Houllier spends - Gh draws up shopping list

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Gerard Houllier has made a new centre-half a priority for Liverpool this summer - despite the £14million ear-marked to lure Djibril Cisse from Auxerre. 

The Anfield manager is pressing ahead with plans to strengthen his defence at the end of this season, when his own future will be under fierce scrutiny if Liverpool fail to reach the Champions League.

And long-term target Cisse may not be the only player to swap Auxerre for Anfield this summer if Houllier follows up his interest in defensive team-mate Philippe Mexes, (left).

Houllier has been concerned at the lack of pace in his rearguard this season, during which the established axis of Stephane Henchoz and Sami Hyypia has lost its famed resilience.

And having lost out on Jean-Alain Boumsong over financial terms in January he is considering a move for the other mainstay of Guy Roux's defence.

Mexes, a 22-year-old French international, is believed to be on a short-list of centre-halves drawn up by the Liverpool management along with Marseille's Daniel van Buyten and Nottingham Forest's Michael Dawson.

Auxerre want to sell Mexes this summer rather than lose him for nothing when his contract expires in 2005.

Both Manchester United and Roma have been linked with the pacy defender this season, although the Italians will be out of the race if Auxerre demand over £5m - leaving Liverpool in control if United fail to rekindle their interest.

Mexes's agent, Oliver Jouanneaux, confirmed: "Auxerre have told us that Philippe will be sold this summer.

"There were reports saying Spain was Philippe's preferred move but that is not true.

"After speaking to him I think the English style would be better for him. He would have more time to play, which is what he is good at.

"He will be expecting to play at a good club in the Champions League, but the essential thing is what the club and the coach has to say to him. We don't know where he is going, but we do know who has watched him."

Houllier, who is currently in France, is also an admirer of Belgian internationalvan Buyten.

The 26-year-old cost Marseille £13.5m from Standard Liege in July 2001 but was loaned to Manchester City in January ahead of an expected summer departure from the Stade Velodrome.

An ankle ligament injury has brought the defender's season to a premature end last month, and City manager Kevin Keegan admits he is unlikely to clinch a permanent deal.

"The deal we made is not very tight and I expect him to join a bigger club in the summer," said the former Liverpool favourite.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:28 pm

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has targeted a centre-half as his number one priority in the summer. 

The Anfield manager has singled out top-class French international defender Philippe Mexes as the man he wants to shore up a back line that has creaked for much of this season, with Daniel Van Buyten as a possible alternative.

The Merseyside club have emerged as a surprise bidder for Mexes, 22, who was linked heavily with Manchester United earlier in the season, and has also been watched by Roma and Juventus.

He has already admitted he would be interested in a move to England, but United's interest has cooled significantly - with the improvement in form of Wes Brown.

Houllier was in France this week, and used the trip to make more discreet enquiries about the defender.

Mexes is another to come off the Auxerre production line, and he has already represented his country.

And the centre half, who has two years left on his contract, would cost around £7million - which is high for Liverpool, but Houllier knows he has to sign a top class defender if he has any chance of honours next season, and he is prepared to raise the cash by selling players.

Houllier has already struck a deal with France international striker Djbril Cisse and would love to pair him up with the Auxerre defender.

A deal has already been done for Cisse, and the Anfield coach is hoping that the lure of coming to England alongside a team-mate of the past five years would help Mexes decide on Liverpool.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:35 pm

Mexes is class, wouldn't mind seeing him in a red shirt
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:40 pm

Woollyback wrote:Mexes is class, wouldn't mind seeing him in a red shirt

We probably will, thing is, it may have vodafone on the front. Manc bast*rds
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:44 pm

We wear a red shirt, they wear a red a#se-rag
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:38 pm

Not seen enough of him but what i have seen he didn't appear particularly quick or strong.

I'll believe it when i see it.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:54 pm

He looked reasonably good when I say him play a few times (albeit on tv) and there was a lot of hype about him in France 2 years ago, but I honestly don't know if he is good enough to improve us.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:58 pm

Houllier creams himself at the sight of anyone French or playing for a french club.

I don't know the guy, I doubt it if he's a young Desailly or Thuram, probably more like le poof.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:20 pm

French central defender - could be a good sign. If he was that good though surely someone else would have swooped already. Like stu, I'll believe it when I see it happen. I'd be quite interested to know how many managers would sign Cisse if they had £14m.........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Was'nt Traore supposed to be similar to a young Desailly and the future of the french national teams defence and the new Lizaraseau was touted according to Houllier  as being Vignal,i guess we were all taken in by Houlliers pipe dreams when he first came to prominence, because we simply wanted to believe it,
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:45 pm

Yeah I'm still waiting for all the (french) "massive potential" we have bought to show some reward.:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:09 pm

who is to say Mexes will not flourish and grow into one of the worlds best defenders, but so many so called prodigies have been stifled by Houlliers tactics and bemusing managerial skills ,so i hasten to add Mexes is good but he won't develop properly under Houllier,so whats the point buying him ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bakes40 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 pm

hello everyone new member bakes40 here how are you all. My point is heskey why does mr.houllier play him ahead of baros
bakes40

Postby DrLiverpool » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:12 am

Mexes and Cisse are both class I see them play almost every week and Auxerre are my favorite team in the French League. Thing is will they be as good in the premiership as they are in france. We have seen this happen (especially with rivaldo) where a player is good in one league but rubish in another one.

bakes40

Heskey is class dont bad-mouth him

:)
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:22 am

DrLiverpool wrote:Heskey is class dont bad-mouth him

Heskey has the ability to be class but rarely uses it. It frustrates the hell out of me. He's had his chance so sell him if we can get the right price
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion