Here's a scenario - Europe

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Just thinking about the Europe debate being had in another thread, what do people make of the following scenario. Hopefully it'll spark some debate on here...

we play Tottenham at Anfield the day after the FA Cup final.

It's already been stated on here by DD that if City finish 5th and win the FA Cup then 6th place gets the Europa spot. So my question...

Would you allow Spurs to win the game at Anfield so they can finish ahead of City to ensure we get the benefit of European football next seaon?

Obviously there's a lot of variables involved but I'm just talking about this scenario arising specifically...

Personally, I'm not sure of the lure power the EL has in terms of attracting new players but at the same time dropping out of the CL one season then EL the next doesnt exactly ring out ambition across Europe

What do you thiink people? throw it or not?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 pm

No,

we must thrash Tottenham
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:43 pm

even if it meant not getting European football? I'm asking because its a lot different from last season when we played Chelsea at Anfield and winning could have handed a title to Man U. It's a loss that could specifically benefit Liverpool FC. It's an interesting take on events, in my opinion anyway :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:46 pm

I still think we have to beat the sh!t out of tottenham mate :D

Its an interesting scenario, though I don't think it will happen.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 pm

I dont think that we should be letting opponents win games against us. Ever. No matter the reason. That's just not football man, and that's not Liverpool. You may have a good and logical point Greavesie but I cant agree with it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Just heard another interesting one. Man City play Stoke after the FA cup final. Stoke could let City win that game so they get CL football and Stoke get EL, a result from which both teams would benefit. They won't put the FA Cup final day as the last domestic game of the season because UEFA don't allow the ground to be used within two weeks of the CL final.

Damjan - I'm not condoning losing, I love Liverpool FC winning games. I'm just interested in what people think and trying to spark newkit into life :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Greavsie I thought this was going to be some last day senario where we clinch 4th place. :D :(

Id quite like European football next season, but if we don't strengthen the squad (outside the 1st 11) then it will just end up a hinderance as we need to get back into the top 4 first and foremost. I'm hoping FSG have big plans for the summer.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 pm

haha I wish we could get fourth mate, surely any hope of that is gone? I'll do a BBC predictor and see if I can get a red tinted view on it and offer you some hope :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby shabelle50 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm

We should be trying to win as many games as possible up to the last game. Trying to play russian roulette in terms of others shouldn't come into it. It's not like we went to Arsenal yesterday to lose so that United won't win the title. KK's got it right we look after ourselves that doesn't mean trying to lose to Spurs so that City finish 5th. I'm not sure about that scenario anyway with City surely Stoke are guaranteed Europe next season whatever happens at Wembley because the FA Cup has to have a representative in the Europa. If City finish 5th and win the cup they'll qualify for the Europa league in 5th. Stoke will still get the third place as fa cup finalists. I don't agree with it particularly if they finish 20 points behind Liverpool but those are the rules.
shabelle50

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Greavesie wrote:I'll do a BBC predictor and see if I can get a red tinted view on it and offer you some hope :D

Now your talking mate.  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:50 am

No. Never go out to lose a game. Never.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 pm

forget bout europa league, its pish and useless travellin to the middle of nowhere, lets concentrate on gettin into the top 4 again,
brentd4

Postby ethanr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Not a chance.  As I see it, we could still pull ahead of spurs. They have 2 games at hand and 4 points on us, but they have the toughest fixture list. 

Let's say we win at Anfield, so there goes one game at hand.  They play Arsenal home next game, and Arsenal know they have to win to even consider winning league, there's still that small glimmer of hope.  Spurs haven't played that well lately anyway.  But either have Arsenal, so we'll say a draw.  Next is home to West Brom, who have been on fire lately, but spurs could still win this one, tho I predict a draw.  Away to Chelski, that's 0 points for spurs. Away to city and that will be a fight for the CL spot.  City are very good at home, so I see them taking that one, or maybe a draw.  Last game is home to Birmingham, but I see Birmingham fighting to stay in the prem that game, so it could be quite a difficult one.

Spurs have so many tough fixtures left that I could still see us pulling ahead of them.  Them ending up with nothing would be fantastic because we seem to be fighting them for quite a few signings.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am

well look at it another way....

for us not to finish 6th, would probably mean Everton finish above us. You'd want that as well just to avoid the Europa League?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am

Redman in wales wrote:well look at it another way....

for us not to finish 6th, would probably mean Everton finish above us. You'd want that as well just to avoid the Europa League?

Nightmare scenario!  I just cant understand why people dont want us to qualify for Europe!

Its a chance to win a trophy and winning trophies is what makes good teams become great, because it installs a winning mentality into the squad.

Winning the treble 10 years ago is what kickstarted a few very successful seasons up until 2 years ago.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion