Has Tomkins lost it ? Another Tomkins whopper ETC - A definitive discussion of his writing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedRoots » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 pm

There was a time where i used to enjoy reading Paul Tomkins articles, but lately i've noticed his arguements becoming a little bizarre, especially his use of various statistics to back up what he's saying.

His latest article has really taken the biscuit, just look at his strange "aggregate" arguement

Here

and tell me he's not losing it.

Well either he's losing it or he's being paid top dollar by the club to produce this propaganda.
RedRoots

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:54 pm

i think he is just saying how liverpool are more suited to double legged matches cos we eventually score higher on aggregate. it would be interesting though. like the example he gave regarding west ham where we lost 1-0 before winning 4-0 thus the aggregate score would have been 4-1.

it the league was that way perhaps we could win it soon :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Well the first part about aggregates makes sense................................NONsense :laugh: The aggregates may fall as he pointed out, but they are hardly relevant, and in no way would a manager say to his team 'well we finished 4th, but had the league a CL format we'd be Champions'.

The second part re:Torres, the number of games he played, and how often he was rested, was correct and lays to rest the deliberate and incompetent reporting in the media, which misleads the un-informed supporters into believing Rafa has been resting him all season.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:05 pm

who cares? ??????
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRoots » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 pm

He does make a lot of good points and he has got a great knowledge of Liverpool but it's mainly the aggregate score thing that he's brought up which is slightly pathetic, for example

"But two games against virtually any opponent sees Rafa's men come out with overall 'aggregate' superiority. The problem is that the domestic league system (as with the FA Cup) punishes the one-off slip-up more harshly than the European two-legged tie, where home and away scores are combined for one overall result."....................................................................................

"These games were of course played as one-offs, and not two-legged ties, and therefore approached differently by all involved. So it's not an exact science. But even so, few teams can manage an 'aggregate' victory over the Reds from two games"

Cheers for stating the obvious Paul.
RedRoots

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm

You only need to read the quotes on this thread to realise the bloke is gone for all money. They should put him out to grass before he embarasses himself any further.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 pm

he HAS to write nice stuff. cos of the money
but i would prefer him to Yari honestly :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:49 pm

He lost me when he started quoting his statistics alls i know is a win is 3 points and lose zilch i dont go in for all these statistics and figures maybe its because i dont understand them :p
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm

TBH , his articles have lost their standard , last time , they were top reads , now there just sh!t , anyone can see he's paid to write this and i think he should stop . I've stop reading Tompkins after his last article and this shows why again
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:58 pm

I stopped reading half way though. I take it im not missing much. :-)
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:48 pm

bigmick wrote:You only need to read the quotes on this thread to realise the bloke is gone for all money. They should put him out to grass before he embarasses himself any further.

spot on mate, it really, really p1sses me off when all they
are concerned about is the money etc, etc!!
your right BM he is an embarrasment!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:34 pm

NANNY RED wrote:He lost me when he started quoting his statistics alls i know is a win is 3 points and lose zilch i dont go in for all these statistics and figures maybe its because i dont understand them :p

Numbers ! Make the scary numbers go away ! Im the same im cack at maths and my eyes go all boss eyed when I see numbers and lots of them  :help

Anyway id rather read opinions than rumours of plain BS (Bascombe).
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm

has tomkins lost it? more to the point did he have it to lose it?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm

NANNY RED wrote:He lost me when he started quoting his statistics alls i know is a win is 3 points and lose zilch i dont go in for all these statistics and figures maybe its because i dont understand them :p

god help you when a win changed from two points to three then nanny  :laugh:
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:37 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:

god help you when a win changed from two points to three then nanny  :laugh:

How come i keep getting tormented here about my state of mind . Yes you an all Kharhaz  :laugh: im a clever b.astard i just dont like numbers

If this carrys on tormenting me i might just have to report yous for bias against the elderly :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion