Got to admire rafa! - Very good with transfers!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:30 pm

Rafael Benitez has revealed that Fernando Morientes is not Liverpool's only option when it comes to signing a striker during the January transfer window. 
Benitez has made no secret of his desire to sign the Real Madrid striker and the player himself has admitted that he'd like to join the Reds.

But confusion now surrounds any apparent deal after new Real Madrid boss Wanderley Luxemburgo insisted he does not want to sell Morientes to a 'rival club' like Liverpool.

With today being a public holiday in Spain Benitez has nothing new to report but did not appear to be too worried when Liverpoolfc.tv caught up with him this afternoon.

He says: "Today is a holiday in Spain so nothing new is going to happen. He (Morientes) has said that he wants to play for Liverpool though and for a Real Madrid player to say that means we must be a good club.

"It is still a possibility but we will know more in two or three days. We also have other options and they (Real) know that. It's best not to mention names in the press though because the players concerned will then end up being more expensive." 

you have to admire the man, he really does know what he is doing and we are all guilty, myself included, of being frustrated and questioning some of his actions! hes not gonna be held to ransom over morientes he knows and apparently real know that there is more strikers out there that he has his eye on! but he never says who they are cos the price will only go up when the papers start to speculate!

it was the same during the summer when it looked like we were signing nobody, and only josemi was in, we all started to scratch our heads and think what was going on, then bang, alonso and garcia two great players signed at reasonable prices for their respective quality!

very interested to see who he has up his sleeve!

was also every interesting to read what he had to say about pellegrino, he admitted to what we were all moaning about, no pace, but says he signed him cos his positional awareness is the best in the business!

rafa's a class act  :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:32 pm

Top freakin notch.

He is everything that Houllier was not in the transfer market.

ICE MAN apologises to Rafa, read all about it  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:40 pm

yeah i know leon, im scared too, i was seriously annoyed yesterday bout pellegrino coming and the lack of any striker transfer rumours, and thought to myself were gonna end up having to play kewell and garcia up front again before the end of the season, but im more optimistic now, there should be a compulsory everyday interview with rafa to clear up our doubts :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Am looking forward to see who he brings in I think that he might pull a suprise off and we'll all be buzzing.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:01 pm

I love the way Rafa keeps his cards close to his chest, he goes about his business in the old Liverpool way by keeping himself to himself, thats why I'm sure he will be a success at Anfield :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SteveGInDaHouse » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:06 pm

OOOh it's very interessting!
SteveGInDaHouse

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:12 pm

being realistic who would u like to see get signed by rafa?

have to admit morientes would still be my first choice hes a proven goalscorer and winner! :cool:

hope we sign at least another two players after pellegrino, but i cant see two more strikers come in :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:14 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:being realistic who would u like to see get signed by rafa?

have to admit morientes would still be my first choice hes a proven goalscorer and winner! :cool:

hope we sign at least another two players after pellegrino, but i cant see two more strikers come in :cool:

I'd like to see Morientes, Cudicini and Aimar at Anfield  :)  :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:21 pm

yeah good call, i would be delighted if we got those three players, would definitely improve the squad and make competition for places fierce! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Rimetto » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Paul C wrote:I'd like to see Morientes, Cudicini and Aimar at Anfield  :)  :cool:

Three very good players that would really improve the team.

For the first time in years i have confidence that the manager will buy players that will improve the team not just through money away like the last lot
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:49 pm

I still think Anelka can do it for us,
If you think about he is no stranger to winning things such as the treble with arsenal and the champions league with Madrid,
plust he can play in the champions league which is a major thing for me,
id like to see a center mid come in to take over salif and give gerrard and hamman a break when needed.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:15 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:it was the same during the summer when it looked like we were signing nobody, and only josemi was in, we all started to scratch our heads and think what was going on, then bang, alonso and garcia two great players signed at reasonable prices for their respective quality!

very interested to see who he has up his sleeve!

This is NOT an attack on Rafa,

BUT  :D

So far his dealings in the transfer market with the exception of Alonso have been decidely average . Nunez and Josemi are not exactly setting the team on fire and Garcia despite the handful of goals scored is beginning to pi'ss me off more and more with each appearance. I've lost count of the number of times the fella has needlessly given the ball away with some silly flick that looks clever when it comes off but 90% of the time goes to the opposition.

I'm pretty sure that Rafa can lead us on to better things , I just wish he had the money available to help him do it.
:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby liamac » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:40 pm

Ok granted Josemi hasnt fulfilled his full potential , but he isnt garbage either  .
Nunez crooked as soon as he got here and part of a package for Owen , needs time  simple as.

Alonso is pure class and one of the best buys i can remember , and a steal at 11million , on the market  (not injured ) 20million plus.

Garcia , yes again can drive you nuts  , but at times  the little man is pure class. Same vein as Kewell i think, drops in and out of games.

Raffa hasnt made  any  signings from  my own point of view that  can be deemed  bad signings , certainly   not in the same  class  as some of the real howlers that Houllier made , or for that matter Souness...............anyone remember Julian Dicks?

Have faith in the boss, he keeps his cards close to his chest, we will know who he  has signed  when Raffa is good and ready to tell us and not before
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby tel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:31 am

This is a quality thread.

Too right that Rafa appears very shrewd about transfers.

I'm sure he has 3 or 4 players in mind, but will hold out to get them at the right price, whether now or in the summer.

Until then, he'll plug gaps with players like Pellegrino & Josemi.

This is a long term minded coach and he's going to keep his powder dry to build a winning team over many seasons, not just worry about proving himself in his 1st.
tel

Postby akumaface » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:49 am

I think no matter how good a manager you are, you are not going to have everyone signed turned into the saviour of the team. There are bound to be mistake and I think in the case of Rafa, he had done really ok considering the balance of the quality of the player and the amount of transfer fees spent. He is not going to throw money around just for the sake of making a transfer and is looking at a more long term prospective. If he can't get his player now at a fair market price, I think he will wait for the right timing to do it.

One of the thing he impresses me is that he is low key and is the get things done kind of guy. Also, he is being frank and make sense when he talks. I'm sure we are in good hand. If it means to sacrifice this year for the glory of next ten years, so be it.:;):
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion