Groundshare - Sky sports reporting new groundshare

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redtribe » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:19 pm

I have just seen on Sky Sports morning report that there is talks of a Groundshare between LFC and Everton!

Anyone know anymore about this??
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:54 pm

Its reported that officials from Liverpool and Everton have requested a meeting with the the sports minister to discuss the issue. Apparently the minister is in favour of the groundshare and it would appear that Liverpool have warmed to the idea after initially dismissing it outright. If these are the full facts of the matter it adds weight behind the argument that we are struggling to raise funds for both the stadium project and building the squad. Also it looks like the board are more willing to take this route than accept investment from outsiders. Its an interesting development so we will just have to see if the reports are correct.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby spud » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:02 pm

Below is an article......

"
Liverpool and Everton are to meet Sports Minister Richard Caborn next week for ground-breaking talks about sharing a stadium.

The meeting on Wednesday will involve Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry and Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and Caborn will throw his weight behind moves to share a ground.

Liverpool already have plans for a new stadium at Stanley Park and until now have been unwilling to share it with their neighbours. However, the possibility of financial incentives may persuade them to change their mind.

Caborn has influence with the Regional Development Agency who could provide some funds and Liverpool City Council are also keen to promote sharing.

A spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport told the Press Association: "Mr Caborn has had a request to convene a meeting and he is more than willing to talk through the issues. He is generally behind the concept of ground-sharing and has supported the recent agreement between Leicester City and Leicester Tigers."

The cost of Liverpool's proposed new 60,000-seat stadium has risen from an original £80million to an estimated £100million-plus. As recently as September, Parry ruled out sharing with Everton and said Liverpool would pull out of building the ground if it threatened to over-extend the club.

Parry said then: "We will not bankrupt ourselves or over-extend the club. It is not just a case of whether we can find the money, it is about whether we can pay it back."

Everton's financial position meant they had to drop their plans to move to a new ground at King's Dock some time ago.

The development with Caborn means that talks about sharing are not just back on but have moved into a completely new area."
spud

Postby The_Rock » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:07 pm

oh my god !!!!!!!!!!!
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:13 pm

They can fook off, I don't wanna share with that shower of sh1t3 :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:27 pm

We should stay at anfield for a few more years until the team is finally winning the premierships & champions leagues. Then only shd a move be considered. Now with the rebuilding of the team & a new stadium and all, i guess the board is coming to a desperate decision...which they will regret later.
Last edited by The_Rock on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Could be a very sensible move for everyone concerned.
Input of Government money, Local Development Agency funding etc.
This would allow LFC to concentrate on building the team.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:07 pm

taken from Liverpoolfc.tv today:

Liverpool today insisted their position remains unchanged regarding the possibility of sharing a stadium with Everton. 
Reports have indicated a groundsharing scheme is back on the agenda, but the Reds remain focused on creating a new super stadium on Stanley Park for their sole use.

Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "The position of Liverpool Football Club remains unchanged. We have asked the North West Development Agency to consider our grant application on the basis of our single club use of a new stadium. This is a point we have made repeatedly to the NWDA.

"This application isn't just about a new stadium. It is about a project which will act as a major catalyst for the regeneration of the whole of North Liverpool.

"It will bring proven benefits to the whole of the local community and it is time there were signs of real progress on delivering these
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby adayinthelife » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:09 pm

Redrider wrote:Could be a very sensible move for everyone concerned.
Input of Government money, Local Development Agency funding etc.
This would allow LFC to concentrate on building the team.

Without having our own ground ???

No chance.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:12 pm

It will never happen most evertonians I know wont even go to anfield on a derby day, never mind share a ground with us :angry:
Leave them where they are, and I agree with The rock leave things the way they are till we start winning something.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:26 pm

Why should we buy a ground for the bluesh*te to use? It's not as if they'd have any money to put into it :angry:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:33 pm

Rafael Benitez is of the firm belief that a shared stadium between Liverpool and Everton is not a good idea. 
On the day Anfield officials dismissed reports that they are considering the possibility of groundsharing with their Mersey neighbours, Benitez has fully backed the club's stance.

"Talk of two teams sharing a stadium always causes problems and in my view it would not work," says the Reds boss.

"It would not be good for the pitch, because obviously there would be double the amount of games played on it, and it would not be good for the supporters of Liverpool or Everton.

"Both are teams with lots of supporters and each have their own identity. By sharing a stadium with their rival team they would lose that.

"If the only option is to share then fair enough but it is better to have your own stadium. I know from my time in Spain that groundsharing is not popular.

"In Madrid you have Real and Atletico, in Valencia you have Valencia and Levante, in Barcelona you have Barca and Espanyol, and in Sevilla you have Sevilla and Betis. They all have their own stadiums. That is what the supporters want.

"True, Inter and AC share a stadium in Milan, but look at their pitch? It is not good. Also, in terms of atmosphere it is better that a team plays in its own stadium.

"In five years time we hope to be playing good football in our own new stadium."
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:39 pm

Blue SH**s will only stink the stadium. As the saying goes, there are only 2 teams in merseyside and Blue SH**s ain't one of them  :D
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mottman » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:39 pm

I'd rather eat my own ****** than sit in a shared stadium...
mottman

Postby The_Rock » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 pm

lakes10 wrote:Also, in terms of atmosphere it is better that a team plays in its own stadium.

The atmosphere will suck big time. Can't imagine a stadium painted both red & blue ....... :O  (Can't find any smiley that denotes puking  :D ).
Last edited by The_Rock on Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion