Goalkeeper - Top priority is a keeper

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:21 am

I think our top priority this summer must be to get a new keeper. I know we need a centre half as well but Dudek isn't good enough, Kirkland is injured nore than he is fit. Haven't seen much of Carson so don't want to comment on him yet.
I know this is dreaming but if we could get Cudicini it would be great. Best keeper in the league last year
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 am

There is an acute shortage of top quality keepers

Other than Cassilas, Buffon and some are aguing for Cech as well...

are there any great keepers who can compare to those who have gone before?
they used to say that a top quality keeper was worth a striker who scores 20 goals a season. well these days its a lot easier to find the striker than the keeper:blues:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 am

Your rigth there I don't think there are many top keepers around at the minute. Just look at the trouble Arsneal an Manure are having. But you never now what is around Czech wasn't that big a name untill this season. So hopefully Rafa has someone in mind
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:11 pm

In my opinion, new goalkeepers are the last position that we need to sought for. Remember, we just bought talented Carson and Dudek is coming good after decent performance against Leverkusen. We need center backs desperately more than any other positions. We need someone strong, speedy, and stable enough to partner Carragher (around 3-4 million), Sami aint at his best anymore.

Second, we need a decent winger (around 5+ million), particularly right sided ones. Garcia and Nunez do not seem to perform consistently week in week out, though Garcia has been improving. As for left sided ones, I still think Riise aint up to a good enough standard. Despite amount of goals delivered so far this season, i have not honestly seen him delivered a decent cross into the box. Need i even mention Kewell? However, both Nunez and Garcia are better in the crossing departments than their left sided compartriots Riise and Kewell.

Some say we need strikers, but I think we do have enough, unless Baros opts to leave in the summer. The recovery of Mellor, Sinama Pongo, and Cisse allow Rafa more than enough options (5). We already have decent strikers and arguable semi world class players in Cisse, Morientes, and Baros. Pongolle and Mellor can add on as valuable backups.

When Alonso recovers, we would than have an abundant amount of center mids in Biscan, Alonso, Gerrard, and Hamann. Unless Gerarrd departs us, which is not what i want to happen, we would need to replace him with another world class center mid (around 15+ million, that is if Gerrard leaves, allowing Rafa the money to purchase).
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:13 pm

im with militia
dudek and carson will do me for the next few seasons, lets sort out the defence please and some mroe midfield
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:45 pm

We also need a good left-back
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wangowen9924 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:41 pm

[quote="hawkmoon269"][/quote]
I think a center-back is needed
wangowen9924

Postby 1234ram » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:45 pm

yeah gt a italian center back like nesta or canavaro:)
1234ram

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:50 pm

arent nesta and canavaro getting on a bit now?
id go withj the boss and try to buy upson, but the buy back clause the goons have could scupper that deal.
As for left back, im happy with warnock and traore for now, not a massive influx of left backs to chopose from. we can always play risse there as well.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:49 pm

carson might be the one to make the keepers spot his own, we just never know.

for me, the top priority is to find a top class centre half to replace sami. where you get one from thought is anyone's guess. i wouldn't be surprised to see someone from la liga come in to be honest.

we missed the boat with tom huddlestone from derby. he's a quality prospect from what i've seen of him. he's off to spurs though. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:08 pm

What about Ayala for centre back we were linked with him when Rafa first came. He is quality

LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:12 pm

My opinion:

1st Choice - Chris Kirkland, I know he didnt impress during his spell this season, but I still beleive he can become the undisputed number 1 at this club for a long time. He will be back in time for pre-seaon and I would tell him that he is my number 1, after 20 or 30 games he will be settled with the team and more importantly with the defenders. Has the size, stength and agility, just a question of whether he has the concentration.

2nd Choice - Scott Carson, Would play him regulary in the reserves and have him on the bench. He is U21 number 1, but havent seen much of him, but looks like he has the natural attributes to be a good keeper.

3rd Choice - New Keeper, I would like us to go for an expericed goal keeper who would be happy to provide back up to Kirkland and Carson and help with thier development. The goal keeper would have to be over 35 otherwise I doubt he will except being 3rd choice. I think we should get Paul Jones and maybe give him a player/coach contract.

Dudek,Luzi and Harrsion can leave in the summer.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:14 pm

Sorry, I double posted.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:14 pm

will kirkland realistically ever be able to play 20-30 games on the spin though? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:17 pm

stmichael wrote:will kirkland realistically ever be able to play 20-30 games on the spin though? ???

I know he has had injuries, but we dont know whether it is down to bad luck or some sort of medical problem. I would presume it has just been bad luck, because if he had a medical problem we would have heard about it by now.

And even if he did get injured we would have Carson to come in and Jones to provide backup.
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion