Hansen - A legend?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:45 pm

A few days ago I would have said of course Hansen is a legend, one of our greatest ever centre backs, two (I think) Euro cup medals and loads of leagues.

However, a legend must be a legend outside of his own country (Uk and as Ireland don't have own league, Ireland too). Thats why I began thinking when Hansen said that  Van Basten thought that Hansen had been a golfer.

There wasn't much time between their careers, VB was star in 1988 when Hansen was winning league with Liverpool.

Are Dalglish, Rush, Keegan (excl Germany) etc known around Europe? are they true legends in the way Cryuff, Beckanbaur, Pele, maradonna, Zidanne etc are?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TonyH » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:55 pm

In my view to become a legend outside of national borders players need the world stage and this can only be done through the national team.

Keegan probably fits the bill, however, King Kenny, Rushie and Jocky would probably not qualify for the accolade of legend due to the limited international success of Scotland and Ireland.

Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, Maradonna, Zidane have all had success with national teams and are consequently deemed Legends.

That said the above is all a load of boll*xs as we all know King Kenny is a true legend above all others :)
TonyH

Postby Woollyback » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:59 pm

Big Niall wrote:A few days ago I would have said of course Hansen is a legend, one of our greatest ever centre backs, two (I think) Euro cup medals and loads of leagues.

However, a legend must be a legend outside of his own country (Uk and as Ireland don't have own league, Ireland too). Thats why I began thinking when Hansen said that  Van Basten thought that Hansen had been a golfer.

There wasn't much time between their careers, VB was star in 1988 when Hansen was winning league with Liverpool.

Are Dalglish, Rush, Keegan (excl Germany) etc known around Europe? are they true legends in the way Cryuff, Beckanbaur, Pele, maradonna, Zidanne etc are?

That was p*ss funny that :D

Having said that I wonder how much Van Basten was being tongue in cheek? After all, Hansen was one of the best players in a team on top of its game for nearly 2 decades and, during the 80's, the best football team on the planet
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:02 pm

Yes, Hansen was a legend. The problem back in the 70s and 80s was that football wasn't on tv as much, and often you could be a big star in your own league but pretty much unknown elsewhere. They only way you got international recognition really was when you played in international tournaments.

For some bizarre reason, Hansen only won 26 (?) caps for Scotland and had long played his last game before Van Basten came on the scene, so Hansen wouldn't have been as big a star across Europe as say Rio Ferdidand is now, even though Hansen was probably a better player than Ferdidnand.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:07 pm

hansen is a legend fullstop, doesnt matter what others think, he was an awesome centre back in a world beating team, end of chat
109-1105722616

Postby Boocity » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:17 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:For some bizarre reason, Hansen only won 26 (?) caps for Scotland.

Thats because that pr1ck Fergie took over the Scotland team for one of the World Cups(cant remember which one) and did'nt pick Hansen :angry:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:18 pm

If memory serves me right, (and it probably doesn't) Hansen was involved in some curfew-busting drinking at an International away trip. He never figured again, succesive Scottish managers prefering the Alex Mcleish/Willie Miller pairing from the 'all-conquering' Aberdeen back four. Even a 5-0 European Cup drubbing at our hands (1-0 away, 4-0 at home) couldn't convince the various tactical geniuses that Hansen was absolutely different class. Incredible.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:24 pm

probably worked in our favour that he wasnt playing in pointless internationals. (scotland internationals are pointless cos they dont get anywhere and they are sh'it
109-1105722616

Postby The_Rock » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:34 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:For some bizarre reason, Hansen only won 26 (?) caps for Scotland and had long played his last game before Van Basten came on the scene, so Hansen wouldn't have been as big a star across Europe as say Rio Ferdidand is now, even though Hansen was probably a better player than Ferdidnand.

Just shows how much Fergie hated us.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:31 pm

Fergie managed them in the 1986 world cup when still Aberdeen manager (went to manu after it).

In his book he said that Hansen pulled out of too many internationals (giggs?).

He also said the LFC boys all stuck together and didn't give info about LFC players for Wales (Rush) or anyone else, i.e. they put LFC first.

Fairl play to Kenny for pulling out of the 86 world cup (correct me if I am wrong here but I am fairly sure he did).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:39 pm

Big Niall wrote:He also said the LFC boys all stuck together and didn't give info about LFC players for Wales (Rush) or anyone else, i.e. they put LFC first.

fcuking bus 3rd.......

wats his problem ???

Club loyalty should come 1st..........

And old fart is a real hypocrite. Talks about hansen pulling out of internationals ...? Wat about Giggs ? He has been playing international football for more than 10 years and he has only won 49 caps...... Figuare that out.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:24 pm

double standards going on there
109-1105722616

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:10 pm

footy in those days wasn`t wall to wall coverage like these days. he would probably have heard of dalglish and rush but maybe not the defenders, after all who can remember the ajax and bayern centre halves when they won three european cups on the bounce just before us? (apart from the kaiser)
but in a way that was a good thing, it was great in the old days watching the world cups because no one really knew the foriegn teams and league`s and you were always pleasantly surprised when stars emerged.
these days most promising youngsters are snapped up by the major european teams before they are major international stars no matter what country they come from.
oh, and he was legend, and he`s got the medals to prove it - including three european cups.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:25 am

There are two major approaches in defining a legend. Firstly, his individual capability regardless of his achevement with his clubs. Secondly, he's a legend because he solely has the required capabilities as well as collectively contributes the cups for his clubs. For this secondly mentioned, I think King Kenny is the King of the legends, he was individually decent both as a player and manager as well as collected some cups with his club.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:00 am

Big Niall wrote:A few days ago I would have said of course Hansen is a legend, one of our greatest ever centre backs, two (I think) Euro cup medals and loads of leagues.

Guys like Hansen, Neal, Hughes, Kennedy etc are true legend and great servant of LFC. Wherelse guys like Cryuff, Kaiser, Pele etc are TRUE gifted superstar of their time, playing in a wonderfully talented team & it would be unfair to compare Dalglish or Rush with them, esp at world stage.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion