Houllier 7 days left.....?!?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 20, 2004 4:39 pm

id like hamman to stay fora nother season
as for all the GH stuff, its just something to read, there will be something else tomorrow no doubt
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redspirit » Thu May 20, 2004 5:02 pm

You know, the increasing rumors of GH getting the axe is making me a much happier person than I was during the season.  I hope it becomes reality!
redspirit

Postby stmichael » Thu May 20, 2004 5:05 pm

redspirit wrote:You know, the increasing rumors of GH getting the axe is making me a much happier person than I was during the season.  I hope it becomes reality!

me too. imagine if it did happen. this messageboard would break down due to overposting from rejoicing forum members! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redspirit » Thu May 20, 2004 5:23 pm

:D
redspirit

Postby walshst » Thu May 20, 2004 5:32 pm

Hargreves as an attacking right back? I dont watch that much German football so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought he played on the right hand side of midfiled not defence!!! And yes he would be a good buy, I think
walshst

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 20, 2004 5:35 pm

Houllier laughs off speculation
Press Association Wednesday December 10, 2003

Gerard Houllier has laughed off claims that his job could be on the line if Liverpool do not return to Europe's elite - insisting he has a squad good enough to qualify for the Champions League. The Frenchman and the club claim chairman David Moores' seemingly critical remarks in a report to shareholders have been misinterpreted. And Houllier, who also branded as "nonsense" a weekend report that he had been offered a job with the Australian Football Association, was equally dismissive of the interpretation of Moores' comments that Champions League qualification was the "minimum acceptable target".
"We are still in a decent league position going into the turn of the year," said Houllier.
"We were without six players at Newcastle at the weekend who are first-team regulars in Michael Owen, Harry Kewell, Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Milan Baros and Stephane Henchoz.
"I think pretty well everybody will be back in January. After that I think we will be really in there fighting strong to improve our position and get into the top four or third place, which is not out of reach."
Owen, Kewell and Finnan could all be back before Christmas. But it is the loss of Owen for the third time this season with unrelated ankle, calf and thigh injuries - none of which is in any way connected to his previous history of hamstring troubles - that has hit Houllier hardest.
"With those problems, I think our position is not bad," he said.
Moores' shareholders report underlined that Champions League qualification was the minimum requirement. But the club have moved to quell reports that Moores' comments indicated Houllier's job could be on the line by publishing the report in full on their website.
"I laughed when I read the interpretation of what has been said. The chairman was simply saying what I have said all along.
"We set our target to get into the Champions League and we want to win every competition we enter."
Speaking to the BBC, Houllier added: "We have to have a winning culture at Liverpool and we have won trophies here, although it is obvious we wanted to be in the Champions League this season."
Moores has since distanced himself from suggestions he had delivered an ultimatum to Houllier and the Liverpool boss is in optimistic mood about the future. He said: "Steven Gerrard has just signed a new contract here and expressed his view about the way he feels things are going.
"He is happy to stay because he sees we are moving forward. The board simply want to make sure we are keeping going and moving forward.
"There is more pressure from external things. What is important is what is felt inside the club.
"If you have got the support of the board and a connection with your players you have no problems, and I have that."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Sat May 22, 2004 12:34 pm

Boocity wrote:Lets hope the board make a decision on GH soon, just seen this of ITV sport.

Meanwhile, the Reds have been linked with a summer move for Bernard Mendy.

The PSG fullback, who spent a season on loan at Bolton two season ago, is apparently high on Gerard Houllier's wishlist, with Steve Finnan having failed to deliver since his arrival at Anfield.

The 22-year-old has one year left on his current deal, meaning the French outfit could decide to cash in.
???

Bernard Mendy is a very good young right back who will only improve.....
He has way better attacking qualities than Finnan...seen him in the France-Brazil friendly (great game) and the way he ran by roberto carlos was just funny and put in a great ball for ****** man wiltord who missed an opener....
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 22, 2004 9:50 pm

Houllier tried to sign Mendy last summer.

Looked a very good player while at Bolton.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Puddlian Lane » Sun May 23, 2004 12:59 pm

Is Houllier's time up foor the Pool. Hopefully the Powers that Be will shed more light on Thursday. However I believe it would be best if he was leave now. Liverpool finnishing fourth was no disgrace, but doing it in the fashion they di is what brings me down. We were closer to being relegated than winning the title!!!
Firstly, Houllier claims that Liverpool don't have the spending power of Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea. I might agree with the latter but Houllier has spent nearly double what Wenger has. Houllier has failed misreably in the transfer market and here is some of the comparisions:(decide for yourself who you would rather have)

-Diouf    £11m                   Henry    £14m
-Diao     £6m                    Viera     £4.6m
-Chernyrou   £5.4m            Pires     £6.9m
-Diomande(the forgottan man) £4.6m     Freddie L   £2.2m
-Heskey   £12m                Gudjohnsen £5.4m
-Biscan    £7m                  Campbell   Free  or Woodgate £7m
There are plent other shocking signings as made and they all add up to £120m+. More than Arsenal have spent under Wenger and even more than Ranieri. The difference is Arsenal are runaway champions, Chelsea (despite the disgraceful on-going Ranieri treatment) finnished second and reached semis of champions league. Liverpool didn't really do enough to earn fourth spot. It was really down to Necastle who were dogged by bad luck. Houllier can go on about how he had many injuries but that huge transfer fund was supposed to by adequete back ups. Newcastle don't have that luxury but yet were able to fight right till the end against a team who spent more than double than they did.
   Sir Bobby has spent very well, as a result Newcastle's starting eleven is better than ours. Newcastle boast the brilliant Woodgate, Jenas and Dyer, and the bargain of them all, Bellamy. Newcastle have brought in some real bargains(all of the above equate to £24m and are worth triple that) and all of the above mentioned were injured through a good majority of the campaign. Reason to complain because, Robson didn't get the fund to have reinforcements. Yet Houllier complains about having Diouf out (what a shame!!!) and other underachievers such as Finnan and Smicer. Basically Houllier's signings have been significantly poorer compared to the others.
Another factor to explore is youth. Why aren't Liverpool producng any brilliant youngsters when we have a stae of the art academy. Chelsea have produced Terry and Huth, Man Utd have produced O'Shea and Fletcher recently. Arsenal have helped developed many players such as Kola Toure and Reyes. Who have Liverpool prouced or at least helped develop? Nobody. Maybe it his lack of faith in the youngsters.
    Maybe I should give Houllier a little credit. He did steer Liverpool to Uefa Cup success and second in the league at one point. But after the money he speant, surely this was expected. He has bought a few good players. Kewell, once he gets into the shape of things and is used properly (BEHIND THE STRIKERS) he will prove to be a sound investment. Riise is also another brillian player who hasn't been used properly. Kirkland once he returns from injury will hopefully live up to the early promise shown.
    Houlliers tactics are not very sound either. Liverpool play across the pitch and backwards, but never forwards. Only Gerrard seems to have an attacking instinct. Liverpool don't show the fleuncy of Arsenal or the solidness of Chelsea, or even the pace of the supereb Newcastle XI. Houllier in the past relied on the great partnership of HH, but when their form dipped, Liverpool siffered as a result. This factor should be explored.
    To conclude, I feel Houllier  should leave with some dignity left in tact so we can can look back on his reign with some sense of achievement, but I feel if he stays any longer he will lead us into a campaign that will go screaming into madness. I don't trust any money he now spends.
    So, who to tkae over? I would back O'Neil. He is tactically sound, very astute in the transfer market (the supereb A Thompson for £2.6m anybody?) and is great at develping youngsters which include Shaun Maloney and the brilliant Jonh Kennedy (whom Id pick over HH anytime). He also relishes the big time and is good at getting the most out of people. Other candidates inlcude Curbishley (id give my backing) or Steve McLaren (driving the Boro into solid positioning and Carling cup winners is a remarkable feat). But how about Allardyce, he has done a brilliant job, if only we could lure him from his beloved Bolton. What Liverpool need is a British manager who has shown success on some degree. Moores, here is the axe.
Puddlian Lane

Postby stmichael » Sun May 23, 2004 4:52 pm

Puddlian Lane wrote:Sir Bobby has spent very well, as a result Newcastle's starting eleven is better than ours. Newcastle boast the brilliant Woodgate, Jenas and Dyer, and the bargain of them all, Bellamy. Newcastle have brought in some real bargains(all of the above equate to £24m and are worth triple that) and all of the above mentioned were injured through a good majority of the campaign.

that is the biggest load of cr@p i have heard on this forum in a long time.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun May 23, 2004 5:58 pm

So i suppose the guy wo wrote the article in the Guardian works on the board, and gets in vited to board meetings does he?
Anyone who says they know Houllier is going is lying!
and people coming up with newspaper reports and posting them on these forums is full of ****
Houllier, has just earned a 12 month extension to his contract!
COme on Biscan!
84-1083280474

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Sun May 23, 2004 6:27 pm

Firstly, Houllier claims that Liverpool don't have the spending power of Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea. I might agree with the latter but Houllier has spent nearly double what Wenger has. Houllier has failed misreably in the transfer market...There are plent other shocking signings as made and they all add up to £120m+. More than Arsenal have spent under Wenger and even more than Ranieri.

It is not how much you have spent compared to the next guy. It is how much your signings are currently worth. With Heskey, we just made (at least) a 6M loss. Another 20M (?) if we decide to offload the cr@p like Diao, Diouf, Biscan, Cheyrou, Vignal, Diomade, Diarra etc. With Viera, Pires and Henry Arsenal will probably get 3x what they originally paid them for.
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby Gareth G » Sun May 23, 2004 6:31 pm

I agree with what you're saying, but Diarra is meant to be promising, he supposedly play's like Vierra and even look's like him, build way's.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 23, 2004 6:33 pm

SantaGiveHoullierTheSack wrote:With Viera, Pires and Henry Arsenal will probably get 3x what they originally paid them for.

exactly. wenger knows what he's doing. vieira cost 3m when he was rotting in ac milan's reserves. anelka cost £500,000 and was sold for 22m. overmars and petit were sold for £30m between them.

wenger may have made some bad buys but nobody remembers them because they are outweighed by the good ones.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Puddlian Lane » Sun May 23, 2004 6:39 pm

How is it the biggest load of cr@p? As far as I am concerned Newcastle have a better staring eleven than us. Woodgate, Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy, Bowyer and Vianna were out for a good chunk of the campaign. I don't know about you but Id rather have Bellamy/Shearer than Owen/Heskey. In addition their midfield is much better. We have Gerrard who is probably the best midfielder in the premiership but apart from that, Newcastle oust us. Also, my main point of price comparasion was to compare the ability of the players Houllier has bought as compared to rival managers which I didn't make clear. Sorry. Finally, I have being wating for Houllier to get the sack as much as anyone.  :(
Puddlian Lane

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion