Great result but i still have questions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:53 am

As most I was well chuft with the result yesterday, my only problem is that yesterday Wigan defended very high which allowed us space behind the back four thus the 3 goals, against others we have struggled to break teams down when they have defended deep, I just wonder could it have been a different story if Wigan have defended deeper like they did in the second half which frustrated us a little more.

Just a point I want to raise, still hopefully this is a confidence building result and we can go on from here  :eyebrow
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:22 am

that just highlights Wigans ignorance to me. the fact they are the home side means emphasis is placed on them to come out in search of opportunities. basically they switched off, forgetting to do the basics through 'haste' and over exuberrance, got hit early on and never regained composure after that. But if the system Rafa adopted yesterday is anything to go by..4-1-3-2. id expect some measure of success with it on the road, elsewhere in future as well. Sure there isnt going to be a Wigan put infront of them week after week. But the efficiency of yesterdays plan, worked out well because of two things: their ageing defence pressing high, allowing the space in behind, which is bread and butter to Bellamy (reinvigorated after his acquittal).  And the fact that, second half, Wigan pressed forward with a little more discipline in their defence (yet failed to get really tested due to the game already being over from Liverpools, point of view).  allowing our lads the luxury of concentrating on repelling any threat. ( unlike the panic witnessed against Galatasaray/Reading etc where we did go 2 or 3 goals to the good yet fortunately prevailed.) this time there was far less 'nervousness' all round, and plenty of assured possession, albeit with an eye (this time) on keeping the back door firmly bolted. For me, yesterdays back four (while not exactly battered) held up well and better than previously seen. the full-backs were involved, less onus was placed on using the 'bomb' up to the front men. and in general there was a degree of comfort allowed due to the generosity of Wigan's play- especially first half. Not going to happen every away day, by any stretch of the imagination. Though nonetheless restorative to the teams confidence. Particularly the goal diff. column.- Ta very much Latics!!  :;):  Patience..patience and more patient, composed - measured (calculating) play, is the order of the day i feel.  Lets see it kick-on from here, midweek and beyond. (this time last year we were about to embark on two long unbeaten runs over the winter)...here's to maintaining an air of respectability, if not some consolation from an awkward campaign thus far, by doing the same.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redsfan5 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:47 am

long as we win i dont care wat the other team did :D  but hopefully we start playing a bit bettr... gerrards hit his spark again crouch is playing incredible kuyt is absolutley brilliant and the team as a whole is coming together... to bad i dont get to see all of the games cuz america is to obsessed with american football to play a real game
Redsfan5

Postby babu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:16 am

The keys to that match:

- Wigan defended high, allowing the through ball to bellamy. (good on them i reckon, becuase they at least tried to play attacking football)
- Our passing in the main was accurate (recently our passing was shocking)
- Not many backpasses from Alonso
- When we had the ball in the back or midfield, we always had options
- Steven Gerrard was on fire
- pretty poor finishing from wigan

While it was a good game to watch, wigan did allow us to play, through their poor finishing and high backline. People who say SG's effectiveness is measured by his goal scoring record should watch yesterday's game. He was AWESOME.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:13 pm

babu wrote:While it was a good game to watch, wigan did allow us to play, through their poor finishing and high backline.

Thats my point, will we be able to break down teams away when their organised because we haven't been able to yet, good result but like you said Wigan let us play and it wasn't us who broke them down, when we beat teams by breaking them down like the Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal's do then I'll be happy.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Of course it would have been different. Wigan surprised me last year when they played with so advanced defence in Anfield. Playing that way has it risks, and it's not necessarily ignorant. Playing that way tries to minimize the amount of field that you give to the oposition, they tried to strangle Alonso and our middle of the park and if the line of defence does his job well you can leave off side the oposition many times.

I think that they're valiant doing that and wise. Some coaches bet on changing their formation and tactics depending on the oposition they have. Wigan instead tried to do the stuff they know well. And I'm not against that.

Rafa showed he knows his tactics and also showed why it was a game for Bellamy and not Fowler for instance. Our deep squad pays it's dividends.

There are not magical formulas in football. Sevilla beat Barcelona in the European supercup doing exactly what Wigan did against us 3-0. THey played the same bloody way in the liga shortly after. They lose. Wrong tactics? I don't know!  ???  ???
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion