Hope this can lift you upper - While awaiting for the new signing(s)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:26 pm

An interesting article quoted from US & Canadian Arsenal Supporters

Would love to hearing from you as well  :)

Liverpool that is. If there is a term "Sleeping Giant", then there is no bigger Sleeping Giant than Liverpool Football Club in English football. When Liverpool finally sacked Gerard Houllier, I was a bit upset. Not because I had any soft spot for Gerard it's-everybody's-fault-but-never-my-fault Houllier, but for a gut feeling that we may have another team to worry about. With the appointment of new coach Rafael Benitez, watch out, the sleeping giant may about to wake up...

Unlike Chelsea's new manager Jose I-am-the-best Mourinho, the new Liverpool boss is a low key figure who happens to have a studious approach to the game like our very own Arsene Wenger. Anyone who can lead a side to beat the mega-millions Real Madrid side to the Spanish title shall never be underestimated. The current Liverpool side has something in common with Valencia. The side does not possess too many "superstars", but they do have a solid squad, with plenty of quality players whom have been underachieving under former manager Gerard Houllier. Judged on Benitez's approach to the new side he has inherted, it looks to me the Spanish coach is ready to get his new Liverpool side to play organized, disciplined football, in order to offset the mega-millions troops like Chelsea and Man Utd, just like what he did with Valencia. Like any good coach should be, Benitez didn't go on and flash the cash in a hurry, nor attempted to make a wholesale change. He's probably buying his time to assess his new team and to make changes accordingly in the future. It seems to me, Benitez and Liverpool are heading towards a right direction.

On the other hand, the Bridge's new manager Jose Mourinho has been displaying an ultra confidence coming to English football. It appears to me that he actually believes he could just walk over the Premiership like that. He had boldly announced after being appointed as new Chelsea manager, "We have top players, and, sorry if I'm arrogrant, but now have a TOP manager. I am the EUROPEAN CHAMPION. I think I am a SPEICAL ONE." To me, he's either a truly SPECIAL ONE, or just simply being NAIVE. It's all so well that he had won an UEFA Cup and Champions League titles back to back, but to compete with the likes Arsenal and Man Utd for a 38-match season is an entirely different matter. Ferguson and Wenger did not combine to will 11 of the past 12 years' Premeirship titles by accident.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:33 pm

Interesting article anfieldadorer
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:39 pm

It is interesting to see how other clubs perceive us.  Looks like Chelsea and us have managers that reflect the club ethos.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:01 pm

have the feeling that Chelsea may just take over our place last season :D and liv would finish top 3
whylongball?

Postby begintoend » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:10 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:Gerard it's-everybody's-fault-but-never-my-fault Houllier,

Jose I-am-the-best Mourinho,

Nice post, nice nicks.....

Arsene I-MISS-VIERA Wenger ??

Alex WHERE'S-MY-HORSIE Ferguson ??

Anymore??  :oops:
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:23 pm

Bobby I'LL-BE-CLAIMING-MY-PENSION-NEXT-SEASON Robson?

Like the article too, sounds good to me...I am fearful though. Chelski and Mourhinio are total @#&*ers and I pray they have overspent and don't gell, I cannot ell you how much I despise them.....but I can't help the feeling they are the team to beat this year. Arsenal minus Viera are not the same AT ALL!!! and Man Utd seem to be just static...I can see us finishing 2nd this year for sure but to a team in Blue. Although 2nd would be OK :)
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:58 am

I fear Chelsea too, how i would love to see them fall flat on their face. I only hope that gooner is correct and Benitez wakes us up.
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Solo-4-LiverReds » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:49 am

Yeah, I hope that arrogant Mourinho and his band of idiots get the 4th poistion.:blues:
Solo-4-LiverReds

Postby desperado0831 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:57 am

ha...nice article for everyone wearing reds
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:39 pm

Chelsea will win the Premiership next season.

There is a reason for Mourinho being arrogant......
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:42 pm

hate to agree with you but the smarmy git can only improve on their performance last year

(not because its you because its ch*lski  :) )
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:51 pm

Mourinho is arrogant, but I think the press have blown his arrogance out of proportion. He's no more arrogant than Ferguson which is.......ok, fairly arrogant!

People shouldn't forget Mourinho's achievements at Porto, which were startling.

In some ways the current Chelsea squad looks a super charged version of the Porto squad, as Mourinho has shipped out some of the superstars and time wasters and the current shape of the Chelsea squad looks ominious.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:01 pm

if he gets as good performances from the chelsea squad as he did from the porto boys they will become the team to beat but hopefully this season there are too many new additions to gel well.

saying that they came second last season after signing about 11 players i think
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby begintoend » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:35 pm

Mourinho's no match for Benitez.... their squad is only stronger on paper.

They must be watch closely. But I fancy us beating them. Really!
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:15 pm

What about Arsenal?

They were fantastic last season but it now looks like they'll lose Viera. Him leaving would be a massive blow, both on the pitch and psychologically.

I know Arsenal have sold top players before (Overmars, Anelka, Petit) and survived, prospered even, but replacing Vieira would be difficult.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion