Hamann - The general

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:07 pm

i got into an argument with a friend of mine the other day. he was saying that he thought it was about time that liverpool were looking to replace dietmar hamann. i had to disagree with him for several reasons.

Hamman has been brilliant for us since coming back from injury. He's never been the kind of player that runs round like a headless chicken. His skill is in reading the game and keeping things simple. Watch how many times during a game he passes to a red shirt.

He's brilliant at stopping the opposition and has to be one of the best players in the league at "winning" free kicks.
also, chasing the opposition and closing them down is what he does for most of the 90 mins!!

ok the guy may be 30 but he is still top class and allows gerrard to excel and get forward more. he's a vital cog in our machine. definitely one of houlliers best signings. rumours are that he wants to finish his career in germany but ithink we can still get 2 seasons out of him. what do you reckon about hamann?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:18 pm

I couldn't agree more about Didi Hamann, the man has been an absolute rock for us and can still be a key player for us for another couple of seasons. Please don't let him go!!
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:38 pm

Hamann is a wonderful player but I wonder if his heart is still in it.I dont think he sees eye to eye with Houllier.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm a big fan of Hamman but i do feel that he has looked like he has been going through the motions at times. I know GH likes him to shield the back 4 but i like to see a bit more energy from him.Maybe see him get up and down a bit more or at least put in a bit more running. I have no doubt he has the ability to score 10 goals a season for us. just look at the strikes against Pompey and Man.City.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:55 pm

I am also a big fan of Hamman and despite costing a lot of money he is one of Houllier's best signings.

However, having him and Gerrard in the same team errs too much on the side of caution.

Man UTD and Arsenal play a creative midfielder alongside their engine room men (Keane and Viera) whereas we play a defensive midfielder alongside our dynamo.

I think Hamman is an excellent player, but he sometimes disapoints me as I think he is capable of doing even better than he is.

One major problem I have with him is that he should take the ball from Hyppia more and dictate the play. How many times do you see Hyppia in possession, with Hamman standing 10 yards away, allowing Hyppia to knock it long down the flanks?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:59 pm

i don't think gerard houllier gives him the licence to cross the half way line especially away from home. at home especially, i would like to see him contributing more in the oppositions half of the pitch. evryone can see that the guy's got a great shot so he should be chipping in with more goals by taking a gamble every now and again.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:57 pm

stmichael wrote:i don't think gerard houllier gives him the licence to cross the half way line especially away from home. at home especially, i would like to see him contributing more in the oppositions half of the pitch. evryone can see that the guy's got a great shot so he should be chipping in with more goals by taking a gamble every now and again.

me too. he was an attacking midfielder at newcastle scoring quite a few goals. Compare it to now........
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:01 pm

at least when he does score you don't forget the goal in a hurry. they're all 25 yards out at least. i think if he ever went into the oppositions box, apart from for corners, he'd get a nose bleed. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion