Gutted for ged - lyon out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:07 am

I was watching the PSG-Milan game tonight and was really impressed with PSG. At the time i thought i'll put a post up called 'chuffed for Ged' but of course Milan then went out and won the game (undeservedly) right at the death thanks to some shoddy PSG defending.

I'm delighted to see Ged happy and successful in football again and hoped that he would get to lift the European Cup once we were knocked out. I always thought he came across as one of the most likeable and honorable men in football. I know that some fans grew to hate Houllier during the last 18 months of his reign. I was certainly one of the many screaming for his head and can recall posting on here that i would almost prefer to finish 5th in the league during his final season if it guaranteed we'd get a new man in to take over in the summer.

I've always been jealous of the fans who got to sit at Anfield on that emotional night against Roma when Ged's return and the love and passion of the Anfield crowd summed up everything that makes Liverpool Football Club and it's fans the greatest in the world.

I wondered if your views of Ged and his spell at the club has mellowed or changed in the 2 years since he has left? i always thought that Houllier's reign would be remembered more fondly by the fans once a bit of time had passed.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:31 am

Well for starters he manages Lyon, not PSG.  And Secondly I was happy to see him do well, and was hooping he'd do his part in taking down AC Milan as well, oh well no sense in crying over spilt milk.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:06 am

Not exactly LFC discussion but yeah, Lyon were the better team over 2 legs to be honest and should have put Milan out.  Milan were a joke tonight, uncharacteristically disorganised for an Italian team ... and what the hell is Costacurta still doing playing top level football at 40?  FFS he's retired twice already!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:07 am

I was indifferent to whether Houllier had any success at LYON - but already had a bluenose in work being a smartarse when it was 1-1 with a few minutes to go saying  "Who manages them again?" - and then I thought well, it's just another pathetic angle for blunoses to poke fun.

So no; I feel no ill-wish on him but I wouldn't want him to win the Champs League.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:14 am

You watched the whole game thinking it was PSG ???

They didn't deserve to go out but that's Milan for you,they've got players that can pull something out of nothing
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:33 am

H_K_LFC wrote:You watched the whole game thinking it was PSG ???

What an idiot. i'll put the spliff down! Don't know why i wrote PSG. that's where Ged managed before if i remember rightly.

I didn't particularly want to talk about how Lyon were doing. Just if people's thoughts on Geds time at the club had mellowed/changed over the last couple of years so from that respect it is lfc discussion.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:37 am

F*ck him.

I wanted AC Milan to win - I voted for them to win the competition in another thread!!!!! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:57 am

Scottbot wrote:I was watching the PSG-Milan game tonight and was really impressed with PSG. At the time i thought i'll put a post up called 'chuffed for Ged' but of course Milan then went out and won the game (undeservedly) right at the death thanks to some shoddy PSG defending.

I'm delighted to see Ged happy and successful in football again and hoped that he would get to lift the European Cup once we were knocked out. I always thought he came across as one of the most likeable and honorable men in football. I know that some fans grew to hate Houllier during the last 18 months of his reign. I was certainly one of the many screaming for his head and can recall posting on here that i would almost prefer to finish 5th in the league during his final season if it guaranteed we'd get a new man in to take over in the summer.

I've always been jealous of the fans who got to sit at Anfield on that emotional night against Roma when Ged's return and the love and passion of the Anfield crowd summed up everything that makes Liverpool Football Club and it's fans the greatest in the world.

I wondered if your views of Ged and his spell at the club has mellowed or changed in the 2 years since he has left? i always thought that Houllier's reign would be remembered more fondly by the fans once a bit of time had passed.

LYON you clown#

GERARD GERARD HOULLIER, GERARD  GERARD HOULLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ALLE ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ , GERARD HOULLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

WHO LET THE REDS OUT? HOU? HOULLIER!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THE FELLA

PS. JUST GT IN FROM NITE OUT AND IM BEVVIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111  :pirate  :nod  :buttrock  :bump  :oops:
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:28 am

RAFABENITEZ wrote:PS. JUST GT IN FROM NITE OUT AND IM BEVVIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111  :pirate  :nod  :buttrock  :bump  :oops:

You must be to say you love Gerard Houllier!  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I'll always have the ut-most respect for Gerard Houllier & it's a shame all the hard graft that he achieved at the helm or Liverpool crumbled around him. And a big part of me misses him a lot. A bad manager doesn't win a treble (and it might not of been the most glamour’s treble but it was a treble nonetheless). A bad manager doesn't hoist 5 trophies in the space of a year.

Gerard had nothing but Liverpool's best interests at heart, he got rid of this spice boy mentally and upgraded Melwood training facilities. He helped produce players like Gerrard & Carragher two of the most instrumental and influential players in our squad.

He almost died at this club and for this club and he could of quite easily resigned and said I'm too unwell to manage a big club but no Gerard being the strong individual that he is came back and took over the reigns and yes all that hard-work was undone and we moved backwards, not forwards but he stuck it out, until the very end. Some call it him being "stubborn", I call it "dedication" and that is why I will always respect Gerard Houllier.

And yes I did call for a change because just like everything - nothing lasts forever and his time came to an end. And why do people still slate him when we are in this position? Why just focus on the last 18 months of his reign? Why not focus on the 6 years? Because if you do that you'll find the good events vastly outweigh the bad events during his era at helm
48-1119859832

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:05 pm

Hopefully this defeat will mean that he will want more strike power and take Cisse from us for £20m. :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 pm

PSG. :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:08 pm

0asis wrote:I'll always have the ut-most respect for Gerard Houllier & it's a shame all the hard graft that he achieved at the helm or Liverpool crumbled around him. And a big part of me misses him a lot. A bad manager doesn't win a treble (and it might not of been the most glamour’s treble but it was a treble nonetheless). A bad manager doesn't hoist 5 trophies in the space of a year.

Gerard had nothing but Liverpool's best interests at heart, he got rid of this spice boy mentally and upgraded Melwood training facilities. He helped produce players like Gerrard & Carragher two of the most instrumental and influential players in our squad.

He almost died at this club and for this club and he could of quite easily resigned and said I'm too unwell to manage a big club but no Gerard being the strong individual that he is came back and took over the reigns and yes all that hard-work was undone and we moved backwards, not forwards but he stuck it out, until the very end. Some call it him being "stubborn", I call it "dedication" and that is why I will always respect Gerard Houllier.

And yes I did call for a change because just like everything - nothing lasts forever and his time came to an end. And why do people still slate him when we are in this position? Why just focus on the last 18 months of his reign? Why not focus on the 6 years? Because if you do that you'll find the good events vastly outweigh the bad events during his era at helm

Well said or more to the point written but i expect it will be wasted on a few people
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:17 pm

having watched the milan-lyon game last night i have now come to the conclusion that all italian teams are rubbish and arsenal are basically in the final already.

just on villarreal beating inter, do you realise that if josemi hadn't played for us in the qualifiers, he'd be well on course to win the CL two years in a row?

what a funny world :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:20 pm

laza,

It's wasted on a majority, me thinks. I just think it'sa disgrace that lots of Liverpool fans hate Houllier to such a degree and it's normally down to two things, the sale of Robbie Fowler & his 2002 signings Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf.

:no
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion