

Its all hypethetical now though isnt it.

But I said after Saturday's result was largely down to the players themselves. But yet again Rafa left himself open for critisism.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

No, its not the rotation thing thats bothering/bothered me Leon, its leaving out one or both of the better players.

Who knows whether it would of meant a win, but like Bamaga man said it is more likely...why take the risk, we had got off to a great start looked full of confidence and Torres started really well.
Play him, let Campbell and Distan have something to think about, we are a squad that most would admit are short of matchwinners to not play one of them in any league game (if they are fit) is always going to be a mistake.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Its all hypethetical now though isnt it.

But I said after Saturday's result was largely down to the players themselves. But yet again Rafa left himself open for critisism.

Nobody says we would have definitely picked up six points , however if you don't field your strongest side you won't know and will always wonder 'what if................." We could afford to lose an away game in the Champions League so I for one am annoyed Torres started the one game of little consequence and started on the bench in the two that could have put us top had we won
Last edited by Owzat on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:I’ll be honest, I don’t agree with the rotation policy. I have been extremely frustrated with the away draw at Portsmouth and even more so the home draw with Birmingham and in my opinion I would play the best 11 week in week out until fatigue or injury stopped me.

This is what some of us are annoyed at though and what we have been saying yet we are called fickle.

Nah the fickle stuff is because as you have pointed out there was rotation up the Derby game, and yet after that game, and those previous, the forum was full of
'we're gonna win the league'
'we're top of the league'
'..i showed the bitters/scum the league table at work, and let them have it!'

But i don't remember seeing posts complaining about the rotation that had occurred, there was no concern, where were the anti-rotationalists when Gerrard was brought back into a side that had won so well previously without him? infact there has been a thread which advocated rotation for the Brum game, which Rafa didn't do.

BUT two draws, and apparently the league challenge is doomed, calls for sack Rafa, and the easy stick to beat Rafa with....Rotation, is brought out. An argument that shows a real lack of consideration, there couldn't be another reason, because that would take more than 15 seconds of thinking. Thats where i guess the fickle jibes come from.

Now that does not make me and others, 'rose tinted', IMHO Rafa made some mistakes in the selection of players for Portsmouth, but nonetheless a point from there is OK, they will take many decent scalps. The team for Birmingham was good enough to win, and to those that believe it wasn't, then you cannot expect to win any games if Torres is ever injured. My concern was in Rafas comments regarding Birminghams tactics, we seemed to be more concerned with them, and it should be the other way round.

The strange thing is that the players have come in for very little stick, so i guess not only did Rafa pick the wrong team and tactics, but  he also managed to create very little, not dribble very well and pass poorly.

Who has said sack the manager or that we wont win the league ?

I havent read anyone say that on here.

What i have said consistently is that we will be there or thereabouts as we have a great squad, but we could be better, there are too many people that think Rafa doesnt make mistakes, too many people that make excuses and defend him blindly.
I am not someone who would agree with calling for his head (he has done a great job) i also think fans that boo at the match should not be there.
But on an internet forum or having a bevvy with me mates...discussing the manager i feel that its only fair that we speak about his mistakes as well, because however anyone wants to dress it up since the international break he has made mistakes.

Read the Birmingham match thread, its been said on there.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 pm

redtrader74 wrote:Read the Birmingham match thread, its been said on there.

Its like 30 pages long, i dont have THAT much spare time in work  :D

Maybe i am getting myself all worked up for nothing here, time will tell...maybe i just need a few beers  :)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:Read the Birmingham match thread, its been said on there.

Its like 30 pages long, i dont have THAT much spare time in work  :D

Maybe i am getting myself all worked up for nothing here, time will tell...maybe i just need a few beers  :)

You're not worked up for nothing, there is a sense of dispair and desperation because Rafa has put all our levels of expectation sky high. On the whole most agree he is the right man to get us no.19, and most believe that we have a sqaud thats capable.

It was all set up for us, that wins against Brum and Pompey would give us a big lead over Chelsea and Manu already, and the sense of disappointment is clear and understandable, its just we have different explanations for the TWO DRAWS.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Good opening post.

I agree more or less wholeheartedly.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion